PDA

View Full Version : Second comic convention appearance...

Stewart Vernon
11-20-2015, 09:02 PM
A friend who runs the Raleigh Comic Book show has asked me back again as a guest, this time for his December post-Christmas show. I actually was a guest at his show in August 2014 too.

My first guest appearance was not smooth. I was just at that time getting my blog up and running, my sister was about to have another baby, and the entire week before the convention (and some after as well) my sister and the new baby were in the hospital. All was ultimately well, but it was really hectic.

I was about 30 minutes late to that show, and woefully unprepared to talk about myself and engage guests.

So... a few lessons learned from that, and I'm hoping to take better advantage of the platform this time around.

I have a lot more content on my blog, have drawn a lot more different things in the last year, and I have a comic strip ('Sects) that has been running a year now. I plan on promoting that as much as I can with some freebies that I need to work on creating in time for the show.

I'm also thinking I need a banner, though I'm on a budget, and am considering bringing some original art (hand-drawn and not just stuff I'm printing that I drew digitally) in case anyone wants to buy anything.

One thing that worked really well, was bringing my iPad so I could show people my blog. This time I'll have a lot more live and archived content and that's a cool thing to be able to keep it locked on my blog and be able to quickly switch to different art or comic strip episodes. It also comes in handy for sketches where I need photo reference or character costume reference that I can google really quickly to make the sketch!

So... I know what I didn't know the first time around... but I know there's a lot I still don't know. Anybody have any helpful thoughts or suggestions? Comments and even insults are welcome! :)

Artloader
11-24-2015, 08:17 AM
Will you be selling T-Shirts and mugs and the like? From what I've seen of your art I think it would transfer well into that kind of merchandise.

Hope it goes well for you anyway mate.

Areocube
11-24-2015, 12:18 PM
If you are looking to have a custom banner created, check out www.bannersonthecheap.com

I have been doing business with this company for a good while and I would definitely recommend.

Stewart Vernon
11-24-2015, 10:30 PM
I've just began to think about merchandising. I'm going to make some freebie character cards for the show, and probably bring some original art and maybe be able to draw a thing or two at the show if anyone wants... but I'm not quite ready to have an actual comic for sale yet (though I'm working towards that)... and haven't figured out what other merchandise I might like.

I would like to have some t-shirts with a few things I've done. I have a couple of good one-liners from some characters that I think would make for a good t-shirt. I'm just not ready to do all that on a 1-month turnaround. It's something I'll have to aim towards for sometime next year maybe.

Thanks too for the suggestion on the Banner Web site. I'll definitely check that out. For this show, I might have to make something myself here due to time and budget constraints... but ultimately I would like to have a real banner like I've seen other professionals hang behind themselves.

Stewart Vernon
11-28-2015, 12:30 AM
Finally dug out and cleaned up the old paper cutter... First thing I did was cut me some "test" artist cards out of silver age backing boards that I have.

The boards I have are 7"x10.5" 24pt (0.024" thick) and they cut up nicely into a total of eight, at 2.5"x3.5" with only a couple of slivers leftover.

I've been using comic boards to sketch on lately, and have gotten original sketches from other pros in years past on them. What I don't know is how these compare with the typical blanks that you might get from an art supply store.

The advantage to me of making my own, though, is saving money and getting to choose my paper color and thickness from pretty much all existing paper. Just happens at the moment the best paper I have are these acid free boards.

I may try to sketch some before the convention in December... and take some blanks with me in case people want some at the show. Not sure at this point if I should plan on giving some away or trying to sell them. Probably depends on what kind of ideas I have for them.