PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Bishop
10-23-2015, 02:29 PM
I can't believe this isn't posted here already...

sGbxmsDFVnE

I've been skeptical of this movie due to my general distaste for the prequels, but this trailer has piqued my interest. I am really looking forward to the movie now.

Duane Korslund
10-23-2015, 02:30 PM
fortunately...George Lucas bowed out of 99% of it, so there is hope...

Bishop
10-23-2015, 05:05 PM
fortunately...George Lucas bowed out of 99% of it, so there is hope...

Yes. Lucas giving up his rights to the property is the best thing to happen to the property since Empire Strikes Back.

Stewart Vernon
10-24-2015, 12:19 AM
What's kind of amusing is listening to all the people online grumbling about how JJ Abrams is going to "screw it up" and realizing many of those are the same people who grumbled that George Lucas already screwed it up... so it's like, if you already think the creator screwed it up, how bad can Abrams do?

For me... I have a wait and see approach. I really want it to be good, but I'm keeping my expectations in check so I can be entertained.

Buckyrig
10-24-2015, 02:37 PM
What's kind of amusing is listening to all the people online grumbling about how JJ Abrams is going to "screw it up" and realizing many of those are the same people who grumbled that George Lucas already screwed it up... so it's like, if you already think the creator screwed it up, how bad can Abrams do?

For me... I have a wait and see approach. I really want it to be good, but I'm keeping my expectations in check so I can be entertained.

Well, Abrams is sort of the king of Not Quite. I didn't watch Lost, but people loved it . . . then it fell apart on them. Star Trek was good, but it was still a flatter version of the series. Super 8 captured all the atmosphere and general feeling of an old school Spielberg movie . . . then turned into modern action-horror pablum.

He tends to do reasonable facsimiles, but never quite with the that spark that made what he's aping work as well as it did.

Bishop
10-24-2015, 04:05 PM
I thought his Trek movies were the best of the series. Super 8 was okay, but not memorable. His Mission Impossible (3, I think) was reasonably good as well. I am hoping his Star Wars is as good as it should be.

DJA
10-24-2015, 04:40 PM
I think the fact that he is only directing and not writing should ease up some worries from prior projects of his.

Moonrider
10-25-2015, 12:19 PM
I thought his Trek movies were the best of the series. Super 8 was okay, but not memorable. His Mission Impossible (3, I think) was reasonably good as well. I am hoping his Star Wars is as good as it should be.

Into Darkness was crap, but I blame it more on Lindelof's script.

DJA
10-25-2015, 08:08 PM
lindelof sucks. Blame him for Prometheus as well.

Bishop
10-25-2015, 10:28 PM
I liked Into Darkness and was okay with Prometheus. Prometheus was a mess, but I have a soft spot for most anything set in the Alien universe.

DJA
10-26-2015, 03:25 PM
Bishop you should find the original Prometheus script. It's online and it was amazing. Same structure as the one filmed but all the stuff that didn't make sense was in the original script.

Bishop
10-26-2015, 05:01 PM
Bishop you should find the original Prometheus script. It's online and it was amazing. Same structure as the one filmed but all the stuff that didn't make sense was in the original script.

Yeah. I read that too. I wonder whether they shot the pieces that tied stuff together and it ended up on the editing room floor, or did they cut it from the shoot altogether...

Moonrider
10-27-2015, 12:34 PM
I'm hoping that none of the new characters introduced in The Force Awakens so far are related with the Skywalkers by blood. I'd like to think that the whole conflict is a lot bigger than their clan's role in history.

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
10-27-2015, 01:37 PM
The Star Wars universe - much as I love it - is a very incestuous one. It really would be nice to have some fresh evil. :)

Bishop
10-27-2015, 01:55 PM
The Star Wars universe - much as I love it - is a very incestuous one. It really would be nice to have some fresh evil. :)

Agreed. This is why I would love for them to adapt the Heir to the Empire series. Admiral Thrawn is a great villain.

Buckyrig
10-27-2015, 02:43 PM
Agreed. This is why I would love for them to adapt the Heir to the Empire series. Admiral Thrawn is a great villain.

Thrawn is great because he was designed to be a great prose villain. All that thoughtfulness and measured reaction works in print in a way that larger-than-life character like Vader wouldn't.

And in an action-adventure movie, I think that goes in reverse.

Bishop
10-27-2015, 03:10 PM
Thrawn is great because he was designed to be a great prose villain. All that thoughtfulness and measured reaction works in print in a way that larger-than-life character like Vader wouldn't.

And in an action-adventure movie, I think that goes in reverse.

You're probably right, but that series had enough tension and action/adventure to fill the gap, I think. Of course, I haven't read them since they were first published, so my nostalgia may be making it better than it was.

dannycruz
10-29-2015, 11:09 PM
I think the fact that he is only directing and not writing should ease up some worries from prior projects of his.

actually, he's one of the writers as well as one of the producers..

i'm pretty excited for the movie myself.

Moonrider
10-30-2015, 12:21 AM
The writing credit for The Force Awakens only listed JJ Abrams, Lawrence Kasdan, and Michael Arndt. Lucas probably only get credits for the original characters. Lucas is not credited as a producer either.

Bishop
10-30-2015, 12:58 AM
My understanding was that Lucas pitched some ideas but they all got nixed. He had a rough draft of the next trilogy that was supposedly completely disregarded.

dannycruz
10-30-2015, 07:04 AM
The writing credit for The Force Awakens only listed JJ Abrams, Lawrence Kasdan, and Michael Arndt. Lucas probably only get credits for the original characters. Lucas is not credited as a producer either.

he was talking about abrams not lucas..

Moonrider
11-02-2015, 04:58 AM
Okay.