PDA

View Full Version : Luke... Listen to the Force!

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
10-23-2015, 08:23 AM
Sooo.... How's about that rumor that Luke has gone to the Dark Side in The Force Awakens... I'm sure it's just a rumor, but that could be interesting. No? And I'm bummed as hell that I can't find anywhere to get advance tickets near here. :(

Duane Korslund
10-23-2015, 09:16 AM
My theory is that he probably wont be in most of this movie...its gonna be The Search For Luke...that or he's really Chewbacca....

Bishop
10-23-2015, 09:25 AM
I think he will be in a self imposed exile, and will only be seen towards the end of the movie. I like the idea that he may be leaning toward the dark side and struggling with that.

Duane Korslund
10-23-2015, 09:39 AM
perfect opportunity for Kylo Ren to come in and try to tip him over the edge...maybe looking someone to teach him

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
10-23-2015, 11:45 AM
I'm wondering if Luke is the guy behind the mask in the teasers. I thought maybe they'd be bringing in Jacen and Jaina from the books (I adored Jaina), but think they've tossed all that out the window?

Duane Korslund
10-23-2015, 11:59 AM
Yes, the books are tossed out the window...Unless by some miracle they're making Rey Jaina and its just been hush hush, but the official word is that the Expanded Universe never happened. They've rebranded all media from the expanded universe as "legends" and there for just alternate reality stories. Which really saddens me...25 years of lore...gone.

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
10-23-2015, 12:26 PM
Agreed. Unless they're fooling us so we cannot guess anything?

Duane Korslund
10-23-2015, 12:34 PM
i hope...but I doubt it...I could only hope they'd keep elements of the EU...like...Han and Leia at LEAST being married...but I don't know if they'll even grant us that.

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
10-23-2015, 01:38 PM
The girl - I forget her name - in the previews, looks like Jaina would look, however.

Dunno. Wouldn't put it pasts LF and Bad Robot to be messing with us.

Duane Korslund
10-23-2015, 02:29 PM
Yeah, Rey...if anyone is Jaina...it'll be her...either Jaina or well...she could take Ben Skywalkers place...it is all about the Skywalker family, and there will need to be an Heir if they movies are going to go forward....

dannycruz
10-29-2015, 11:35 PM
i'm thinking that we're going to find out that kylo ren and rey are brother and sister. if you saw the latest poster, you can see how their weapons are lined up parallel to one another. seems as if it's a bit of symbolism going on there...at least it looks that way to me.

also, i don't think luke is kylo ren because they show the back of his head unmasked in the latest trailer and you can see that it's adam driver not mark hamill.

and i'm wondering if they're just going to cherry pick different aspects from the EU and do with them what they please because it's pretty obvious that kylo ren's look is based on darth revan from the knights of the old republic video game..

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CRnIPhQUYAAoupy.jpg

cheeseisgood1918
11-01-2015, 10:02 AM
There are tons of theories going around about Ren is working for, Supreme Leader Snoke. Some folks thinks that is Luke somehow, though I doubt it. There are a lot of theories about Ren himself as well. One theory states that he's actually a hero. That when he says he's going to "finish what you started", and you see Vader's helmet, he means that he's going to continue bringing balance the The Force. I can't remember the details, because I've read so many theories lately.

Here's my favorite theory so far. Mostly, it has to do with the prequels, but there is a pretty large tie in to the new movies toward the end. It's a long read, and I don't think it'll turn out to be accurate, but it's pretty compelling nonetheless: https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWars/comments/3qvj6w/theory_jar_jar_binks_was_a_trained_force_user/

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
11-01-2015, 08:38 PM
My eyes jammed at Jar Jar Binks.... :D

cheeseisgood1918
11-01-2015, 10:43 PM
My eyes jammed at Jar Jar Binks.... :D

Yeah, it's tough to get past that, but it actually is a pretty convincing theory if you're willing to believe that Lucas is a master story craftsman (and I really don't think he is). If this was his true intention for the character, and he had stuck with it until the bitter end, we may all have looked at the prequels very differently.

For anyone interested, here's the abridged version of the theory:

Essentially, this centers around Jar-Jar Binks being either a secret Darth, or possibly even the true Supreme Sith leader. The theory asserts that Jar-Jar's bumbling, racially-insensitive demeanor is a farce he uses to gain the trust of the Republic's key figures. Because of Binks' tendency to "accidentally" win battles by seeming to bumble through them to unlikely victory every time, this is too much of a coincidence for this particular theorist.

He exhibits effortless gymnastic abilities at times. Not only is this a strange trait to give such a clumsy character, but really the only other characters that tend to have these kinds of hyper-athletic abilities in the SWU are Force-users.

It also makes sense that he can use the Force if you think about it in the context of his later appearances as a Senator. That's not the kind of position you assign to an idiot. Maybe he manipulated his way into his senate seat with Force Persuasion?

There are plenty of other talking points. Things slightly more minor, so I'll bullet them quickly:

-Binks is from the same planet as Palpatine, which could mean they knew each other before the events of the films. Meaning one could have influenced the other early on.

-Being a Force user may explain why the other Gungans shun him.

-It would give a much better reason for Qui Gon to take him with in the first place. Either Jar Jar is powerful enough to have influenced him, or QGJ simply sensed the Force within him, and was going to leave him with the council once he had straightened out the events of Phantom Menace, but never got the chance.

And finally, it would set up the true Master for the new movies. We don't know much about Snoke, other than Andy Serkis is doing the mocap for him. If JJB was some sort of all powerful Sith Lord the whole time, he's still out there somewhere, biding his time. Now he's ready to appear.

There are quite a few links to evidence in the original write up, so if any of this interests you, I recommend reading that, as I'm sure I missed several important points.

All in all, I think it's an interesting theory that won't amount to much. Because the far more likely scenario is that Lucas made a bunch of plans for a really terrible character because he didn't listen to the people around him when making the prequels. He let his ego get in the way, and the spirit of collaboration that made the original Trilogy great, were completely lost in the prequels.

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
11-02-2015, 07:24 AM
Ok... I guess... I guess in the right hands it could be the most unexpected plot twist ever... but there could be public health risks involved. People would die laughing.

cheeseisgood1918
11-02-2015, 08:45 AM
Ok... I guess... I guess in the right hands it could be the most unexpected plot twist ever... but there could be public health risks involved. People would die laughing.

When I first read it, that's what I thought, too. I figure, if there's one single thing that could destroy Star Wars as a franchise, it would be if this happened. People just wouldn't be able to handle this buffoon of a character as a serious villain.

People have really glommed onto it, though. It's even been featured in WIRED (http://www.wired.com/2015/10/insane-star-wars-theory/).

Lord Fejj
11-07-2015, 04:00 AM
I've not read the books (my son loves them) but I would love to see Luke go to the Dark side! (and come back)...
I don't follow Star Wars enough to hear rumors or know what's going on, but if Jar Jar was a Sith, that would be awesome!

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
11-10-2015, 10:45 AM
but if Jar Jar was a Sith, that would be awesome!

Actually no. It wouldn't. Banish the thought. :p

Angel
11-16-2015, 09:20 PM
I think Abrams and co. could easily pretend that the prequels never really happened since the prequels pretty much pretended that 3-6 never happened.

omega sentry
11-23-2015, 11:26 PM
To be honest if you look at the clues this is the story of the Skywalker solo family. It is why Luke is not in the poster or any promotional stuff.

I really think that Finn is the half brother of Rey, and Ren Calling it right now. I think Finn will be Han solos' son from another women who was force sensitive. I would go with him being obi's son, but the fact that this is a Skywalker-solo family story leads me to this.

No one would see this coming because Finn is black, and the fact that this would be to obvious of a plot that mimics the first trilogy a lot.

But if you look back at how Disney keeps making 1,2, and 3 relevant by insinuating that those movies mirror 4,5, and 6's journey I don't see why they wouldn't mirror 7,8, and 9 the same way.

Duane Korslund
11-24-2015, 09:09 AM
To be honest if you look at the clues this is the story of the Skywalker solo family. It is why Luke is not in the poster or any promotional stuff.

I really think that Finn is the half brother of Rey, and Ren Calling it right now. I think Finn will be Han solos' son from another women who was force sensitive. I would go with him being obi's son, but the fact that this is a Skywalker-solo family story leads me to this.

No one would see this coming because Finn is black, and the fact that this would be to obvious of a plot that mimics the first trilogy a lot.

But if you look back at how Disney keeps making 1,2, and 3 relevant by insinuating that those movies mirror 4,5, and 6's journey I don't see why they wouldn't mirror 7,8, and 9 the same way.

Also Finn is waaaaaay too young to be Obi Wans son...Obi Wan died 40 years ago on this timeline...Finn is like....what? 25? Maybe 30? Unless....carbon freezing!
Id say its more probable that Han, Leia, and Lando got drunk one night and got a little weird...

Buckyrig
11-24-2015, 10:59 AM
So, who's going to see Creed this week?

dannycruz
11-24-2015, 02:37 PM

That theory doesn't work if han and leia have been together since jedi...which is 30 years earlier and Finn is a 20-something.
If it ends up that Finn's parentage is tied to one of the OT principals, it'd seem most likely that he's Luke's kid.
Interestingly, the two attires that we've seen Finn wearing were also attires that Luke had worn in A New Hope-the Stormtrooper uniform and the tan jacket over the dark outfit that he wore at the Yavin 4 ceremony. That and a couple of other things in the trailers kind of suggest that Finn's journey mirrors Luke's in episode 4.

Duane Korslund
11-24-2015, 02:40 PM
That theory doesn't work if han and leia have been together since jedi...which is 30 years earlier and Finn is a 20-something.
If it ends up that Finn's parentage is tied to one of the OT principals, it'd seem most likely that he's Luke's kid.
Interestingly, the two attires that we've seen Finn wearing were also attires that Luke had worn in A New Hope-the Stormtrooper uniform and the tan jacket over the dark outfit that he wore at the Yavin 4 ceremony. That and a couple of other things in the trailers kind of suggest that Finn's journey mirrors Luke's in episode 4.

there's no guarantee that Han and Leia are together....They werent married by the end of Jedi, and of course they were married in the EU, but that's gone...I have this horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach that they're not together...

dannycruz
11-24-2015, 03:10 PM
Oh yeah, good point.
Though, I still think if he's gonna tie back to someone from the OT, it's gonna be Luke.

Moonrider
11-24-2015, 10:17 PM
Here's my prediction of the plot:
- Finn is a random stormtrooper with an affinity to the Force who probably have some vision or something from Luke.
- Poe was captured on Kylo Ren's ship, interrogated, then Finn helped him escape. They trade costumes? it looks like Finn's jacket was worn by Dameron. Anyways maybe Dameron knows and entrust him with an intel about Starkiller Base, head out to the Resistance stronghold and told Finn to meet him there.
- Finn may stole Anakin's lightsaber on their way out and then board a TIE fighter that crash landed on Jakku, meets Rey.
- Rey spent her days scavenging the ship graveyards, and probably found the Millenium Falcon there just rotting away, but she kind of fixed it with old parts.
- A pissed off Kylo Ren and the First Order stormtroopers attack Jakku looking for Finn, so Finn and Jake... err, Rey high tail it out of there riding on the old but still awesome Millenium Falcon. Destination? The Rebel... oh right, The Resistance base on some forest planet.
- On the way, they were boarded by our favorite happy go lucky duo Hung So Low and Chewie Baka. They get teary eyed finding their old flying trailer park home is still in working condition. Han agreed to bring them to the base to meet Leia. Who I suspect he still keep tabs on but not married or anything. Kind of like hippie old people.
- So they met Leia and Finn met Dameron again. Then either the First Order is coming to attack their base or the Resistance attack a First Order base from information gathered by Dameron and Finn. A battle ensue, and we get that scene where Finn fight that Stormtrooper with the anti-Jedi rod.
- I think they were given another mission to find Luke, probably make a stop along the way to meet Maz Kanata, then off to somewhere on the cold forest location. Somebody get killed in Rey's arms, and Finn face off with Kylo Ren. Or maybe... Gasp! Could Finn be the one to die and held by a tearful Rey? On his first outing in this new trilogy?
- Probably they get away somehow, then finally found Luke Skywalker. That's where the movie ends.

Or, it turned out that everything that happened in the movie is actually an imaginary tale in the mind of this little kid with all these Star Wars toys in his backyard. His parents must be rich. I hate him.

dannycruz
11-25-2015, 10:20 AM
yeah not bad but, that doesn't take into account all the other characters that are supposed to be in this like whoever Max Von Sydow and Andy Serkis are supposed to be playing. I'm assuming they're going to be major characters...?

And I hope Captain Phasma ends up doing something more than just looking cool. otherwise she's basically this trilogy's Boba Fett...great looking, bad ass character who didn't really do too much when you think about it.

Speaking of Fett.....I wonder if they're going to bring him back at all? His symbol is on one of the banners at that temple thing they're walking into. Plus, JJ Abrams seems to like to cater to fan service so I feel that might be likely..

omega sentry
11-25-2015, 08:42 PM

I can only argue this with, http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sana_Starros

Moonrider
11-25-2015, 11:48 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if Max Von Sydow is playing an elderly Boba Fett, though he doesn't look even remotely Samoan so probably not. Unless facial reconstructive surgery was involved. Serkis is playing Supreme Leader Snoke, who is described as huge and CGI. Heck, he could be a massive frickin' Hutt for all we know. Most likely he's Kylo's boss.

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
11-26-2015, 09:03 AM
there's no guarantee that Han and Leia are together....They werent married by the end of Jedi, and of course they were married in the EU, but that's gone...I have this horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach that they're not together...

Really? Expanded Universe tossed out or not, I don't see how they could not be together. Not logically, anyway. Ohhhh.... wait a minute, every time I see the trailer I think Han and Leia are upset over one of their kids, when I suppose it could be Luke they are upset about.

Oh good grief. They can't have tossed out Jacen, Jaina, and Anakin completely. SO much is affected by them, well... Jacen and Jaina anyway. And eventually Luke's kid (spoiler) who ended up being trained by Jacen.

I'm going to see this thing on the 18th and just can't wait. It will certainly be different from the original trilogy, but will surely feel better than the last three. Though each of those last three did have one or two good moments. (I actually liked Revenge of the Sith).

Moonrider
11-28-2015, 11:52 PM
Here's another plot theory:
“Long ago, the races and planets of the New Galactic Republic lived together in harmony. Then, everything changed when the First Order attacked. Only the Jedi Master could stop them and bring balance to The Force, but when the world needed him most, he vanished. A hundred years passed and my Resistance pilot friend and I discovered the new Jedi, a former stormtrooper named Finn. And although his lightsaber skills are okay (I guess), he has a lot to learn before he’s ready to save anyone. But I believe Finn can save the world.”

Moonrider
12-19-2015, 09:15 AM
POSSIBLE SPOILERSSSSS

Here's my prediction of the plot:
- Finn is a random stormtrooper with an affinity to the Force who probably have some vision or something from Luke.
- Poe was captured on Kylo Ren's ship, interrogated, then Finn helped him escape. They trade costumes? it looks like Finn's jacket was worn by Dameron. Anyways maybe Dameron knows and entrust him with an intel about Starkiller Base, head out to the Resistance stronghold and told Finn to meet him there.
- Finn may stole Anakin's lightsaber on their way out and then board a TIE fighter that crash landed on Jakku, meets Rey.
- Rey spent her days scavenging the ship graveyards, and probably found the Millenium Falcon there just rotting away, but she kind of fixed it with old parts.
- A pissed off Kylo Ren and the First Order stormtroopers attack Jakku looking for Finn, so Finn and Jake... err, Rey high tail it out of there riding on the old but still awesome Millenium Falcon. Destination? The Rebel... oh right, The Resistance base on some forest planet.
- On the way, they were boarded by our favorite happy go lucky duo Hung So Low and Chewie Baka. They get teary eyed finding their old flying trailer park home is still in working condition. Han agreed to bring them to the base to meet Leia. Who I suspect he still keep tabs on but not married or anything. Kind of like hippie old people.
- So they met Leia and Finn met Dameron again. Then either the First Order is coming to attack their base or the Resistance attack a First Order base from information gathered by Dameron and Finn. A battle ensue, and we get that scene where Finn fight that Stormtrooper with the anti-Jedi rod.
- I think they were given another mission to find Luke, probably make a stop along the way to meet Maz Kanata, then off to somewhere on the cold forest location. Somebody get killed in Rey's arms, and Finn face off with Kylo Ren. Or maybe... Gasp! Could Finn be the one to die and held by a tearful Rey? On his first outing in this new trilogy?
- Probably they get away somehow, then finally found Luke Skywalker. That's where the movie ends.

Or, it turned out that everything that happened in the movie is actually an imaginary tale in the mind of this little kid with all these Star Wars toys in his backyard. His parents must be rich. I hate him.

Well, I didn't hit all of the plot lines correctly but I mostly got all the story beats in proper order. Yay.

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
12-20-2015, 09:43 AM
Dang, it was good... A bit "busy" but hey. Loved it. Lots of stuff to move forward with...! Even my daughter liked it.

Duane Korslund
12-21-2015, 09:51 AM
I thought it was pretty amazing...one or two things nagged at me pretty bad but definitely not enough to not love it.

Jason Powell
12-21-2015, 04:04 PM
I thought it was okay, at best. My Son and his friend liked it so it was not a total waste of money.

I think they did well with following current trends with the characters (metro sexual/emo Kylo Ren, female lead, and token back up comedic black guy - to prove there not sexist or racist), but I felt it was basically a rehash of the first trilogy (all shoved into one movie) except with a slight glimpse of originality. The SFX looked really good, though I kept waiting for Micky Mouse to show up.

The original cast seemed unneeded and really weak, though I doubt the movie would have done near as good without them passing the reins.

I can honestly say I will be skipping the sequels at the theater and wait for the DVDs but true fans seems to love it so... I mean I thought 50 SHADES OF GREY sucked but my wife has watched it 4 times already.

-Jason

dannycruz
12-21-2015, 05:15 PM
The original cast seemed unneeded and really weak, though I doubt the movie would have done near as good without them passing the reins.

i thought they did a great job utilizing the old cast. it felt like more of a solid transition from old to new rather than just a glorified cameo (like spock in the star trek films). harrison ford in particular was just awesome...he seemed like he was having fun with the role again. and i think it's great that this ended up being han's last appearance rather than return of the jedi, where he had nothing to do and just phoned it in.

Jason Powell
12-22-2015, 04:09 PM
i thought they did a great job utilizing the old cast. it felt like more of a solid transition from old to new rather than just a glorified cameo (like spock in the star trek films). harrison ford in particular was just awesome...he seemed like he was having fun with the role again. and i think it's great that this ended up being han's last appearance rather than return of the jedi, where he had nothing to do and just phoned it in.

While I concur that Han and Chewy were done the best, they still were a shadow of their former selves. And Leia, other than talking about Kylo being her son (which was repeated about 100 times), really wasn't needed at all. I mean her part could of easily been done by someone else. And Luke (even though I am sure he will have a bigger role in the next one) was just a stand in basically. It was like here is Han and Chewy, throw in a little Leia, give C3PO a stupid one liner, and oh yeah here is R2-D2 and Luke at the very end.

Don't get me wrong though. I do agree they should be shadows to build up the new cast but the new cast are basically a reimagining of the original cast with slight differences.

I mean you can take the new movie and point for point pick where they ripped off the original trilogy.

Can you tell me one holey new thing they did?

I understand this is more for a new generation rather then the original fans.

My son loved it.

But for me, other than a few brief moments it was boring and unoriginal.

Episodes 1, 2, and 3 at least gave you new story rather than rehashing 3, 4, and 5 (except for finding the most powerful, new, untrained, Jedi on a poor desert planet - that seems to happen in all the trilogies).

-Jason

Rob Norton
12-22-2015, 10:51 PM
While I concur that Han and Chewy were done the best, they still were a shadow of their former selves. And Leia, other than talking about Kylo being her son (which was repeated about 100 times), really wasn't needed at all. I mean her part could of easily been done by someone else. And Luke (even though I am sure he will have a bigger role in the next one) was just a stand in basically. It was like here is Han and Chewy, throw in a little Leia, give C3PO a stupid one liner, and oh yeah here is R2-D2 and Luke at the very end.

Don't get me wrong though. I do agree they should be shadows to build up the new cast but the new cast are basically a reimagining of the original cast with slight differences.

I mean you can take the new movie and point for point pick where they ripped off the original trilogy.

Can you tell me one holey new thing they did?

I understand this is more for a new generation rather then the original fans.

My son loved it.

But for me, other than a few brief moments it was boring and unoriginal.

Episodes 1, 2, and 3 at least gave you new story rather than rehashing 3, 4, and 5 (except for finding the most powerful, new, untrained, Jedi on a poor desert planet - that seems to happen in all the trilogies).

-Jason

wow. I think you and I watched 2 different movies. I can see what you are getting at but I don't agree at all.

I loved the new cast. fun, charismatic, a joy to watch.

you see the story as a rehash.. and sure..theres that element. but it was FUN. there was a sense of joy and adventure and magic that was in the original 3. I understand you didn't feel that way but man... I don't know how.

and suggesting the prequels had any redeeming qualities is a stretch at best. boring pacing, story, characters, everything...
best break down of what sucked about the prequels can be found here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI

either way..to each his own... I know it has flaws, but so does every movie. I had a lot of fun and cant wait to see it again.

rob

Frankmillerfan
12-23-2015, 12:43 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-5sAqxd76DN0/VnnR5y2Ei8I/AAAAAAAAKEU/b3R7SkFBsIs/s640/giphy.gif

30 YEARS after Jedi (literally and in the saga) in the whole GALAXY created for this is the BEST they could come up with??? Really?? Seriously??

Star Wars:The Force Awakens - Observations and criticisms from a fanboy - SPOILERS ABOUND!! (http://mczfilmtvreviews.blogspot.com/2015/12/star-warsthe-force-awakens-observations.html)

Duane Korslund
12-23-2015, 09:16 AM
Its funny...Lucas first spoke on the concept of Mirroring the original trilogy in his prequels...and I didnt see it...it was more or less a mess (minus revenge of the sith), Here it was done perfectly in episode 7 and nothing but hate.
I don't see it as ripping off episode 4 at all...I see it as mirror it as an homage and creating a sense of symmetry.
Yeah, it was obvious...I mean beyond obvious, but it was original and interesting enough to have an identity of its own.
It was miles away from the prequels, which were plagued with poor casting choices, poor directing...well...more wrong than right in The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones (and even Revenge of the Sith had some serious issues, but was closer to what was expected).
In Episode 7, there was a helluva lot more Right than wrong.
I'm not sure what people are looking for...the world at large bemoaned (rightly so) the prequels for its problems, so episode 7 pretty much takes a 180 and still people are not happy.
Well, its the internet, so you'll get that. But damn....whats it take??? Maybe Luke, Leia and Han, can get in a magic time machine...go back 35 years and perpetually do scenes from Episode 4 and 5 where nothing ever changes and everything is forever the exact same as it was....

Bishop
12-23-2015, 09:56 AM
I'm not sure what people are looking for...the world at large bemoaned (rightly so) the prequels for its problems, so episode 7 pretty much takes a 180 and still people are not happy.

I agree. Definitely more right than wrong. They, at least, got the tone and atmosphere right. The characters were just what they needed to be, and the story was told well.

While some folks are not happy, I believe the movie has been received very well overall. Those that are unhappy seem to be (at least amongst people I know) those that have a hard time enjoying anything at all. However, I do think a lot of the discontent may be due to unrealistically high expectations. The hype for this movie was unbelievable, and there is no way it could ever live up to it. I went in with very low expectations. I've been a cynical Star Wars Skeptic for years now. I think that may be why I liked it as much as I did. For me, the movie captured the same magic that made the original trilogy so great, and converted me back into being a fan.

Duane Korslund
12-23-2015, 10:10 AM
I went in with very low expectations. I've been a cynical Star Wars Skeptic for years now. I think that may be why I liked it as much as I did. For me, the movie captured the same magic that made the original trilogy so great, and converted me back into being a fan.

I was the same way...I was prepared to hate it going in. After the whole EU thing I was a little bitter that so much was going to waste, but fortunately I was going in with an open mind to the possibility that if the story was done right things wouldn't be so bad. I'm glad I had that mindset, because from what I saw there are a world of possibilities.
The story, the tone, the noted lack of overbearing CGI, wooden actors, and dialogue that seemed written by a 6th grader...I remember walking out of the theatre numb with a giddy sense that the magic of star wars was back.
Now if we could just get the media to stop eye raping us every time we turn around, that'd be nice....its not the movie thats killing star wars....its the marketing!!

Frankmillerfan
12-23-2015, 01:07 PM
Its funny...Lucas first spoke on the concept of Mirroring the original trilogy in his prequels...and I didnt see it...it was more or less a mess (minus revenge of the sith), Here it was done perfectly in episode 7 and nothing but hate.
I don't see it as ripping off episode 4 at all...I see it as mirror it as an homage and creating a sense of symmetry.
Yeah, it was obvious...I mean beyond obvious, but it was original and interesting enough to have an identity of its own.
It was miles away from the prequels, which were plagued with poor casting choices, poor directing...well...more wrong than right in The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones (and even Revenge of the Sith had some serious issues, but was closer to what was expected).
Well, its the internet, so you'll get that. But damn....whats it take??? Maybe Luke, Leia and Han, can get in a magic time machine...go back 35 years and perpetually do scenes from Episode 4 and 5 where nothing ever changes and everything is forever the exact same as it was....

thats the biggest issue fanboys will have once the hype dies down. Is one thing to mirror basic elements its another to just replay exact scenes and plot elements verbatim.

ANOTHER death star??

ANOTHER person from a desert setting? Its fine that Rey comes from humble beginnings but there isn't any other place she could have come from in the GALAXY?

R2 took himself out of the game because he's SAD..really??

If theyre just going to replay episodes 4,5 and 6 then what are we getting invested in and for what?? to see the same things happen dang near the same way over and over again?

Lucas tried to mirror his prequels but he made bad choices in writing and execution. People complain about casting but the actors can only do their best with whats given to them. the biggest detractors to me in the prequels was
Anakin was too young
midi-chlorians
convoluted plot about taxation of space routes.

Also the whole symmetrical/mirror arc doesn't work for the prequels like it does for the later trilogies. in a nutshell it goes like this:

OT
Ep 4 - humble beginnings, begins journey

Ep5 - trains to be a jedi, sad ending

Ep 6 - becomes Jedi, happy ending

3rd Trilogy

Ep 7 - humble beginnings, begins journey

Ep 8 - trains to be a jedi, sad ending

Ep 9 - becomes Jedi, happy ending

But the PT kicks everything off so its arc is

Ep 1 - humble beginnings, begins journey

Ep 2 - trains to be a jedi, sad ending

Ep 3 - becomes sith, sad ending

I just hope ep 8 isn't going to be almost shot for shot like 7 was..

Jason Powell
12-23-2015, 04:20 PM
Okay, to say it was a homage to the original trilogy is an extreme understatement.

Again, tell me what one original element it had?

And I really do not care that they rehashed it, but it was so condensed it didn't make since.

And here is what made episodes 1, 2, and 3 better. They where back story leading to 4, 5, and 6. And while The Phantom Menace was dumb, it did give us DARTH MAUL whom would kick emo Kylo's ass.

And to me, Revenge of the Sith was wwwwaaaaaaaayyyyyy better than The Force Awakens. Seeing the birth of DARTH VADER was a true fan boy moment.

This was a weak story, with weak copies of the original characters.

Also the franchise has lost it's spark cause we all know what to expect. Not so with the original franchise and why it was so amazing.

I really did not expect them to get that spark back. I mean, how could they? So I went in hopping for new story and new characters and that is not what I got.

So I am disappointed but I understand why others like it.

Like I said, my son and his friend loved it.

-Jason

Rob Norton
12-23-2015, 04:51 PM
And here is what made episodes 1, 2, and 3 better. They where back story leading to 4, 5, and 6. And while The Phantom Menace was dumb, it did give us DARTH MAUL whom would kick emo Kylo's ass.

And to me, Revenge of the Sith was wwwwaaaaaaaayyyyyy better than The Force Awakens. Seeing the birth of DARTH VADER was a true fan boy moment.

Darth Maul was nothing but something that looked pretty. he was awesome looking and he fought well. but he was just a "thing". he wasn't a character at all. so he fought a couple of boring stupid jedi we didn't really care about for and hour. yeah..it was kinda exciting, but that's it. there was no depth or any reason to care about him whatsoever.

Kylo on the other hand, at least has a character. Han and Leias son..so we are immediately interested in him and how he got to where he is. he WAS being trained by luke, but went evil and killed everyone. so now we care that hes an evil asshole. he said that he felt the temptation of the light, which I thought was a GREAT concept. the evil people can be tempted by GOOD. neat!. and he killed Han Solo, someone we care about... his own father. so hows that going to effect the future? how will his mother deal with him? how will Luke? im WAY more interested in whats going to happen with Kylo than I ever was with Darth Maul, whos only interesting aspect was a cool weapon and the ability to fight. that's all he had. and its nothing.

and Revenge of the Sith was garbage to. maybe not as much as phantom or Clones, but still garbage.

just my thoughts

rob

Frankmillerfan
12-23-2015, 05:01 PM
Darth Maul was nothing but something that looked pretty. he was awesome looking and he fought well. but he was just a "thing". he wasn't a character at all. so he fought a couple of boring stupid jedi we didn't really care about for and hour. yeah..it was kinda exciting, but that's it. there was no depth or any reason to care about him whatsoever.

Kylo on the other hand, at least has a character. Han and Leias son..so we are immediately interested in him and how he got to where he is. he WAS being trained by luke, but went evil and killed everyone. so now we care that hes an evil asshole. he said that he felt the temptation of the light, which I thought was a GREAT concept. the evil people can be tempted by GOOD. neat!. and he killed Han Solo, someone we care about... his own father. so hows that going to effect the future? how will his mother deal with him? how will Luke? im WAY more interested in whats going to happen with Kylo than I ever was with Darth Maul, whos only interesting aspect was a cool weapon and the ability to fight. that's all he had. and its nothing.

and Revenge of the Sith was garbage to. maybe not as much as phantom or Clones, but still garbage.

just my thoughts

rob

I agree that maul was underused but that was by necessity..the focus of the PT was to see the rise and fall of anakin so getting too deep into maul would have taken away from that. The star wars 9 episode saga is about the skywalker family so you can't introduce all these character who are not a part of that family in any significant way. Thats a reason why han was killed off and I wouldn't be surprised of leia is killed on ep 8 and luke in 9 to make way for the new generation of skywalkers.

Rob Norton
12-23-2015, 05:09 PM
I agree that maul was underused but that was by necessity..the focus of the PT was to see the rise and fall of anakin so getting too deep into maul would have taken away from that. The star wars 9 episode saga is about the skywalker family so you can't introduce all these character who are not a part of that family in any significant way. Thats a reason why han was killed off and I wouldn't be surprised of leia is killed on ep 8 and luke in 9 to make way for the new generation of skywalkers.

well..maybe. BUT.. in the Phantom Menace Anakin was absolutely NOT the focus of the story. he didn't show up until like 45 minutes into the movie, and everything that was happening around him was out of his control or understanding.

so having a character built up in Darth Maul, maybe as a reoccurring character that is defeated in the end(maybe ep 3) would have been more interesting than the nothing at all he got.

Obi-wan didn't do anything but sit on the ship and complain where He should have been the focus is the story.. and Qui Gon should have just been the wise old Jedi that sat on the ship and been wise and NOT the attempted focus of the story.

prequels failed in every way possible

Jason Powell
12-23-2015, 05:31 PM

just my thoughts

rob

Rob, What made Darth Maul so cool was he was a total bad ass, you didn't need character build up. It was this guy is going to kick your ass.

Kylo, looked bad ass at first, stopping blaster was awesome, but bad ass turned to moping emo geek, with daddy issues. I am not a sensitive person so I can not empathize but I realize this was a play on the father/son VADER/LUKE thing. Again unoriginal and weak.

See what made VADER work was he was a total unstoppable bad ass til the very end. This appears to be working in the opposite direction. I honestly think KYLO will become the new VADER down the line. I mean he was injured pretty bad, he lost his hand, and he was scarred across his face in the end of this one. Also Supreme Leader Snoke said he was going to finish his training so I believe he will change him and make him into the new VADER (Costume and all - I think Snoke will give him the costume to make him feel more bad ass since he is such a fan boy) so he can fight off Luke and Rei.

Which makes since and would be pretty cool.

But I will not be going to see if I am right or not, at least not at the movies.

This one gave me the same gut-wrenching feeling I got in episodes 1, 2, and 3.

But that is me.

-Jason

Frankmillerfan
12-23-2015, 06:51 PM
well..maybe. BUT.. in the Phantom Menace Anakin was absolutely NOT the focus of the story. he didn't show up until like 45 minutes into the movie, and everything that was happening around him was out of his control or understanding.

so having a character built up in Darth Maul, maybe as a reoccurring character that is defeated in the end(maybe ep 3) would have been more interesting than the nothing at all he got.

Obi-wan didn't do anything but sit on the ship and complain where He should have been the focus is the story.. and Qui Gon should have just been the wise old Jedi that sat on the ship and been wise and NOT the attempted focus of the story.

Thats true and that IMO was a HUGE mistake and reason why the PT sucked like a 2 dollar crack whore.. it annoyed me so much I did a fanfic rewrite to address this very issue.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-eEk2r33dzVg/Vnskt4LZh2I/AAAAAAAAKGE/Y4PWi-D_cQ8/s1600/STWRPMredlogo900.jpg

THE PHANTOM MENACE (http://madconceptz.blogspot.com/2014/07/if-star-wars-prequels-were-done.html)

Rob Norton
12-23-2015, 09:39 PM
Rob, What made Darth Maul so cool was he was a total bad ass, you didn't need character build up. It was this guy is going to kick your ass.

Kylo, looked bad ass at first, stopping blaster was awesome, but bad ass turned to moping emo geek, with daddy issues. I am not a sensitive person so I can not empathize but I realize this was a play on the father/son VADER/LUKE thing. Again unoriginal and weak.

See what made VADER work was he was a total unstoppable bad ass til the very end. This appears to be working in the opposite direction. I honestly think KYLO will become the new VADER down the line. I mean he was injured pretty bad, he lost his hand, and he was scarred across his face in the end of this one. Also Supreme Leader Snoke said he was going to finish his training so I believe he will change him and make him into the new VADER (Costume and all - I think Snoke will give him the costume to make him feel more bad ass since he is such a fan boy) so he can fight off Luke and Rei.

Which makes since and would be pretty cool.

But I will not be going to see if I am right or not, at least not at the movies.

This one gave me the same gut-wrenching feeling I got in episodes 1, 2, and 3.

But that is me.

-Jason

theres just things we aren't going to agree on (and that's ok). Maul being a "badass" isn't a character and isn't very interesting when that's ALL there is to him. So I don't really think of him as much of anything because there wasn't much to him to begin with. yeah..i enjoyed that he was scary and an ass kicker but..its not enough to list him as anything great.

and I don't see "emo/geek" anywhere with Kylo. didn't enter my mind once. We just see different things.

it all worked for me. I had a GREAT time. cant wait to go see it again.

rob

Moonrider
12-24-2015, 01:19 AM

I agree. The prequels should have been either entirely from Anakin's point of view, or Obi Wan's. Also it makes no sense to why it had to be Anakin who goes podracing when Obi Wan is certainly the safest bet. He literally had nothing to do in Tattooine. Darth Maul's awesomeness eclipsed all other bad guys in the prequels. They should have made him the main Sith general for the whole trilogy. No offense to the late, great Christopher Lee, but Count Dooku sucked. Same goes with General Grievous the walking toaster.

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
12-24-2015, 08:21 AM
Same goes with General Grievous the walking toaster.

:laugh::laugh: A walking toaster.... :laugh:

ALL the movies are faulty (except for Empire), character motivations and all that... But this is Star Wars. I think it is supposed to be fun, not brain food. Going to see this movie, I was hoping for "over the top" and would have been very disappointed if it wasn't there.

Kylo is a weak villain/hero, but in the books he was just the same - no backbone whatsoever. I can only assume that dispite all people have said about cannon going out the window, Rey and Kylo are Jaina and Jacen (even if they do call him Ben here). Han's fate was different in this movie (if that really is his fate, I'm not convinced), and I wonder if they will change what happened to Jacen/Kylo.

Anyways, I had a ton of fun and can't wait to see it again. I liked the characters of Rey and Finn a whole lot.

Frankmillerfan
12-24-2015, 01:41 PM
EP 7 The best and worst parts

Best Scene in the movie:

Worst Scene in the movie:

Best Character:

Worst Character:

Most Eye-rolling thing in the movie:

Most Exciting Scene:

Least Exciting Scene:

Best Scene in the movie: Kylo Ren Force Freezing a blaster shot in midair

Worst Scene in the movie: The meeting and planning for taking down Death Star 3.0

Best Character: Rey and Finn

Worst Character: Poe

Most Eye-rolling thing in the movie: R2D2 in low power mode

Most Exciting Scene: Duels between Ren and Rey and Finn

Least Exciting Scene: The aerial battle to destory Death Star 3.0

Rob Norton
12-24-2015, 02:53 PM
Best Scene in the movie: REY touching the lightsaber (Jedi Excalibur) and having awesome Jedi/Force visions. very cool

Worst Scene in the movie: only seen it 1 time so far, cant remember everything... maybe for me.. the thing I didn't like was Rey handling a lightsaber practically like a pro. didn't ruin anything but..she seemed way to adept with it.

Best Character:Han

Worst Character: that stupid young looking punk First Order general guy. whatshisname. doucebag

Most Eye-rolling thing in the movie: Finn handling a lightsaber almost like a pro.. not as much as Rey, but at least you could argue the force was controlling her actions to a point.

Most Exciting Scene: Rey and Finn finding and escaping in the Falcon.

Least Exciting Scene: the part with the pirates on hans new ship and the weird giant monster things. I guess I cant say it wasn't exciting, I liked it..but I wanted to get on with more interesting things, and this all seemed like a waste of time in the grand scheme of things.

Moonrider
12-24-2015, 10:41 PM
Least Exciting Scene: the part with the pirates on hans new ship and the weird giant monster things. I guess I cant say it wasn't exciting, I liked it..but I wanted to get on with more interesting things, and this all seemed like a waste of time in the grand scheme of things.

I have a feeling that most of the scene in that barge was cut. Yayan Ruhiyan and Iko Uwais was credited for 'additional stunt choreography', but there doesn't seem to be much of anything going on besides a CGI monster running amuck and people getting swallowed.

Best Scene in the movie: "That one is garbage!" (Finn & Rey board the Millenium Falcon). The part when Han confront Kylo was good too, though predictable.

Worst Scene in the movie: Kylo Ren stares creepily on to Vader's old mask. I imagined he even takes the helmet to the bathroom and touch himself often.

Best Character: A tie between Han & Finn. Han has always been awesome, but Finn is a good new addition to the saga.

Worst Character: Supreme Leader Snoke. He's a Goddamn hologram. Why the f*** does he have to be freakishly gigantic? Overblown ego?

Most Eye-rolling thing in the movie: Poe's survival from the TIE Fighter crash. Yeah like we didn't see that coming. Also, Starkiller Base. Well I guess we can confirm that this one's destruction was an inside job.

Most Exciting Scene: Kylo's first meeting with Rey in the woods.

Least Exciting Scene: Rey finding Luke in Ireland. Because I knew it would be brief, silent, and the last shot of the film.

Frankmillerfan
12-24-2015, 11:24 PM
Least Exciting Scene: Rey finding Luke in Ireland.

i thought he was in hawaii
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

dannycruz
12-25-2015, 09:47 AM

i totally dig darth maul but, really, he's a one note character. there's nothing going on with him other than he's cool and badass.
vader was pretty one dimensional in a new hope but, they fleshed him out a bit more in the other movies. still, though, i find kylo ren a hell of a lot more intriguing than vader ever was. i like the contrast between his cool and collected pseudo vader demeanor and someone who's a mess internally. plus i think adam driver is an awesome actor, has great presence and look.
his hand wasnt cut off btw..

Best Scene in the movie: the lightsaber duels at the end..

Worst Scene in the movie:not really worst as in it drags the film down but it i really wish phasma wasnt taken down so easily and deactivated the shields without any kind of resistance..

Best Character: probably han but, i love all of the new cast to be honest.

Worst Character: maybe maz....again not worst as in bringing the film down but she's just basically oracle from the matrix films...

Most Eye-rolling thing in the movie: probably poe surviving the crash. that seemed lazy to me. also when the graphic of the death star appeared and then the graphic of starkiller appeared next to it. that definitely made me roll my eyes. it was as if the best they can improve on the death star concept was to make it bigger and be able to destroy more stuff. the look of the weaponized planet itself was cool as fuck though..

Most Exciting Scene: finn & poe escaping the star destroyer and finn&rey on the millennium falcon

Least Exciting Scene: probably on the freight with the tentacle monster. like was said in another post, it was okay but, i wanted to move onto more interesting things.

Jason Powell
12-25-2015, 11:49 PM
i totally dig darth maul but, really, he's a one note character. there's nothing going on with him other than he's cool and badass. Okay, he is a character. He was there physically, he had a name, and a major role in the film. Also being a badass is a characteristic, so... As undeveloped as he was; he was character.

vader was pretty one dimensional in a new hope but, they fleshed him out a bit more in the other movies. still, though, i find kylo ren a hell of a lot more intriguing than vader ever was. i like the contrast between his cool and collected pseudo vader demeanor and someone who's a mess internally. plus i think adam driver is an awesome actor, has great presence and look.

Okay, that is sacrilegious for any STAR WARS fan. I can not take you serious at this point anymore. Also I can't take a comedic actor serious as a action star. Unless it is a action comedy like Jurassic World or GAUDIANS OF THE GALAXY. But then again, this did look like a bad joke so maybe....

his hand wasnt cut off btw..

I may be wrong, but it looked like his hand flew across in the snow when he fell back. Anyway, small detail that does not detract from my theory.

-Jason

Bishop
12-26-2015, 12:32 AM
Okay, that is sacrilegious for any STAR WARS fan. I can not take you serious at this point anymore. Also I can't take a comedic actor serious as a action star.

Not even Bruce Willis?

Seriously, though, who was the comedic actor in Star War: TFA? I know very little about the new actors outside of this movie...

Frankmillerfan
12-26-2015, 02:15 AM
Okay, that is sacrilegious for any STAR WARS fan. I can not take you serious at this point anymore. Also I can't take a comedic actor serious as a action star. Unless it is a action comedy like Jurassic World or GAUDIANS OF THE GALAXY. But then again, this did look like a bad joke so maybe....

Vader WAS one dimensional in A New Hope...I saw that flick when I was 12 in 1978 and thought he was a android when he first came on the screen. If there were no further stories other than Star Wars Vader WOULD have been like maul

Moonrider
12-26-2015, 10:07 AM
Not even Bruce Willis?

I actually liked Hudson Hawk. :laugh:

I think Jason Powell was refering to Adam Driver. He's actually more of an 'indie' drama actor though.

Vader WAS one dimensional in A New Hope...I saw that flick when I was 12 in 1978 and thought he was a android when he first came on the screen. If there were no further stories other than Star Wars Vader WOULD have been like maul

It's not so much that Darth Maul was a one note character, it's just that he was designed as a throwaway character that was never supposed to develop any kind of personality and only need to look cool, which is why they hired Ray Park in the first place. It's a bit different with Vader because everything about him, from his spoiler-y name to his signature James Earl Jones voice (which was added over David Prowse's lines) suggested that there's more to him from the beginning.

Rob Norton
12-26-2015, 12:23 PM

now THAT is absolute truth. his character wasn't really established until the next movie.

and some additional thoughts....

someone mentioned they didn't like super evil bad guy SNOKE looking like hes huge and then only being a hologram. I LOVED the idea that hes a giant of some kind. in fact, I was kinda disappointed when he was revealed as a hologram and would probably only be regular size. boring. I want a giant. cause why not?

and if I could EDIT my thoughts on the "most eye rolling scene", I would probably say all the times when the FALCON was getting smashed into the ground, or bashed thru trees, or dragging thru something in ways that would have busted that damn thing to pieces and yet...it stayed functioning the whole time. I don't think its hull structure is THAT strong and every time that shit happened, I was thinking "FUCK, be careful yer gonna break the ship. assholes..."

dannycruz
12-26-2015, 12:31 PM
Okay, he is a character. He was there physically, he had a name, and a major role in the film. Also being a badass is a characteristic, so... As undeveloped as he was; he was character.

I may be wrong, but it looked like his hand flew across in the snow when he fell back. Anyway, small detail that does not detract from my theory.

-Jason

the fact that they hired a stuntman and not an actor speaks volumes that the darth maul character was meant to be spectacle and nothing more. he didn't need to emote anything because you got what the character was about immediately from looking at him. so yeah, he is absolutely one note....which i'm fine with. he has a purpose and he fills that. i don't need or expect anything more from the character.

you're complaining that the father/son rethread is unoriginal and weak while at the same time saying that kylo ren not being enough like vader makes him a weak character. if they were to make him exactly like vader, wouldn't that be unoriginal and weak too? seems like you have your mind set to not like it, no matter what.
and while vader is by far more iconic and cooler than kylo ren,i like that there's a main villain with obvious flaws and ticks and isn't just an ultra-stoic badass type. that makes him more interesting to me than vader was in a new hope.

Moonrider
12-27-2015, 03:00 AM
someone mentioned they didn't like super evil bad guy SNOKE looking like hes huge and then only being a hologram. I LOVED the idea that hes a giant of some kind. in fact, I was kinda disappointed when he was revealed as a hologram and would probably only be regular size. boring. I want a giant. cause why not?

Not really the point. He could be a real giant, but I don't see the real need for his hologram to be equally gigantic. Darth Sidious was a normal sized humanoid, but he didn't always need to communicate with his lackeys using a full sized hologram, did he?

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
12-27-2015, 09:19 AM
I rather liked Snoke. Wish we knew just a teensy bit more about him/her/it, but then again... a little mystery is good too.

Jason Powell
12-27-2015, 12:20 PM
the fact that they hired a stuntman and not an actor speaks volumes that the darth maul character was meant to be spectacle and nothing more. he didn't need to emote anything because you got what the character was about immediately from looking at him. so yeah, he is absolutely one note....which i'm fine with. he has a purpose and he fills that. i don't need or expect anything more from the character.

Sooo... You are repeating what I said and I agree. Remember allot of lines or flashed out back story does not make a great character. Remember this is the same guy who played the original TOAD in X-MEN and SNAKE EYES in GI JOE.

Also I do not put down stuntmen and women. Jason Voorhees has almost always been played by a stuntman and he is, by far, my favorite character ever.

you're complaining that the father/son rethread is unoriginal and weak while at the same time saying that kylo ren not being enough like vader makes him a weak character. if they were to make him exactly like vader, wouldn't that be unoriginal and weak too? seems like you have your mind set to not like it, no matter what.
and while vader is by far more iconic and cooler than kylo ren,i like that there's a main villain with obvious flaws and ticks and isn't just an ultra-stoic badass type. that makes him more interesting to me than vader was in a new hope.

Actually you can make a character like another character without retelling the same story. Rehashing the same story is lazy. You can justify more than one person being evil, and thinking and feeling the same (I mean look at the Republican party :rolleyes:) however you cannot justify repeating the same story almost exactly.

-Jason

Frankmillerfan
12-27-2015, 02:35 PM
Sooo... You are repeating what I said and I agree. Remember allot of lines or flashed out back story does not make a great character. Remember this is the same guy who played the original TOAD in X-MEN and SNAKE EYES in GI JOE.

Also I do not put down stuntmen and women. Jason Voorhees has almost always been played by a stuntman and he is, by far, my favorite character ever.

Actually you can make a character like another character without retelling the same story. Rehashing the same story is lazy. You can justify more than one person being evil, and thinking and feeling the same (I mean look at the Republican party :rolleyes:) however you cannot justify repeating the same story almost exactly.

-Jason

totally agree

did rey HAVE TO come from a desert setting?

did the first order HAVE to create a death star?

did there HAVE to be a cantina setting?

was there another way to get there other than walking in same footprints?

dannycruz
01-01-2016, 12:11 PM

actually, no, not quite as much as i'm just reiterating what i originally said about maul being a one note character since your response of 'he's character and was there physically' made no sense since no one was debating that point :rolleyes:

but, you know what, i'm finding myself getting dragged into a pointless internet debate with someone who's all time favorite character is jason from friday the 13th (ironic since you seem to not like rehashed stories)
so i'll just say that i enjoyed TFA and you didn't and leave it at that..

Bishop
01-01-2016, 12:19 PM
actually, no, not quite as much as i'm just reiterating what i originally said about maul being a one note character since your response of 'he's character and was there physically' made no sense since no one was debating that point :rolleyes:

but, you know what, i'm finding myself getting dragged into a pointless internet debate with someone who's all time favorite character is jason from friday the 13th (ironic since you seem to not like rehashed stories)

http://i.imgur.com/lxLhfNl.gif

Jason Powell
01-03-2016, 03:34 AM

No your statement was not that he is a "One note character" your statement was he was "not a character" originally.

My point was that he was a character. I agree under developed but he was character.

And again, lets review the GI JOE movie. SNAKE EYES is a fan favorite and is played by the same actor/stuntman and doesn't speak one word and does not show any emotion in both movies. One note character, yes. Very important character, definitely.

Yes I agree F13 rehashes elements (immortal killer at a camp). That is what fans like and expect. However it does not retail the same story, scene for scene, like TFA has. It is one thing to say STAR WARS is about a war in space. It is another to say...

STAR WARS is about a android looking for an old Jedi Master, whom runs into a young orphan person (who turns out to be unknowingly the most powerful Jedi in the universe) on a desert planet, whom fight a dark lord, and there is this father/son scene, and they have to destroy a lazer blasting planet before it destroys all the good guys.

Am I talking about the original trilogy or TFA? Cause that is the plot for both.

But then again you are right, these are movies. You like it, I don't, so why try to convince each other? It is all really silly.

-Jason

Buckyrig
01-04-2016, 01:13 PM
I don't know. I finally saw this . . . and it was fine. But it was basically fanfiction (probably unavoidable once you remove the creator from the property).

Whatever the flaws of the prequels, Lucas was trying out new things. Disney played it safe and got a safe movie out of it.

Force Awakens had better characterizations and a more reigned-in plot (but even that is a bit shaky to be honest), but there weren't any locations or images that just wowed me. (Lightsabre fight in the woods was probably the best visual for me there.) And the prequels were still doing that, even as they tripped over talky political plots.

Duane Korslund
01-04-2016, 01:26 PM
Maybe if Lucas had focused more on story, characters, and acting it wouldnt have come to this...the prequel visuals were great, but the story, tone, and actors were amazing in TFA...who knows.
The past is the past, this is what we have...take it or leave it...I like it...even if the EU is gone, and they're reshaping things. At least they took elements...they didnt let the last 25 years go completely to waste.
I think they were right to play it safe. We've had so many years of wooden acting and green screens that getting back to basics seems like a necessary step forward, not a step back.

Buckyrig
01-04-2016, 08:03 PM
Creed was better. :whistlin:

Frankmillerfan
01-08-2016, 05:01 AM
Maybe if Lucas had focused more on story, characters, and acting it wouldnt have come to this...the prequel visuals were great, but the story, tone, and actors were amazing in TFA...who knows.
The past is the past, this is what we have...take it or leave it...I like it...even if the EU is gone, and they're reshaping things. At least they took elements...they didnt let the last 25 years go completely to waste.
I think they were right to play it safe. We've had so many years of wooden acting and green screens that getting back to basics seems like a necessary step forward, not a step back.

Frankmillerfan
01-08-2016, 05:04 AM
Creed was better. :whistlin:

was that sarcasm?

rocky opens with us seeing him fighting in bum fights for little money
creed opens with us seeing him fighting bum fights in mexico for little money

rocky is south philly trash
adonis goes to south philly to live with trash

rocky asks mickey for guidance and initially gets turned down
adonis asks rocky for guidance and initally gets turned down

mickey trains rocky using chicken chasing
rockey trains adonis using chicken chasing

rocky has a girlfriend who seems to have a mental disability (turns out she's just painfully shy)
adonis has a girlfriend who has some physical disability (hearing loss).

mickey trains rocky in a slugger style
rocky trains adonis in a slugger style

rocky runs through south philly in training
adonis runs through south philly in training

the champ picks rocky out of a hat as a gimmick
the champ uses adonis for his name as a gimmick

creed was nothing but rocky in black skin with some rap in the soundtrack.

IMO they did a disservice to that character by making it basically a Rocky 7 film.

Moonrider
01-08-2016, 05:52 AM
I got no problem with that. So it's a retread. It's a piece of fiction, it's bound to repeat things that has been done before. But what I think made Creed work even though they follow the same story from Rocky beat for beat is that the story is still logically plausible within the narrative. Which is something that I can't say the same about Star Wars villains creating basically the same doomsday weapon three times in a row which all get blown up the same way.

Buckyrig
01-08-2016, 10:33 AM
was that sarcasm?

Well, I was being a nudje, but I was serious. It's a soft reboot, but it's modernized and forward-looking. While Force Awakens isn't wallowing in nostalgia, as could have been the problem, but it is certainly more about going back than forward (the passing of the torch to new characters doesn't change the fact that as an overall endeavor, the movie is an attempt to recapture something old).

Look, I liked it. Just saying it didn't stick to my ribs.

Frankmillerfan
01-08-2016, 01:20 PM
I got no problem with that. So it's a retread. It's a piece of fiction, it's bound to repeat things that has been done before. But what I think made Creed work even though they follow the same story from Rocky beat for beat is that the story is still logically plausible within the narrative. Which is something that I can't say the same about Star Wars villains creating basically the same doomsday weapon three times in a row which all get blown up the same way.

Well, I was being a nudje, but I was serious. It's a soft reboot, but it's modernized and forward-looking. While Force Awakens isn't wallowing in nostalgia, as could have been the problem, but it is certainly more about going back than forward (the passing of the torch to new characters doesn't change the fact that as an overall endeavor, the movie is an attempt to recapture something old).

If the title of the movie was Rocky VII: Creed then I would agree that yeah in the larger narrative of the Rocky franchise the movie is plausible because its obvious this is a Rocky movie.

But it was marketed as something different. You don't see Rocky on the poster, the trailer shows mainly Adonis and the title itself. I went in thinking I was going to see the other side of the story. What life looks like from the Creed side. We saw bits and pieces of Apollo's life in LA, being rich, modeled after Ali so he's brash, bold and loud mouthed but still good at what he does so he can back it up (at least until he met Rocky) so I would think that that story and his son's would be completely different, however that looks, from anything we saw in Rocky except for a training sequence and boxing itself. Here's a guy who clearly wished he knew his father, wanted to be like his father but left his father's home to walk in the footsteps of his mentor, live his life, live in his home and do exactly when he did. Donny Johnson didn't become ADONIS CREED, SON OF APOLLO, he became Rocky Jr. the son Rocky always wanted. Thats great for Rocky's legacy but not so much for Apollo's.

And just like TFA being almost step for step ANH...it makes me concerned how the next movie is going to go. With Episode 8 And Creed 2 are we going see something different or are we going to see a throwback to Empire Strikes Back and Rocky II?

dannycruz
01-08-2016, 01:22 PM
was that sarcasm?

rocky opens with us seeing him fighting in bum fights for little money
creed opens with us seeing him fighting bum fights in mexico for little money

rocky is south philly trash
adonis goes to south philly to live with trash

rocky asks mickey for guidance and initially gets turned down
adonis asks rocky for guidance and initally gets turned down

mickey trains rocky using chicken chasing
rockey trains adonis using chicken chasing

rocky has a girlfriend who seems to have a mental disability (turns out she's just painfully shy)
adonis has a girlfriend who has some physical disability (hearing loss).

mickey trains rocky in a slugger style
rocky trains adonis in a slugger style

rocky runs through south philly in training
adonis runs through south philly in training

the champ picks rocky out of a hat as a gimmick
the champ uses adonis for his name as a gimmick

creed was nothing but rocky in black skin with some rap in the soundtrack.

IMO they did a disservice to that character by making it basically a Rocky 7 film.

haven't seen creed yet but if the movie plays out like that, that would mean that this is the third time they used the rocky 1 plot since rocky balboa(rocky 6,which i loved) was basically a mirror version of rocky 1 but with him as a washed-up, hasbeen this time. even the big fight at the end literally follows the same exact beats as the first rocky/apollo fight in the first one.
haven't seen much of a stink made of that reuse as i have of ep.7/anh...

Frankmillerfan
01-08-2016, 01:37 PM
Just to spitball what I'm talking about heres a way Creed could have gone:

No opening title or music, we go right into the story of young man who never knew his father but has the same drive and even tho he's a gifted fighter, able to adapt and use many styles, he's modeled his fighting style after his father. The attitude, the trash talk and big personality BUT here he doesn't wear it easy, its obvious he's walking in his fathers shoes but its successful, he's winning fights and bringing the name Creed back but deep down hes STILL troubled because its NOT HIM..its his father. He's successful until he gets to that one opponent he can't beat..Apollo's style and tactics doesn't work on him and Adonis not only suffers his first lost but a Ronda Rousey type lost. With the rematch scheduled he's gotta find HIMSELF if he wants to have any chance of beating this guy. Nothing in Apollo's bag of tricks can help him this time.

At the midpoint of the story he has a heart to heart with Apollos wife and she tells him about his father (this gives more meat to Phyllicia Rashad who was underused IMO) then he talks to his corner man and mentor who was Apollo's, Duke Evers (the actor is still alive in his 70s)
then to his girlfriend who tells him to be himself this is intercut with the training session with duke who telling him pointers on his fathers style.

During the rematch in the 3rd act it plays out very similar to the movie where both fighters are beating each other bloody until Adonis gets knocked down late in the fight. He gets to his feet before the 10 count and goes to his corner where Duke is freaking out saying he's going to throw in the towel because this is how his father died. Adonis pleads and demands for him not to and as theyre working on him he closes his good eye and we see flashbacks of Apollo fight footage (the only way he knows his father), his wife and his girlfriend telling to find himself and the bell rings and the final round starts and Adonis switches from his father's style and tactics to something else and throughout the round scores major blows ending in a knock out of his nemesis.

Then we go to the epilogue where Adonis is in Philly and he goes into the italian restaurant Adrian's and Rocky comes out (the only time we see him) and they talk. Rocky compliments him on his win and says he was wondering when he was going to stop being Apollo and start being himself. And Adonis asks Rocky who won the secret 3rd fight between them and Rocky looks at the picture of them on the wall, looks down then looks at Apollo's son and says "Well if you must know...." and just as he's about to say it we cut to black, and in big letters we see the word CREED (the first time we see the title of the movie)...credits roll..

His own music and style...not rocky's, living his own life not rocky's...if he has a surrogate father figure its Duke, not Rocky. I'm not saying thats better just something different than what Creed was.

Moonrider
01-08-2016, 10:00 PM
You think about this too much. It makes sense that the movie is called CREED when Rocky takes a back seat as the main supporting actor. It doesn't even have a rap remix of 'Eye of The Tiger' playing in the background. It could work as a Rocky VII but naming it that would be false advertising because we don't even get to see Rocky in the ring, or throw a single punch.
Look, this 'debate' could go on for pages but what I'm saying is that treading old grounds isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's fiction. Star Wars and Lord of The Rings is basically the same movie. What matters is whether the story flows well within the narrative or felt forced just to invoke a cheap sense of nostalgia. And I'm feeling Creed to be more of the former while Eps. VII leans a bit more to the latter.

Frankmillerfan
01-09-2016, 12:59 AM
You think about this too much. It makes sense that the movie is called CREED when Rocky takes a back seat as the main supporting actor. It doesn't even have a rap remix of 'Eye of The Tiger' playing in the background. It could work as a Rocky VII but naming it that would be false advertising because we don't even get to see Rocky in the ring, or throw a single punch.
Look, this 'debate' could go on for pages but what I'm saying is that treading old grounds isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's fiction. Star Wars and Lord of The Rings is basically the same movie. What matters is whether the story flows well within the narrative or felt forced just to invoke a cheap sense of nostalgia. And I'm feeling Creed to be more of the former while Eps. VII leans a bit more to the latter.

I feel that both did the latter.

Moonrider
01-11-2016, 01:51 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Qhax7FywZMI/UfQCUwUU-CI/AAAAAAAAAwI/K7BG_kkdQ8g/s1600/big+lebowski.jpg

Frankmillerfan
01-12-2016, 02:14 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Qhax7FywZMI/UfQCUwUU-CI/AAAAAAAAAwI/K7BG_kkdQ8g/s1600/big+lebowski.jpg

backatcha:nyah:

Moonrider
01-12-2016, 09:40 PM
http://i.imgur.com/rxQI7Ie.jpg?1

Frankmillerfan
01-13-2016, 01:49 AM
big pic about how much you don't care about something

whats funny is people who post about how much they DON'T care about a thing..if nothing else at least I'm honest about having an opinion about a meaningless movie. Its what messageboards are for, opinionated people to spout off about bullshit.

You on the other hand are doing the social media equivalent of snidely stating your point then sticking your fingers in your ears and going LALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU I DON'T CARE THE SUBJECT IS DUMB ANYWAY LALALALAL:laugh::laugh:

you could have made the same point by...not responding at all. :rolleyes:

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
01-16-2016, 09:06 AM
TFA was fun for me. Liked it, and totally look forward to future episodes/movies.

Frankmillerfan, I feel about most superhero movies the way you feel about this one. Bring it on, sweetie... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/Jesse321/Smilies/Dominatrix-1.gif :nyah: :happy:

Frankmillerfan
01-21-2016, 09:45 PM
TFA was fun for me. Liked it, and totally look forward to future episodes/movies.

Frankmillerfan, I feel about most superhero movies the way you feel about this one. Bring it on, sweetie... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/Jesse321/Smilies/Dominatrix-1.gif :nyah: :happy:

its already brough'en..:laugh:

i repeat

say what you want about lucas's story telling ability at least he would tried something different. We would have hated it but it would have been different

dannycruz
01-22-2016, 08:43 AM
Speaking of Lucas, I thought this was pretty cool..

https://vimeo.com/137711830

Buckyrig
01-22-2016, 02:29 PM
This (http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/12/29/in-defense-of-george-lucas) is a few weeks old, but it's worth reading.

This is what I believe many of the modern detractors misunderstand about Star Wars: it was blazingly original in 1977. Lucas has become synonymous with the Campbellian hero’s journey, but that aspect came late in the process of creating Star Wars; as an art movie geek Lucas didn’t have a strong interest in narrative (see THX and American Graffiti for proof) and he set himself a challenge as Star Wars developed to tell a simple, strong story. Campbell - and fairy tales - gave him the structure for that, a structure that allowed him to get experimental everywhere else.

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
02-02-2016, 07:36 AM
I'm going to make a guess. I'll bet everyone here hates (HATES) the X-Files revival too. Because I like it. :whistlin:

Duane Korslund
02-02-2016, 09:24 AM
I havent seen it yet....I read its gotten great ratings, of course thats no way to judge a show.

Frankmillerfan
02-02-2016, 08:56 PM
I'm going to make a guess. I'll bet everyone here hates (HATES) the X-Files revival too. Because I like it. :whistlin:

ESPECIALLY because you like it...:nyah: SCREW mulder and scully:laugh:

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
02-03-2016, 09:41 AM
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-hug012.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

SCREW mulder and scully:laugh:

I think they did that already... :p

Frankmillerfan
02-06-2016, 06:58 PM
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-hug012.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

I think they did that already... :p

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/12508748_1192214497456146_8133086660834949387_n.jp g?oh=963eed15464f3f3453799fefb9ca819d&oe=5723691C

omega sentry
03-05-2016, 06:48 PM

Seems like you guys have pages going back and forth about the nostalgia factor or rip off factor of the force awakens when there is so much more flaws that make this movie cringe worthy.

There is to much apologetic arguments as if fantasy justifies all The flaws this ape written rape dream of a movie has.

Angel
03-20-2016, 05:18 AM
Omega, Go for it. Tell us everything that is wrong with SWTFA. I am super interested.

omega sentry
04-01-2016, 06:58 PM
Ok I will once I get to my computer. Cause writing the mountain of things that people pass on, or just excuse will be a nightmare on my phone.

The general outline;

I'm not going to deny that the dialog is fun. It lacks substance plot, it lacks important Information, and yes there are things we don't need to know, but there are things we had to know. Saying oh in the next film doesn't fix that. There are things that contradict not only the mythos but the characters, character. That goes for both generations characters.

There is nothing wrong with the original characters having turmoil in their life, but how they wrote them contradicts their character and their accomplishments.
They are the ones passing the torch after all.

Then there is starkiller base, and no fantasy doesn't excuse it.

There is phasma, it's like they didn't even bother.

Rey was to rushed as a character with the incredible power and I know everything attitude. Again the next movie doesn't help
The case and there is very little they can do with credibility. Remember she was left at 5-7 years of age maybe.

They way they set up Han Solos death was poor. No investment other than he was Han Solo.

Finn while a good character how they handles him was more to appease the audience nostalgia which worked but is contradictory to him being a soldier that has not made mistakes. Phasma states that very clear in the movie. But this one is not too alarming.

What could cause Luke Skywalker not be him
Self. He was always the one to put things off to help his loved ones.
Yeah grieve would actually motivate to help your loved ones more. I'm sure he had a long time to get over it also. Makes no sense.

Lack of an alien society and too any humans. Yes there are aliens but mostly handled like we were back in 1977. So they were more like props, it's sad that there are better lead alien characters in the cartoons as opposed to this movie.

The music was just meh it's never been just meh...

Anything that happens within starkiller base

Lastly to many similarities to the original. No matter what explanation it still wasn't warranted. If they had kept starkiller base out it would Be ok. Of course thats not the straw that breaks my camels back. Is the fact that that inevitably sets up for empire strikes back beats.

It's a good thing the dvd is almost out because now there will be footage to
Back all this.

Angel
04-03-2016, 05:43 AM
Lack of an alien society and too any humans. Yes there are aliens but mostly handled like we were back in 1977. So they were more like props, it's sad that there are better lead alien characters in the cartoons as opposed to this movie.

I'm sorry, I don't understand most of your writing clearly but as far as a "lack of alien society" pretty much everyone humanoid or not is an "alien" in Star Wars. It is an intergalactic setting.

BTW, It took you twelve days to respond to me and that is just ridiculous. So I am going to need you to stop having a life and log on to DWP to debate movies hourly from now on.

omega sentry
04-03-2016, 02:33 PM
I'm sorry, I don't understand most of your writing clearly but as far as a "lack of alien society" pretty much everyone humanoid or not is an "alien" in Star Wars. It is an intergalactic setting.

BTW, It took you twelve days to respond to me and that is just ridiculous. So I am going to need you to stop having a life and log on to DWP to debate movies hourly from now on.

That made me laugh sorry I have a life.....

What I ment by that is that the audience follows humans rather than non human characters. TFA is over filled with human characters and they only use non-humanoid and humanoid characters as filler background extras. That feel more like props to me.

That was fine in 1977, and it is sad to see that the cartoons or the prequels have done a much better job with main suporting characters that are non human.

Angel
04-07-2016, 08:33 PM
OmegeS, Did I see you over in the comment section of the SW: Rogue One youtube trailer? lol

http://i.imgur.com/NrkU1Fk.jpg?1

Buckyrig
04-08-2016, 12:05 PM
vs3sVrm_W4o

omega sentry
04-10-2016, 11:08 PM
Omg loved that one....can't wait till he makes one for rogue one. I'm expecting him to say...katnis again?

OmegeS, Did I see you over in the comment section of the SW: Rogue One youtube trailer? lol

http://i.imgur.com/NrkU1Fk.jpg?1

I go by my pen name online, some of the older chaps ( from the 90s-2000s, maybe even the comixmatrix days.) would know what that is, or maybe not lol.

I got my issues with the new Disney starwars but not that bad. The thing with me is I feel critics are needed to improve, but the internet uses it to destroy. I have written my my opinions on some critic tubes but that's not me. He doesn't have my flair and to sarcastic. Maybe more people Feel like I do or they are repeating what I've said like good little sheep.

But I do feel that we need more alien leads.

Buckyrig
04-11-2016, 11:27 AM
Where's the anchor point for the audience in a movie with an alien lead?

In these fantastic alternate worlds or universes, we need a POV character for the audience.

Bishop
04-11-2016, 01:16 PM
I go by my pen name online, some of the older chaps ( from the 90s-2000s, maybe even the comixmatrix days.) would know what that is...

Kid Intense?

Duane Korslund
04-11-2016, 01:23 PM
Kid Intense?

Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!

omega sentry
04-15-2016, 01:20 PM
Kid Intense?
I'll let you have that one because people were so mean at his expense.