PDA

View Full Version : Seeking comics writers for sci-fi anthology (paid)

ShaneWSmith
10-22-2015, 10:49 PM
My name is Shane W Smith, and Iím a graphic novelist.

Iíve received a grant to produce a sci-fi anthology entitled All The Kingís Men, and the grant money will be used to pay page rates to writers. I will be the editor and sole artist for the anthology.

All The Kingís Men takes a look at the lives of those on the periphery, ordinary people struggling to make sense of their lives and dreams in a galaxy torn apart by civil war. The notion that sometimes itís impossible to mend what has been broken is central to the book, and will be the unifying thread between all the stories in the anthology.

I know from experience how incredibly rare it is for writers to receive offers of paid work, so I hope youíll check this out.

Please visit http://shanewsmith.com/allthekingsmen/ for submission guidelines and theme/background information.

The anthology will be published by Deeper Meanings Publishing, whose previous titles include the 2014 Aurealis Award finalist The Game.

Submissions close 31 March, 2016.

It is my current intention to provide notes and feedback on every submission received, and I am more than happy to answer any questions at any stage in the process.

Thanks for your time.
- Shane W Smith

Important details:

Invoicing will not be necessary. You will be offered a contract upon acceptance, and both parties will agree to a timeframe and rate of pay.
Page rate: $12.50 (AUD) per comic page script. This is a minimum rate of payment and may change going forward.
Prose rate: $0.04 (AUD) per word. This is a minimum rate of payment and may change going forward.
Method of payment: Paypal for anyone outside Australia, Paypal or bank deposit for Australians (your choice)
Timeframe for payment: Submissions close 31 March 2016. Contracts will be offered in the fortnight thereafter. 50% upfront payment will be made with three days of you signing the contract. The remaining 50% will be paid within a fortnight of the final delivery of the story (and will likely be paid within 24 hours).
The job is considered completed when both parties are satisfied that the story has been edited to completion. It is highly likely that every story will undergo one significant edit, and possibly a second, smaller edit afterwards. Delivery will probably be best made by Word document, but I'm flexible.
Preferred method of contact is via the website linked above. The email address for submissions is contained in the submission guidelines.
References: I have worked in collaboration with a number of artists in the past, and I paid them for their work promptly and reliably. One of these artists was kind enough to post publicly about the experience: http://comments.deviantart.com/1/525291205/3798802701