PDA

View Full Version : Renae De Liz's Wonder Woman!!

Saul Haber
10-14-2015, 07:33 PM
I just saw this amazing news and I was blown away when I read who is creating this new Wonder Woman series for DC.

http://www.newsarama.com/26339-second-wonder-woman-series-in-2016.html

Congratulations, Renae!! That cover looks spectacular! And I see Ray's name on the cover image, so congrats to Ray, too! This is a huge deal!

Rob Norton
10-14-2015, 10:06 PM
I just saw this amazing news and I was blown away when I read who is creating this new Wonder Woman series for DC.

http://www.newsarama.com/26339-second-wonder-woman-series-in-2016.html

Congratulations, Renae!! That cover looks spectacular! And I see Ray's name on the cover image, so congrats to Ray, too! This is a huge deal!

RIGHT?!?!

this is another reason I was so excited to get her to be able to take part in the XMEN project. not just that shes an amazing kick ass artist, but shes a PROFESSIONAL artist working in the industry. so happy for her and Ray.

rob

Buckyrig
10-15-2015, 11:08 AM
Wow.

Congratulations, guys.

Scribbly
10-15-2015, 11:34 AM
A Wonder Woman Renae De Liz is. :thumbs:

Bishop
10-15-2015, 11:36 AM
Saw the announcement on FB and had to just smile, because this is the perfect project to highlight Renae's talent. Ray will knock the colors out of the park as well. They make a great team!

Ray Dillon
10-16-2015, 01:55 AM
Hey, everyone! Thanks so much for the kind words.

It has been pretty amazing.

Renae was hand-picked by Jim Lee himself. He even called her the "idea machine." Awesome!! Then he just gave her full creative freedom. She pitched this idea for a nearly 300 page graphic novel of Wonder Woman spanning her childhood through her rise as Wonder Woman and he greenlit it. We've been working on it for the last couple of years. SO good to have the news out.

AthenaRose
10-16-2015, 03:19 AM
Huge congratulations to DW's golden couple!

Renae De Liz
10-16-2015, 02:14 PM
Wow, thanks you guys!! :) It especially means a lot coming from my fellow DWer's. It's been a crazy ride so far. Now I get to be suuuuuper nervous waiting for people to start reading in November. :blink:

Stewart Vernon
10-16-2015, 02:47 PM
I've not been around to know most of the people here very well... but it's still pretty awesome to be at least adjacent to something this cool!

From what I've seen on the forum, you're deserving of the high praise that is likely to be heaped on you once this comes out!

Bishop
10-16-2015, 02:50 PM
This is just the beginning of an epic ride for Renae and Ray, I think. Can't wait to see what's next!

Eliseu Gouveia
10-16-2015, 03:39 PM
Sweeet!

Congratulations, guys, you've deserved it! :)

Renae De Liz
10-16-2015, 03:46 PM
Thanks, fellas :) I'm a bundle of nerves, though. I aimed to appeal to current DC readers as well as new, but still not sure if current readers would accept something like this, as they are mostly used to the hyper-realistic, dark stories w/ more adult themes, and this is lighter in tone and style than that. We'll see, I guess. :eek:

And thanks, Bishop. I hope more follows. I've got so many, many plans. Beyond WW even, with an ultimate goal to build up the Justice League one by one. Good to dream big I guess :har:

Renae De Liz
10-16-2015, 03:48 PM
Sweeet!

Congratulations, guys, you've deserved it! :)

Thank you, Eliseu. I came across your WW story awhile back, and thought it was so awesome. I think YOU deserve to get into DC and make awesome stories. :)

Rob Norton
10-16-2015, 04:33 PM
Wow, thanks you guys!! :) It especially means a lot coming from my fellow DWer's. It's been a crazy ride so far. Now I get to be suuuuuper nervous waiting for people to start reading in November. :blink:

Hey, when you get hand picked by JIM LEE, you know you are doing something right...cause hes seen it all. This is gonna be huge. And what perfect timing with the movie coming out. Interest in WW gonna be at an all time high

Buckyrig
10-17-2015, 11:30 AM
Hey, does it matter if we wait for the physical release? Or does it help you out more to buy the digital version?

CWmax
10-17-2015, 11:51 AM
Very cool!

CW

Renae De Liz
10-17-2015, 12:59 PM
Hey, does it matter if we wait for the physical release? Or does it help you out more to buy the digital version?

That's so nice of you to ask :) I think getting the digital would help first, seeing as it comes out 2 months before the print and those are the numbers DC would see first, but of course print is very important too, so anything you feel like supporting would be wonderful.

I have Part 2 of Wonder Woman's Story already pitched and ready to go with them, just need the thumbs up. But I think they need to see the numbers first, as my book is just something they don't ever do. So finger's crossed people like it! :)

Renae De Liz
10-17-2015, 01:00 PM
Very cool!

CW

Thank you, CWmax :)

Steven Forbes
10-17-2015, 01:57 PM
Renae, I hate you.

I told myself that I wouldn't be giving DC my money anymore. They can't seem to make up their mind with what they want to do with their toys.

However, this is a big deal for DW. Whenever anyone from here gets a big gig and gets to play with the very recognizable toys, I feel that we should all celebrate and support them.

So I'll be buying the book. Digital, not physical. Because I believe in that support.

This is me supporting you. This is not me supporting DC.

Congrats! I hope more stuff comes your way! (Via Marvel, of course...) ;)

Bishop
10-17-2015, 02:59 PM
Renae, I hate you.

I told myself that I wouldn't be giving DC my money anymore. They can't seem to make up their mind with what they want to do with their toys.

However, this is a big deal for DW. Whenever anyone from here gets a big gig and gets to play with the very recognizable toys, I feel that we should all celebrate and support them.

So I'll be buying the book. Digital, not physical. Because I believe in that support.

^ I agree with and support this statement 100%. Let us know when it hits digital and I will definitely support it.

Renae De Liz
10-17-2015, 08:58 PM
Renae, I hate you.

Haha, well I certainly appreciate you overcoming your vow of not buying more DC books. Your support, and everyone else's here, means the world. :)

So tell me guys, what do you dislike about DC and what would you do differently, or like to see with your favorite characters? I find this kind of information is so valuable. :)

ponyrl
10-17-2015, 09:14 PM
Shoot, I remember when ya'lls were in dire straits, glad to see you rise and elevate.

Congrats. :)

Steven Forbes
10-17-2015, 09:46 PM
Haha, well I certainly appreciate you overcoming your vow of not buying more DC books. Your support, and everyone else's here, means the world. :)

So tell me guys, what do you dislike about DC and what would you do differently, or like to see with your favorite characters? I find this kind of information is so valuable. :)

I just want a steady direction. Find a direction, follow it, and let the stories come.

Stop rebooting the entire line every few years. The only thing it tells readers is "oops, we made a boo boo."

Think the moves through. Plan them better.

Hell, hire me as an editor. I'll help find a direction to go in.

Stewart Vernon
10-17-2015, 10:17 PM
Yeah, I'm with Steven here. I don't even mind the reboots sometimes... but when they reboot every couple of years it kind of causes me to disconnect from everything because I know if I miss something, it won't matter since it will all start over in a couple of years.

So instead of wanting to buy every issue of a book as it comes out for "can't miss" reading, I can just wait to see what stories bubble up as the standouts and get those and ignore everything else.

It can't be good for sales when you are pretty much training your customers that it's okay to tune out because you'll just be starting over again next year anyway.

Buckyrig
10-18-2015, 01:29 AM
The DC universe has only been rebooted twice: Crisis on Infinite Earths and Flashpoint. Everything in between was the post-Crisis timeline, and everything since has been the New 52 timeline.

DC does a lot of things that look like reboots, but those are the only two times they switched out universes. (Well, except sort of retroactively in the Silver Age.)

I do agree, however, that DC doesn't seem to plan things out all that well.

Then again, Marvel just made Aunt May a supporting character in Howard the Duck, so . . .

Chad Hardin is the artist on Harley Quinn. Also a fun book.

MBirkhofer
10-18-2015, 10:22 AM
I'm a big fan of "everything is only canon to itself".
So we can have things like Justice League 3000. We can have sword of sorcery, old WW and new WW, we can have old Superman, nu52 superman, I, Vampire, Harley Quinn completely ignoring mainstream canon, WW completely ignoring Sm/ww, JL, etc.

Red beastboy and evil bart a terrible idea? ALL of folding Wildstorm in a terrible idea? lets just pretend it didnt happen.

pre nu52 Atlee showing up in Starfire? good to go.

Saul Haber
10-18-2015, 05:35 PM
Hey, everyone! Thanks so much for the kind words.

It has been pretty amazing.

Renae was hand-picked by Jim Lee himself. He even called her the "idea machine." Awesome!! Then he just gave her full creative freedom. She pitched this idea for a nearly 300 page graphic novel of Wonder Woman spanning her childhood through her rise as Wonder Woman and he greenlit it. We've been working on it for the last couple of years. SO good to have the news out.

Wow, that sounds so awesome. Like a dream story and a dream project! You guys are an inspiration and I guess hard work pays off. I hope the book is received well, and I will definitely be eagerly checking it out!

Saul Haber
10-18-2015, 06:00 PM

I'm kind of in a similar mindset to Steve about DC. I used to be a huge DC Comics fan (and still am, just not of their current books), but I've been worn down by all of the changes since the new 52 started. The new 52 was annoying enough but now they seem to be sort of revamping again and I don't even know what DC Comics is anymore. They're all over the place and they've essentially killed so many of the characters I used to love. I really have no idea why they would do that, since their characters and storylines are DC's main strength, but they've erased so much and then replaced it with watered down versions of what they used to be. I used to love the rich universe and history and especially all of the minor, anachronistic, and/or goofy characters that were all over the DC universe. Now I couldn't tell you what the fate of these characters are or if they have shown up, I don't know who they are now that they've been tweaked. Characters like all of the JSA, the Doom Patrol, Blue Beetle, Plastic Man, Metamorpho, Adam Strange, the Question, and many more. Not to mention Superman, who I feel has been replaced by a pale imitation and never really felt right to me since the new 52 began. Some characters have been changed only to bring them back more to what they used to be, while others have not changed much at all (but had their rich histories erased), while others just disappeared altogether. It's just confusing and really demolishes the whole "suspension of disbelief" when you constantly are taken out of the story to wonder about which version of this character am I reading right now. Plus, if I actually do like a book that I am reading, I will be worried that after 6 issues DC will just completely change its mind and restart with something totally different. I'm not sure all of these changes can be "fixed" at this point, but going forward DC needs to get a good idea of what they want to do because it's looking real ugly over the past year or two. Ok, rant over...:D

superggraphics
10-18-2015, 07:37 PM
Congratulations are in order Renae! I love the look of the character as it reminds me of Adrianne Palicki from the failed pilot (although I liked it)... I'm so there there for this! G

Renae De Liz
10-18-2015, 08:32 PM
Plus, if I actually do like a book that I am reading, I will be worried that after 6 issues DC will just completely change its mind and restart with something totally different.

That's something I've noticed (the 6 issue thing). My theory on the New 52 is that their plan was to only ever have 52 books total, and any selling below their baseline would be cancelled immediately and a new series would be created to try (and I *think* that baseline amount is around 30K-32K copies per month) The end goal would be after some trial and error, ONLY good selling books would remain, and those series would generate nothing but profit for years to come. However I don't think it works quite that way, and really adds the directionless feeling many DC Fans have, who feel lost.

I think DC's trying to find their bearings in a post-Batman Begins era, and are throwing everything against the wall to see what "sticks", but I don't think they understand what people truly want anymore. Especially with the money loss of last year, they'll be understandably so anxious about their "bottom line" they'll be even more wary of taking chances on new directions, and keep "safe" books and titles (the ones that keep their current audience). And they will NEVER overcome Marvel using the same tactics.

I'm not sure all of these changes can be "fixed" at this point,

What if everything were rebooted just one more time, to a more Universal approach to the characters, Meaning going back to the core of who the characters are (original backstories + any core happenings since then that were adopted as part of the characters by many fans), but "freshened up" in a sensible way? Shedding gimmicks, and focusing on enjoyable reading for everyone, not just certain age groups. Would something like that appeal to you as a reader?

Now MY rant is over! :)

Renae De Liz
10-18-2015, 08:41 PM
Wow, that sounds so awesome. Like a dream story and a dream project! You guys are an inspiration and I guess hard work pays off. I hope the book is received well, and I will definitely be eagerly checking it out!

Yeah, I still can't believe it happened, actually. I feel insanely lucky, but now all I can think of is "I hope I don't screw this up" :) Even if everyone HATES it, at least I'll know I gave it my very best shot.

Congratulations are in order Renae! I love the look of the character as it reminds me of Adrianne Palicki from the failed pilot (although I liked it)... I'm so there there for this! G

Thank you :) I like Adrienne Palicki!

Steven, MBirkhofer, Stewart and Bucky, thanks so much for your thoughts and letting me pick your brains! :)

Stewart Vernon
10-18-2015, 10:41 PM
Yeah, I still can't believe it happened, actually. I feel insanely lucky, but now all I can think of is "I hope I don't screw this up" :) Even if everyone HATES it, at least I'll know I gave it my very best shot.

I can't see "everyone hating it" being a possible reality, even in the New-52! :)

Screwtape Jenkins
10-19-2015, 12:28 AM
Couldn't happen to a nicer, more deserving person. Congratulations, Renae!

nams
10-19-2015, 02:09 PM
Congratulations to both Ray and Renae... amazing news :bounce:

Writer and artist! really amazing Renae can't wait to read this book! :banana::carrot:

Renae De Liz
10-19-2015, 08:59 PM
I can't see "everyone hating it" being a possible reality, even in the New-52! :)

Well, here's hoping that's true. My story delivery is pretty different than other DC books, hence my worries.

Renae De Liz
10-19-2015, 09:05 PM
Thanks Nams and Screwtape Jenkins! :) :bounce:

Here are some images I've posted elsewhere. They should have previews up soon I hope.

http://s16.postimg.org/dgnknvhph/Etta_Candy_Legend_Of_Wonder_Woman_Renae_De_Liz_A.j pg

http://s24.postimg.org/p7bk5n3p1/Amazon_Warriors_Legend_Of_Wonder_Woman_Renae_De.jp g

http://s1.postimg.org/6hbjm5dpr/Hippolyta_Legend_Of_Wonder_Woman_Renae_De_Liz_An.j pg

DonEdwards
10-20-2015, 05:41 AM
Here's what I think: I will be straight up buying this book because 2 of my favorite people are on it. I haven't had the pleasure of meeting Renae or Ray face to face, but I've been following them for years, starting right here on DW. I've always liked Renae's style, and I love the fact she embraces her animation-like tendencies and can just make it work. A lot of her pieces look like still frames from an animated feature, and she's one of the reasons I got back to and learned to embrace my natural "cartoony" style that for so long I set aside, thinking it wasn't good enough.

But back to our superstar here...Renae's not just a comics creator, but she's an innovator as well, taking the reins and a stand for women in the industry and getting WOMANTHOLOGY out and making people take notice of something that a lot of us more indie minded people already knew. Her work, as incredible and beautiful as it already is, is elevated still by Ray's finishing touches. These two might just be the best husband and wife team in comics today...something, again, a lot of us here on DW have known for YEARS and now the WORLD (think about that for a second...the friggin' WORLD, man!!!) is gonna see for itself.

I honestly feel PRIDE for you, Renae, and I swear I couldn't be happier for you and Ray. You both have seen your share of misfortune and hardship and never gave up your dreams, not to mention you're pulling all this off AND maintaining a full house of three boys (one a newborn) and keeping Ray and his beard in line!! If anything, art aside, you're an inspiration for me to keep my head high and stay the course. I chat sometimes with Ray on FB and he's always encouraging me and keeping me positive, and I used to think he was some kind of wise, hair-suite version of Yoda (LOL) but I see he's just borrowing from your play book, using your strength and example to offer up to dudes like me when maybe sometimes the world gets a little too dark to see.

I know this might sound weird, but I love you guys like an extended family (in an equally weird way I feel like I've known you guys a while now) and I continue to pray for you and Ray's continued rise and many deserved successes as well as the health and well being of your family. I will support you guys anyway I can.

Much love and RESPECT.

-D

Michael Ford
10-20-2015, 12:04 PM
Well, here's hoping that's true. My story delivery is pretty different than other DC books, hence my worries.

Is that a bad thing?

If this was just like all the other books then it would blend it and just be average. Instead, you would be doing something new, something different, and that's exciting.

But even if the worst happens and this doesn't take off anywhere near as much as you'd hope, you still have a whole lot of people here on DigitalWebbing who will still support you.

Confidence isn't knowing that you won't fail, it's knowing that you'll be fine if you do.

russbrett
10-22-2015, 09:41 PM
Wow.

Congratulations, Renae.

It's one thing to hear the BIG TWO talk about bringing talent up from the indie scene, but it's a whole 'nother thing to actually witness it.

You certainly deserve this and I suspect it is only the beginning.

DaveyDouble
10-23-2015, 05:21 AM
This is the best news I've read in quite a while.
Huge congratulations to Renae and Ray

Buckyrig
10-31-2015, 12:16 PM
The solicitation in Previews says the first physical issue is 40 pages at $3.99.

Is that correct?

Renae De Liz
10-31-2015, 01:03 PM
I guess so. Each of the 9 chapters (or issues) is 30 pages, so the other 10 pages is probably other stuff they put in there.

Man, it's almost November already! :blink: Happy Halloween everyone!

Buckyrig
10-31-2015, 01:24 PM
You know what, I forgot DC includes the ad pages in its page counts.

What's the date the digital version will be available?

Renae De Liz
11-02-2015, 07:10 PM
Apparently November 12th! The pre-order for the first digital chapter is HERE (https://www.comixology.com/The-Legend-of-Wonder-Woman-2015-1/digital-comic/302509?ref=c2VyaWVzL3ZpZXcvZGVza3RvcC9ncmlkTGlzdC9 Jc3N1ZXM).

Renae De Liz
11-11-2015, 08:58 PM
Oh god the first chapter comes out digitally tomorrow. :blink: I think I'm going to barf everywhere in anxiety. Just so you know!

Some more previews.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CTkfMGaWsAACeGM.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CTkb-vvWwAQ4q6z.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CTf_dRAUsAExye5.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CS13oQQUcAEW5vz.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CR37f4JUAAAWIZU.jpg:large

DJA
11-12-2015, 12:35 AM
This looks good. Dig your style.

Stewart Vernon
11-12-2015, 12:36 AM
Love what I've seen so far. Hard to imagine this will not be very well received!

Bishop
11-12-2015, 07:40 PM
A few things...

1. Awesome to see this in the top few titles in the "Featured" section of Comixology.

2. Just read the first issue. Freaking awesome! The story and art are fantastic. You guys knocked this out of the park!

3. Can't wait for the next issue!

Ray Dillon
11-13-2015, 02:20 AM
u0Oai_UZJUA

maverick
11-13-2015, 04:46 PM
nice work guys

Buckyrig
11-14-2015, 12:07 PM
So, this was really enjoyable. Cool that the format is taken into account in designing the layouts. Definitely works better for an online comic. (Although I'm curious how the printed version will look.)

I only know the broad strokes of the Wonder Woman origin, so I don't know exactly where you've tweaked it necessarily. (There was an actual sculpture and Hera gave it life if I remember correctly.) The set up as it is seems like an interesting foundation in any case.

Everything looks great. Has a feel of being just askew from reality, which works well. And the kids look adorable.

If I have a criticism, it's that the prose opening goes on a bit too long. But I'm not sure how else you could have gotten all that backstory across. And breaking it up over as many pages as you did does make it more digestible.

Renae De Liz
11-14-2015, 10:05 PM
Thanks guys! :banana: And double thanks for buying the digital, because I know many people don't like buying that version of books.

And yeah, lots of backstory/rules to cover as quickly as possible, it was quite difficult. Especially trying to fit it all in those darned 10 page digital chapter limits, but leave enough room to get the main story going too.

Onto the next. Looking forward to intense anxiety for the next 26 Thursdays! :)

Buckyrig
12-07-2015, 11:02 PM
You guys forgot to mention this was being released weekly. :p

Is there an explanation for how Diana is expected to take over as queen if Hippolyta is immortal?

The environments are fantastic by the way.

rodrigo
12-09-2015, 07:25 AM
WOW!! LOVED the Video!!! Beautifulllllllll!!!!!

Ray Dillon
12-11-2015, 12:10 AM
You guys forgot to mention this was being released weekly. :p

Is there an explanation for how Diana is expected to take over as queen if Hippolyta is immortal?

The environments are fantastic by the way.

Hippolyta's #1 motivation is for Diana to be granted immortality.

So, she would either step down or make Diana into the perfect queen so that the gods would choose to grant her immortality so she can be the new queen. Hippolyta would find a way to make it happen.

And thank you! Renae does amazing environments. They always feel like a place you could really walk or an awesome video game level or something. Love them.

Buckyrig
01-14-2016, 11:35 AM
Picked up the physical copy of issue 1. (Reminded me though that I think I forgot to put in an order for issue 3.)

Landscape pages broke down well. Probably wouldn't even notice if I hadn't read the digital copy.

maverick
04-29-2016, 11:26 AM
Congratulations on the Eisner nomination!

Renae De Liz
05-05-2016, 07:38 PM
Congratulations on the Eisner nomination!

Thank you, Maverick! :) It was totally unexpected, that's for sure!

Renae De Liz
06-08-2016, 09:06 PM
So, Volume 2 has been green-lit by DC! So plotting that story now. Super excited. I'm hoping to branch out to other DC heroes soon (I'd be writing, and will be looking for other artists for most of them). :carrot:

It's been a very... interesting experience with this book. I've experienced a TON of uplifting support, but also a lot of confusing dismissal type attitudes with some people. All in all a good experience and I look forward to more.

Thanks to all you DWers for being there to support it all :)

The Spirit
06-08-2016, 09:07 PM
Wow! This looks great!

Buckyrig
06-09-2016, 12:19 PM
So, Volume 2 has been green-lit by DC! So plotting that story now.

What kind of time table are you looking at?

Renae De Liz
06-12-2016, 10:04 PM
What kind of time table are you looking at?

DC is open to whatever in terms of time. For me, I'd like to get it done in a year's time so I can move on to the next thing. :banana: Which means it could potentially start coming out Spring of next year, hopefully earlier.

Because it's not in continuity, and it's not a continuous series, I have a ton of freedom in terms of story and time, and I love it that way. I wish they'd open up to more series for new creators to play around in, I think that's DC's best bet to cultivate the next generation of ideas for their characters.

Stewart Vernon
06-13-2016, 04:32 AM
That sounds cool all around... I mean, what you're doing is cool... but that you're getting the freedom and time to do it your way too.