PDA

View Full Version : Searching for the right Company

Areocube
10-08-2015, 10:52 AM
I started out freelancing my pencils and inks back in 2008. Which was a great way to earn experience, hone in my craft, and get my feet wet in the industry. For several years I worked for minimal pay per page, sometimes for free... and it took me a while to discipline myself and get to the point of pushing out 4 quality pages a week. It was a great learning experience.

I wanted more. Not necessarily money... I wanted more titles underneath my belt. I wanted to grow my inventory of published work.

Since 2013, I have been working as a resident artist with my publishing company. They loved my work and wanted me to come on board, they promised i'd definitely get my published inventory expanded with them. They offered me backend sales pay for the books I worked on. I have completed 3 full titles for this company since I joined, working for free up-front, and still nothing has made it to the printers. 2 and a half years and nothing to show for it. Although I have made some good friends within this company... and I guess that is why I haven't moved along yet.

So, I am feeling compelled to start searching for a new comic residence with another company. A company that is all about art production and making it happen. I have also been seriously thinking about creating my own company, but a lack of capital is my only obstacle with that notion.

I yearn to surround myself with like minded individuals. I am searching for the right Company with the same amount of passion and dedication that I have. Can anyone suggest a company out there that is pro-active and growing in the comic industry? A fresh company that is about to explode and take off?

thanks guys.

Duane Korslund
10-08-2015, 11:14 AM
Is that still how it works? I hope so. I think most of us are still searching for that model (though I cant speak for everyone else).
It seems the new trend is everyone does their own projects, and works for themselves, or with one other person to make an indy project and focuses on that until they either give up out of frustration that no one is paying any attention to it, or one or both of them get noticed by an established, large publishing house and gets signed on to do their creator owned project...which usually lasts for a year or so until they fade back into obscurity.
Are the days of creating your own "comic company" with like minded individuals still relevant without oodles of start up capital to legitimize yourself as a "publishing company"?
It'd be nice to find people like that again.
I too yearn to surround myself with like minded individuals :)

Bishop
10-08-2015, 04:29 PM
I don't know of any publishers that are about to "explode and take off". The big four have things so locked down there is very little margin for anyone else to come in and make a dent. However, I feel that the first company to do something innovative and new in the digital publishing market has a great chance at being successful. Finding that innovation without making it gimmicky is a hard thing to do, though.

Stewart Vernon
10-08-2015, 08:50 PM
Agree with Bishop... when it was just the big two, there was room for more independent play to make it big... but with four companies sharing the bulk of the pie, it's really hard for anyone else to break in.

That doesn't mean it can't happen... but like Bishop says, it is more apt to happen in a new way, than a traditional one. If a new company comes in with quality product and is able to leverage the digital platform in a way that the others have thus far not managed... that would be a new place to play in and gain a foothold.