PDA

View Full Version : The Best Computer Printer

Bazooka Whoosh
09-04-2015, 01:30 AM
Hello,

This is only my second post here at Digital Webbing, so please forgive me if I've posted this question in the wrong place.

I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on computer printers for comic art.

In my case, I would like to be able to print black and white line art onto bristol board - or something that is equivalently thick - and then color the reproduced line art by hand.

So, what I'm looking for is a printer that can feed 11 x 17 inch bristol board and print in waterproof ink.

Is there such a thing?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Emmis
09-05-2015, 12:37 PM
The Brother line of all in ones is one I've been very happy with for a while. The ink is affordable, separate cmyk cartridges, they have a range of options for buying too. Right now I'm using their mfc-j6520dw, and it can handle scanning and printing 11x17, although I found it cannot handle Bristol from the loading tray, you have to feed it through the back one at a time. But the color is good, alignment is good if you take your time and don't just force it through, and its a couple hundred bucks, which I was happy with considering printers get crazy.

I use it mostly for the same thing you want, b&w line art, and I've had no complaints that I can recall

Bazooka Whoosh
09-06-2015, 07:37 PM
Wow, Emmis, the Brother scans 11 x 17 as well as printing that same size.

And it is useful to know that the bristol can be hand fed from behind the machine.

I'll check with the online service reps and see if the ink is waterproof. Very cool lead, thanks again.

L Jamal
09-07-2015, 02:29 PM
I have an HP Officejet 7610.
I scans up to 11x17 and prints up to 13x18
The newest model is the 7612
http://www.amazon.com/HP-Officejet-Wireless-G1X85A-B1H/dp/B00JOI5O8C/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AN8LN2YPKS7DF

Bazooka Whoosh
09-07-2015, 07:02 PM
Another major brand printer/scanner with an 11 x 17 bed and large format print capacity. I must be looking for these things in the wrong places.

Thanks for the lead on the HP Office jet 7612.

If you don't mind mind my asking another question: Can you feed bristol board through your HP Office jet 7610?

Emmis
09-07-2015, 07:03 PM
Wow, that one looks good. I've been burned (sometime literally) with HP in the past but if I didn't already have mine I might have had to give that one a try. I like the large printing possibility

L Jamal
09-07-2015, 08:27 PM
For those with iOS devices. the HP 7610/7612 is wireless printer with AirPrint so you can print to it from your iOs devices.

B-McKinley
09-08-2015, 08:54 AM
Might as well put in a good word for the Epson WorkForce WF-7510 or EF-7520. It can scan up to 11x17 and print up to 13x19. Also wireless. It can print on Bristol board no problem, and you can even load up a tray with 11x17 and print multiple pages at once.

Bazooka Whoosh
09-09-2015, 11:58 PM
Thanks, B-Mckinley, I appreciate your input on this. Epson is a big name printer company for sure.

I was looking at a few today but, sadly, my research has ruled out all the inkjet printers.

As far as I can tell, and from the limited testing I've done so far, the inkjet ink is a liquid ink that - like (most) fountain pen ink - is not waterproof. It is sold as "water resistant," which means that: When I take a dry print and then wet it thoroughly and leave it sit and dry, it begins to smear. The smearing isn't immediate, but it does occur before the paper dries.

However.

The laser printers - like traditional photocopy machines - use heat to fuze (or melt) a powder into a temporarily liquid state that then dries permanently on the paper. This method produces a waterproof mark. So watercolor painting on a photocopy, or a laser printer print, does not lead to black smears and runs on the final product.

The trouble is that large format laser printers cost a lot - like 2000 bucks.

Funny, but the little ones that work with 11 x 14.5" and smaller paper, are quite cheap.

I may be out of luck on my plans for generating home office prints and water coloring them.:(

B-McKinley
09-10-2015, 06:30 PM
Not a printer, but have you considered Rebelle (http://www.escapemotions.com/products/rebelle/index.php)? (Since you're talking about water color.)

Bazooka Whoosh
09-12-2015, 02:37 AM
Interesting stuff, B-Mckinley.

Thanks for the link. Not sure I'd go that way but definitely something I did not know about.