PDA

View Full Version : Question About Hand Lettering

Bazooka Whoosh
08-19-2015, 01:11 AM
Hi,

I'm new to the forums and I almost posted this in the lettering showcase, but, well, since it is a technical question I thought it should go here.

I was reading some of the tech links on hand lettering and I noticed that the recommended size for comic book lettering lines on 10x15 inch original art size pages was achieved by setting the Ames Guide to 3 or 3.5 on the non-metric side of the adjustment circle.

I tried this. And the size of the letters that fit between the Ames Guide's lines seemed kinda small.

This is both good and bad. Good because it would allow for more text and more art than larger letter sizes. But bad...

Well, bad because I worry it may look too small when reproduced.

So my question is: Does anyone have any experience hand lettering 10x15 originals with the Ames Guide at 3 or 3.5 Guide setting and then reducing the work to standard comic book page size? And if so what are your opinions on Ames Guide settings for 10x15 inch original page size lettering?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Steven Forbes
08-19-2015, 01:44 AM
I moved this for you because you're more apt to get the answer you're looking for if you talk to the experts. It will more than likely get lost in Creator Community.

MattTriano
08-19-2015, 05:56 AM
Visit a printshop with your sample letters drawn at various sizes at 10x15. Make a copy at 67% and compare with your favorite books. Play around.

B-McKinley
08-19-2015, 12:07 PM
I'm going to tack on a additional technical question in case professional letterers stop by. I drew out guidelines using an Ames on 3.5 following the tutorials about comic lettering and seem to have a cap height of 9 pt. With the space between lines about 4.5 pt. (I don't think leading is quite the right term in this case.) Is that about right? Any tips for translating that sort of sizing into Manga Studio terms - other than scanning in the guidelines and eyeballing it with a font?

Bazooka Whoosh
08-19-2015, 05:40 PM
Hi,

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far. Even if your responses don't answer the question, I do feel welcomed by your attention.

And, Matt, I probably will have to do some experimentation. Your advice is sound. However, I want to limit the experimentation process as much as possible and move forward with my book. And so if anyone has had any luck with hand lettering I would still be grateful to learn if:

Does anyone have any experience hand lettering 10x15 originals with the Ames Guide at 3 or 3.5 Guide setting and then reducing the work to standard comic book page size? And if so what are your opinions on Ames Guide settings for 10x15 inch original page size lettering?

Thank you.

L Jamal
08-20-2015, 09:23 AM
http://blambot.com/handlettering.shtml

MattTriano
08-20-2015, 06:55 PM
http://blambot.com/handlettering.shtml

This is good advice, if a little dated. No editor is sending any letterer a penciled page because there is no advantage to cutting out the ease of digital exchange. Editors sometimes still receive finished art from inkers, which is then scanned by the bullpen to be formatted, catalogued and finally uploaded to an FTP server from which the letterer and colorist can pull, work, and re-upload finishes at will (often simultaneously) with assured instantaneous delivery.

I said all that to say this: if you're working on the art too, and you're working professionally for someone who doesn't mind that you'd like to hand letter? This is a good workflow. Try it! Tell us all about it.

As an aside, I've always been a little interested in hand-lettering something of mine. I may do, provided the guys at Image, Oni or Dark Horse are ok with it. I can't see anyone at Marvel printing hand-lettered work anymore, unless the letterer were a master of particular renown and the project were of sufficient draw to warrant the extra time and cost.

Best,
M