PDA

View Full Version : web comic banter

Aron Mason
08-16-2015, 11:52 AM
hi I'm new here so i hope i'm posting this question in the correct place. So to business web comic banter, the stuff people write when they post a comic page to get people to leave feedback. I have to admit I have no skill for it. I can sit and write a story from my head with no problem but when it comes to putting stuff under my daily post i just go blank :huh:
So how do you guys do it? some tips on this would be helpful.
regards
Aron.

paul brian deberry
08-16-2015, 12:53 PM
really? just say something related to the page or some rambling of something that happened the day/week of the drawing.

write as if you're one of the characters from the story.

Aron Mason
08-16-2015, 02:47 PM
it's an interesting idea to write from the pov of my characters, thanks for the reply

dmh_3000
08-16-2015, 11:39 PM
It's not necessary to write something under every page. You can leave it blank if you have nothing to add.

B-McKinley
08-17-2015, 09:22 AM
If you can't think of anything to say, just let the work stand on its own. If you were showing it to someone in person, what would you tell them about it? In other words, just be yourself, don't strive for 'banter'.

That being said, Google and other search engines can't read comics. So if you are interested in showing up in a search result, you can include a transcript. you can also write more at length about whatever the subject of the comic is, the creative process, or things related to other subjects your audience would be interested in.

Stewart Vernon
08-17-2015, 03:00 PM
Most of the web comics I post are just that... comics/images with no regular text in the post I make on my blog. I do get to put some tags/keywords in there... and that seems to help me show up in Google fairly well.

paul brian deberry
08-17-2015, 10:06 PM
but, if you want return views it is more than recommended to engage the viewership. just posting your comic IS NOT enough.

Stewart Vernon
08-17-2015, 11:02 PM
Oh, I post lots of other things too... like drawings with a little behind-the-scenes info, or some prose every once in a while. I also respond to anyone who comments on a blog post.

I definitely encourage mixing things up a bit and posting more than just a single comic... and absolutely engage with anyone who visits and leaves comments.

Stewart Vernon
08-20-2015, 04:18 AM
For what it's worth... Back when I first started my blog, comics and even text posts wouldn't show up in Google searches for a week... but as time went on, that time has become reduced quite a bit.

Now I typically see same-day Google search results from blog posts. I don't know how many hours, but it's less than half a day because stuff I posted yesterday afternoon showed up sometime after midnight when I remembered to check.

Granted, I know what keywords to search for... but when I've chosen my keywords well then it's a good thing. There are a few of my blog posts that show up at or near the top of search results too, so I must be doing something right.

But, it did take time... time for Google to find and start indexing me in the first place, and time to build up enough content that Google visits and indexes me multiple times a day since I post at least once a day on average on my blog.