PDA

View Full Version : Page Dimensions: Print v. Digital

jpgaltmiller
08-04-2015, 08:13 PM
Hey folks,

It's funny. I've done a small-run print on one book, and released two digital issues, and for some reason this question never struck me before now:

To print, I'm sending files that extend out to Bleed dimensions. These will be trimmed. Yet I've so far been using those files with the Bleed dimensions in my digital delivery. Is it standard practice to first crop to Trim dimensions before creating a PDF or CBR?

I guess the answer seems pretty obvious. But I've not yet seen anyone mention that detail in my reading and research.

Just curious what other folks do.

Stewart Vernon
08-04-2015, 08:36 PM
Since the purpose of the bleed area is to allow you to extend content to the trim, and result in a trimmed page that has no "white" space at the edges... there's no value in having the bleed in the digital-only version.

Having said that... unless it looks bad/wrong, you don't have to change it for the digital versions. Depending on what normally gets trimmed off in your print version, you could even argue giving the "uncut" version in the digital edition is like a bonus or something.

Now, if you had something in your bleed area that is not intended to be seen (unfinished work, not consistent, etc.) then you might want to keep it "trimmed" to give the best overall impression of your work.

jpgaltmiller
08-04-2015, 08:56 PM
Hey Stewart,

Thanks for this. That's an interesting idea about going "uncut".

No, nothing there that should not be seen, and a fair portion of the artwork does go full bleed. But then I was thinking about those times when it's a bunch of white around the edges - by cutting some of that out, it means the actual art has a (slightly) better resolution in the lower res digital output...

Guess I'll have to consider whether or not that difference is worth it or not.

Stewart Vernon
08-04-2015, 11:57 PM
I'm doing a comic strip in Illustrator... and have been playing around with potential comic size layouts for a collection at some point. In Illustrator, when you choose "save as PDF" one of the customizable settings is to use the document bleed settings OR set them manually.

So, basically I have a really easy way from there to generate a PDF for printing that has the bleed margins but a digital-only PDF without them by basically a click of one setting.

I don't know how easy this is to do in other applications, as I have been mostly working in Illustrator at this point.