PDA

View Full Version : Sound effect help

scrappy
08-02-2015, 11:04 PM
I have a chase scene and was wondering if I need/should use sound effects. Should there be sound effects for the tapping of the feet on the ground? Should there be sound effects for heavy breathing? And if so, what should they each be? I'm drawing a blank. Any help/suggestions is appreciated.

Newt
08-02-2015, 11:15 PM
This probably belongs in the Writer Showcase. I'd say that no, you don't need sound effects for those - unless there is some specific story-related reason, like that the pursuer is tracking the runner by the sound of his footsteps, or the runner is about to have an asthma attack, or something like that.

Otherwise leave them out. Readers can supply the sounds themselves; sound effects serve to draw attention to important events, not to transliterate the soundscape of your imagined scene into words. Just my two cents!

Stewart Vernon
08-03-2015, 01:49 AM
I'm with Newt... it's not necessary unless the story calls for it. I'd also add the example of IF the character is speaking as he is running, then you could use a sound effect OR reflect the labored breathing in the spoken dialog somehow.

Steven Forbes
08-03-2015, 01:57 AM
Two things:

I moved this to keep Chit Chat clear of work stuff. It isn't a "work space". It's a "let your hair down and get to know each other/talk about non-work related stuff" area.

Second, New is right.

That's all I have at the moment.

scrappy
08-03-2015, 08:36 AM
Thanks, guys.

Also, I was under the impression that if I didn't have anything to "showcase" it shouldn't be in this forum. But I guess its just a general term for "stuff." I'll remember that.