PDA

View Full Version : Should I invest in an expensive brush?

NatMatt
07-31-2015, 11:29 PM
I've been inking with a Winsor Newton Series 7 #2 brush for a few month now. In the time I've inked with it, I found it doesn't quite create the lines I want in my artwork. I purchased the brush for $12 on Amazon and noticed the bigger the brush size, the more costly it gets. I was wondering, is it worth it to buy an expensive brush to ink with? Are those what the professional artists use to ink? I don't really have a problem dishing out the money on a quality brush but if it's not worth it then forget it. So in your opinion, is it worth it to invest in an expensive brush as opposed to an inexpensive brush?

DFY
08-01-2015, 08:44 AM
If you are using the brush to practice inking , it would be better to buy a synthetic hair one. They are a lot less cheaper.
Another alternative would be using brush pens. I find them to be just as good as brushes.
The only downside is you have to buy new ones once they run out of ink.

SatyQ
08-02-2015, 06:08 AM
I'm not sure what you are wanting out of your brush but as the owner of a W&N #2 brush I can tell you it's too big for the fine lines you can achieve with a #0 or #1, but I prefer the amount of ink it holds before reloading for the bulk of my work. I also have a couple of #4s but I mostly use those for painting in color work rather than inking, unless I'm filling in large black areas. The larger the brush, the fatter you can take your line as you press down into the paper, and the longer a stroke you can make before the brush needs to be dipped again.

Newt
08-02-2015, 01:00 PM
If you're in the US- importation of sable hair has been banned, so it's probably a good idea to find an alternative anyways. Once current stock of sable brushes is sold out they won't be available anymore. I don't know what the best alternative is - I'll be watching this thread with interest to see what others suggest.

Scott McCloud quotes someone (I don't remember who) saying, "Winsor and Newton makes the best brush in the world...every once in a while" and I've found that to be true. If you're ordering the brushes instead of buying in-store you are likely not getting the best individual brushes.

I don't do much inking, but I use W&N sables in painting. I've found that the bigger brushes are actually great for fine lines - if you have a good brush with a nice tip to it.

johnjohn
08-05-2015, 03:03 PM
If you're thinking of moving to markers Molotow makes a refillable marker with changeable tips for around the same cost as Prismacolor and Copic.

Scribbly
08-05-2015, 04:38 PM
Winsor Newton Series Cotman designer's round are great synthetic brushes of great quality that have similar results on paper than Sable Series 7 brushes with inexpensive and very low cost.
http://www.dickblick.com/products/winsor-and-newton-cotman-watercolor-brushes/

http://www.dickblick.com/products/winsor-and-newton-series-7-kolinsky-sable-miniature-brushes/

Newt
08-10-2015, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the tip, Scribbly! I'll have to try those out.

DaveyDouble
08-15-2015, 06:47 AM
Pentel Brush Pens are a nice alternative to traditional brushes for inking. Not that expensive, refillable, easy to control.

angry pencil
08-22-2015, 03:57 PM
I use a Raphael #2 brush for inking. I love it. I think it is a comparable brush. Plus it is all in the look you are going for when you are inking your work. Do you want that type of look or more dip pen, or even just go digital. Study other artists and what they use. Inking with a brush takes some time to master.

Like Dalton in Roadhouse said "Opinions vary"