PDA

View Full Version : Lettering Software

liheibao
07-27-2015, 04:47 PM
Hi,

I need to letter a comic within a week's time and would like some recommendations on software that would be best, if lads do not mind. Adobe Illustrator takes too much time, and while Comic Life is good, I'm curious to know if there are other, better options than what I've listed here.

Thanks!

Bishop
07-27-2015, 05:28 PM
Illustrator is the best if you know how to use it. Manga Studio has some pretty intuitive tools for lettering, but I'll leave it to some of the pro's on here to gauge whether it is something worth using or not.

paul brian deberry
07-27-2015, 06:07 PM
rant

if you don't have the software or know what sorta software you need to have. then you really shouldn't attempt to letter something on short notice.

people are under the misconception that lettering is easy. it is not. it is not something that you can learn in a few days.

going on the impression that you're new to lettering. I am going to throw this out there and say it's gonna look like crap. yes. if you had a month to learn the basic you can master the fundamentals of lettering.

I doubt you'll listen, but ask yourself, do you really want to showcase your comic book, with it's awesome story and amazing art, and THEN throw on some horrible lettering that you did in a couple days.

end rant

answer your question. best software to use is Adobe Illustrator. Manga Studio is another safe bet. these are really the only ones that work. some have letter using Adobe Photoshop. anyone that is serious about making a professional comic use one or the other.

you can find several tutorials here on this website, youtube, blambot.com, balloontales.com or google some of the greats like Clem Robbins. they all have fantastic resources on their site.

khperkins
07-27-2015, 07:48 PM
rant

if you don't have the software or know what sorta software you need to have. then you really shouldn't attempt to letter something on short notice.

people are under the misconception that lettering is easy. it is not. it is not something that you can learn in a few days.

going on the impression that you're new to lettering. I am going to throw this out there and say it's gonna look like crap. yes. if you had a month to learn the basic you can master the fundamentals of lettering.

I doubt you'll listen, but ask yourself, do you really want to showcase your comic book, with it's awesome story and amazing art, and THEN throw on some horrible lettering that you did in a couple days.

end rant

answer your question. best software to use is Adobe Illustrator. Manga Studio is another safe bet. these are really the only ones that work. some have letter using Adobe Photoshop. anyone that is serious about making a professional comic use one or the other.

you can find several tutorials here on this website, youtube, blambot.com, balloontales.com or google some of the greats like Clem Robbins. they all have fantastic resources on their site.

What he said... Also, it takes me about 2 days, or less to letter a 20 page comic with Illustrator.

liheibao
07-28-2015, 10:28 PM
Thanks for that. I'm not new to lettering. I've lettered before using Comic Life and Illustrator, I just wanted another option from those with more experience. Thanks again.

Rob Norton
07-29-2015, 01:38 PM
to tag onto the original post...

is there some kind of free software available that does at least a semi decent job? I have a long sitting personal screw around project that's in need of some basic words on it that I will have to do myself or it will never see the light of day. I cant pay a letterer, nor would I because its only a fan comic done for fun. but I need something that allows lettering to be done, like speech bubbles in a reasonably competent way. any suggestions?

rob

maverick
07-29-2015, 05:44 PM
"Illustrator takes too much time" ???

huh? :blink:

paul brian deberry
07-29-2015, 07:51 PM
"Illustrator takes too much time" ???

huh? :blink:

haha, main reason for my rant.

khperkins
07-29-2015, 08:10 PM
to tag onto the original post...

is there some kind of free software available that does at least a semi decent job? I have a long sitting personal screw around project that's in need of some basic words on it that I will have to do myself or it will never see the light of day. I cant pay a letterer, nor would I because its only a fan comic done for fun. but I need something that allows lettering to be done, like speech bubbles in a reasonably competent way. any suggestions?

rob
Inkscape does a good job.

paul brian deberry
07-30-2015, 06:36 PM
Anyone that is creating comic books needs Manga Studio. Specially an artist.

khperkins
07-30-2015, 07:45 PM
Yep, although I still don't letter in it. I'd still rather do that in Illustrator, I'm not sure if it's just because I'm more comfortable with the tools, or if MS still isn't up to par there.

Bishop
07-30-2015, 08:21 PM

I agree 100%. It provides so much efficiency.

liheibao
08-04-2015, 09:23 PM
Manga Studio did the job. Much more flexible than Illustrator and a more professional look than Comic Life.

DaveyDouble
08-15-2015, 06:45 AM
Late to the party but just to backup what's been said.

Illustrator and Manga Studio if you're going to do it with fonts, Inkscape if you can't buy them. If you want to try hand lettering digitally, and you have a tablet/stylus, try Sketchbook Pro (which is what I use).

You have the usual real world tools like rulers, elipsis and the rest, you have the Steady Stroke for tails, it doesn't cost a fortune and the results look very nice (although different to using vectorised fonts and lines).

Worth a look.

And no, its not easy.