PDA

View Full Version : how do you organize yourself?

neil_w2
07-24-2015, 10:49 PM
yes, that's my question, how do you organize yourself?

id like to make some web-comics, but their are so many aspects to it and there are only so many hours in the day and one has so many other responsibilities.

so how do you organize yourself.

at some point i think what i did was push for story development and gestural work through out random spare time of the day and at the end of the day before i hit the sack spend about an hour pushing for completing the latest issue or page.

but then id like to have some time dedicated to going back and doing some editing fixing old pages and id like to have some time dedicated to R&D, Research and Development where id look into figuring out what else can i do with the web-comic like maybe working on the website, or developing advertisement, or doing gallery work, trying out stuff suggested by "unnatural talent" or any of those other books, stuff like that.

again 'how do you organize yourself?'

if you have too many things to cover in a proper consistent schedule would the best thing to do be to setup some sort of rotational schedule and just rotate through everything that you wanna work on?

B-McKinley
07-26-2015, 02:18 PM
What I did was this:

I defined the scope of my project. "The goal". I laid out how much I planned to create and when I would like to have that finished. That gives you a time frame and a something measurable to check your progress against.

Then in my task management software (Asana), I created all of the tasks that I felt I just had to incorporate into accomplishing that project. This is because with my other projects I always ran up against deadlines and was left with the nagging feeling that it would be better if I had done 'X'.

So this list of tasks includes categories like education, research, concept art, character design, script, and finally a series of pages to be drawn. When I had created a task for everything I wanted to focus on at some point (including 64 tasks labeled Page 1-64) I had 100+ tasks that stretch out about two years. So I need to focus on doing one thing a week (which eventually becomes one page a week). That sounds manageable even with a full time job.

Next I put all of the tasks in order. I estimate about how long I think they will take and assign a due date based on that estimate. That way I know that what comes next and how to divide that task up so it gets done on time. Today I have completed 22 tasks and have 92 remaining. I'm a little behind my estimates so I've reset the page deadlines to be 3 pages every 2 weeks and starting in January. That leaves me the rest of this year to wrap up the script and concept art.

I'm learning a lot of things from this.

The biggest temptation is to want to skip ahead.To rush through. Why? Well half of my tasks are things no one will ever see. I'm doing them because they lay the foundation to build that finished product on. But I've also gained insight into the things I end up doing that don't add anything to the end result.

And I found out that once I've spent a lot of time on something that isn't adding much it's hard to just drop it. I like finishing what I start even if I can see there isn't much point to it. But, next time I do this, I will remember that lesson, and not start the pointless task, or do it in a much more efficient way.

And then life will come along and disrupt your careful schedule. So what I'm trying to do is create a life-proof working method. In a multi-month schedule there will be days where I don't feel like doing what I should be doing, or emergencies prevent me from doing what I want to do. But as long as I have that long list of tasks, I can either pick something that does fit, or know that it will still be there to pick up where I left off.