PDA

View Full Version : Kickstarter promises and publishing through publishers

Kcsledge95
07-22-2015, 01:49 PM
Don't like that title, but it's the only thing that does the question justice. I've seen Kickstarter campaigns that include option to give autographed copies to donors for a certain donation amount. Then think about publishing through Ingram-Sparks and the like, who have distribution services. What's the best way to handle making good on donations for autographed copies and working through publishers?

russbrett
07-23-2015, 12:56 AM
Don't like that title, but it's the only thing that does the question justice. I've seen Kickstarter campaigns that include option to give autographed copies to donors for a certain donation amount. Then think about publishing through Ingram-Sparks and the like, who have distribution services. What's the best way to handle making good on donations for autographed copies and working through publishers?

In my experience, the campaigns that use a distribution service AND offer a signed copy are for collected trades or hard-covers, with a separate signature plate. The service sends the book, you send the plate.

I have no idea how you would work that for an individual issue.

dmh_3000
07-23-2015, 05:51 AM
I figured you'd just buy a bunch of copies from the publisher at a reduced rate, sign those and then mail them out yourself.

vartemis
07-23-2015, 11:50 AM
In my experience, the campaigns that use a distribution service AND offer a signed copy are for collected trades or hard-covers, with a separate signature plate. The service sends the book, you send the plate.

Sig plates are the way to go. A good printer will allow you to sign a bunch of plates and ship them to them to be put in the book.

Signing actual product is a pain. You have to have it shipped to you, sign it, and then ship it out again, thereby increasing your costs. It's much cheaper to use plates for books.

Kcsledge95
07-23-2015, 01:23 PM
I figured it would have to be done that way, RussBrett, dmh, and Vartemis, and wasn't sure how that sig plate works, and figured there was something out there like that, so thanks for informing me there.