PDA

View Full Version : Seeking writers to correspond with (for advice and feedback)

TDG
07-08-2015, 12:45 PM
Hello all,

My name is Marten van Wier and I an aspiring writer from the Netherlands.
I have come to this forum with the desire to get in touch with other writers (regular comics, webcomics), doesn't matter if they are newbies like me or well established ones who don't mind guiding new people into the profession.

My big wish is to write stuff like stories/comics and so on that could be published one day as comics, short stories, game scripts and so on.
But I lack a bit of confidence and experience and that is why I would really like to talk to writers or other people here that are interested in ideas, story telling and so on.

I have been working on a couple of ideas for my own settings now including a short comic story but I would like to know from others what they think about it, what is good, what is bad, what could be stronger or should be cut and replaced.

For the moment I rather wish not to post it here openly and would rather show it to people in Emails or through Personal Messages.

Would anyone here have the time and be interested in chatting with me?

Schuyler
07-08-2015, 09:57 PM
Welcome, Marten!

Would you please tell us what you have read about writing comics? Have you read any Scott Mcloud? Steven Forbes Bolts and Nuts?

I am sure plenty of people would like to help you, but we would like to know more about you.

TDG
07-09-2015, 03:37 PM
Hey Schuyler,

Thanks for responding.
I was already thinking after I made that post "Hey, I told people that I want to become a writer too and why I want to talk with other writers, but not what I myself bring to the table."

To be honest, I have not read much about how to write comics and that was one of the various things I wanted to talk about with artist, what would be the best ways on how to learn more about the medium if you want to work in it yourself.

Unfortunately I have not seen much material here on the subject of writing comic books. Plenty on 'How to draw' (but I question sometimes how useful that sometimes is for an inspiring artist) but no "How to write comics"

I do not know of Scott Mcloud, but I have spoken with Mr Forbes recently when I saw his account on this forum and wanted to ask what would be the best way to get in touch with writers here.
He also suggested the articles of Bolts and Nuts.

Schuyler
07-09-2015, 09:59 PM
Hey Schuyler,

Thanks for responding.
I was already thinking after I made that post "Hey, I told people that I want to become a writer too and why I want to talk with other writers, but not what I myself bring to the table."

To be honest, I have not read much about how to write comics and that was one of the various things I wanted to talk about with artist, what would be the best ways on how to learn more about the medium if you want to work in it yourself.

Unfortunately I have not seen much material here on the subject of writing comic books. Plenty on 'How to draw' (but I question sometimes how useful that sometimes is for an inspiring artist) but no "How to write comics"

I do not know of Scott Mcloud, but I have spoken with Mr Forbes recently when I saw his account on this forum and wanted to ask what would be the best way to get in touch with writers here.
He also suggested the articles of Bolts and Nuts.

I am going on vacation. I will try and contact you when I return.

Take a look at The Proving Grounds. Another Steven Forbes article. He and other editors look over scripts and comment on them. There is a lot to be learned from what others have done incorrectly. There is a surplus of old articles to go over. This is a great learning tool, and maybe you will be brave enough to submit your own script, but do not submit until you have read some and know what you are in for.

Read Understanding Comics by Scott Mcloud. A must read for everyone, even non-comic fans.

The more you read the easier it is for us to help you. You will learn the terms and the format. It would be better if you worked on that before asking us to look at your work.

-Sky