PDA

View Full Version : First Time having a table in a Comic Con..

nams
07-06-2015, 08:52 AM
For the first time in my live I got a Table in the Artist’ Alley at the Portugal Comic-Con.
It is going to happen in the first weekend of December and I am a little nervous. So I thought of asking the people here in the boards what do you think is the minimum amount of material (Drawings, prints, etc) I should prepare to take with me for the Weekend. The Comic- Con last year had around 40 thousand people.
Let me hear your input on the matter.
Thank you.

Rob Norton
07-06-2015, 04:58 PM
im doing the same thing in September for the first time and am nervous a bit to. attendance at the last Con here in salt lake city was 130,000. insanely huge. not entirely sure what to expect or to do to properly prepare. guess ill find out.

rob

Scribbly
07-07-2015, 08:35 AM
im doing the same thing in September for the first time and am nervous a bit to. attendance at the last Con here in salt lake city was 130,000. insanely huge. not entirely sure what to expect or to do to properly prepare. guess ill find out.

rob

130000 people? With such attendance I wouldn't bother for having a table.
I would try to get a stand and start selling lemonade.

nams
07-07-2015, 07:09 PM
It is the second edition of a Comic Con here in Portugal last year was the first one so 40 000 people was quite a big number since we are a country were we don't even have Marvel or DC comics translated to our language since it is not profitable.
Last year was my fisrt atendance to a Comic Com this year I am going to participate.

But yeah I can't compare to anything done In the USA...

Rob Norton
07-07-2015, 07:09 PM
130000 people? With such attendance I wouldn't bother for having a table.
I would try to get a stand and start selling lemonade.

right?

the first salt lake comic con, 2 yrs ago, has the largest attendance for a first time con with 70,000 people. that's holy shit huge. and the one last year hit that 130,000 mark, which if I read my numbers right, is about the size of San Diego comic con (SDCC). so that's...wow. how does THAT happen in salt lake city, Utah of all places?!?

I got to meet Whilce Portacio and get some comics signed. nice dude. really neat to meet one of the Image founders whose work I appreciated so much as a kid, AND still do.

rob

Stewart Vernon
11-28-2015, 11:08 PM
How did either of your (nams and Rob) convention experiences go?

I couldn't find this thread the other day when I started mine. I attended a local/small show in August 2014 that I was woefully unprepared for... but it was a good learning experience. But, since I was so unprepared then, I feel like I'm still going to be under-prepped for the show I'm going back to this December.

I'm going to be scouting some local print shops to see what kinds of prices I might be able to get maybe some prints to sell or some freebie handouts to promote my Web comic.

Did either of you guys take stuff to sell, and if so, any tips on what seemed to sell for you? Obviously experiences vary. I've sold comics and trading cards at shows, used to do it for years... and I know how experiences can vary. I'd have a great show and the guy next to me would do horrible... then next show it would be reversed.

Rob Norton
11-30-2015, 10:35 PM
How did either of your (nams and Rob) convention experiences go?

I couldn't find this thread the other day when I started mine. I attended a local/small show in August 2014 that I was woefully unprepared for... but it was a good learning experience. But, since I was so unprepared then, I feel like I'm still going to be under-prepped for the show I'm going back to this December.

I'm going to be scouting some local print shops to see what kinds of prices I might be able to get maybe some prints to sell or some freebie handouts to promote my Web comic.

Did either of you guys take stuff to sell, and if so, any tips on what seemed to sell for you? Obviously experiences vary. I've sold comics and trading cards at shows, used to do it for years... and I know how experiences can vary. I'd have a great show and the guy next to me would do horrible... then next show it would be reversed.

i had a great time. tips that I could offer....

have a booth buddy(and a gal that double as a booth babe doesn't hurt either..i had a hottie gal friend with me. it made a difference).
you need someone to give you a break and help you out. goes a long way.

I took a bunch of different prints to sell. some I thought for sure would sell barley did or didn't at all. and some OTHERS that I thought would sell actually DID sell pretty well.

I tried to pay attention to whats in popular demand right at the moment...and in MY mind...the top things were Deadpool and Harley Quinn. those are good ones because they appeal to both guys AND girls. prints of them sold pretty well.

also..as an artist, I was offering on site commissions, and actually did better money wise that way than on the prints. I also just did some drawings of deadpool on my own, colored in with red marker to make them pop and tossed them on the table to sell...and all of those were snatched up real quick. people loved the original art of characters they like. and I really like it cause I did them on my own separate of being asked and just had them out there and they sold.
so advice for an artist, have some PREMADE original art to sell..and make it of things people will WANT. whats out there in the pop culture.

im thinking of doing Mad Max FURY ROAD stuff...cause that was big there..

also..don't dismiss the power of the older aging fans. my brother had some STAR TREK prints and a lot of older people came along and bought whole sets of the prints (one of each series) cause they LUVS the Star Trek.

also... people liked prints of famous people that were at the convention they were attending. at the last Salt Lake Comic Con... Chris Evans, Haley Attwell, and..whats his name.. the Falcon actor and the Bucky actor were all there.. and my brother had art prints made up of all of them, and people LOVED those. prints of the famous folks attending. do that.

Summer Glau is going to be at the next con here.. so im drawing THAT girl up.. catch the FIREFLY fans.....

so...yeah...that's what I learned. lots of fun. cant wait to do it again.

ROB

Stewart Vernon
12-01-2015, 03:35 PM
Thanks, Rob... sounds like you had a good time.

The show I'll be attending, so no celebrity guests... but I am trying to consider what kinds of characters and things are popular to figure out some things to draw. I'd like to draw a few things in advance of the show to have ready, and I'm looking into the possibility of prints and some freebies to hand out that promote the blog and myself.

Sounds like I'm basically on the right track with my preparation. I just need to put the time in and see what I can afford in the budget.

nams
12-11-2015, 01:39 PM
Hi Stewart!
Sorry for the late reply… My Comic Con experience was last Weekend (4,5 and 6 of December)… I have been busy before that preparing for the event and since then I have been busy trying to recover all the things I left undone because of the Convention.
My first participation at the Artist’s Alley of the Comic Con was positive… I didn’t make a lot of money but just enough to pay my costs attending the event. I took 10 different prints 4 colored all A3 High quality paper (300 gr) about 20 copies each print. BW prints sold pretty badly, the colored ones sold better than the BW.
What I sold the most was quick Sketches… Deadpool was a hit, Batman also… I couldn’t take my eyes off the paper the Commissions just kept coming. If I was a little faster maybe my profit would be greater… Learned a lot of things I hope I can implement on next year’s event. Like for example: Don’t take so many prints and do more pre Con Sketches. I now have a better understanding of how much is the Portuguese public willing to spend for my art.
Met a lot of cool people who liked my Drawings and were willing to pay for my work. Met a lot of Cool People that liked the same things that I like…Exchanged mails. Went to Portfolio Reviews got declined by some publisher and got interest by others… It was tiresome but it was a lot of Fun.
Hope this information helps.
:slap:

Rob Norton
12-11-2015, 01:46 PM
Hi Stewart!
Sorry for the late reply… My Comic Con experience was last Weekend (4,5 and 6 of December)… I have been busy before that preparing for the event and since then I have been busy trying to recover all the things I left undone because of the Convention.
My first participation at the Artist’s Alley of the Comic Con was positive… I didn’t make a lot of money but just enough to pay my costs attending the event. I took 10 different prints 4 colored all A3 High quality paper (300 gr) about 20 copies each print. BW prints sold pretty badly, the colored ones sold better than the BW.
What I sold the most was quick Sketches… Deadpool was a hit, Batman also… I couldn’t take my eyes off the paper the Commissions just kept coming. If I was a little faster maybe my profit would be greater… Learned a lot of things I hope I can implement on next year’s event. Like for example: Don’t take so many prints and do more pre Con Sketches. I now have a better understanding of how much is the Portuguese public willing to spend for my art.
Met a lot of cool people who liked my Drawings and were willing to pay for my work. Met a lot of Cool People that liked the same things that I like…Exchanged mails. Went to Portfolio Reviews got declined by some publisher and got interest by others… It was tiresome but it was a lot of Fun.
Hope this information helps.
:slap:

I had the same conclusions..:less prints but more premade original art

Stewart Vernon
12-11-2015, 06:07 PM
Thanks, nams... I completely forgot when I came back to your thread here that you wouldn't have had your con appearance yet when I asked how it went!

Good info from you there... and frankly, with budget concerns of my own... I have been concluding more original art might be the best plan for me as well.

I have some good candidates for prints, but I'm not sure what will sell, and money is tight... so my initial thought is to bring sample copies of prints I think might sell just to have as a portfolio and use that to gauge interest for where to invest money into prints. Hopefully get some contact info and such for the next show...

Meanwhile, I'm planning on bringing original art that I already have done...and am trying to come up with some special things to draw just for this show. That's well within the budget because I already own supplies to make original art :)

After the show (still a couple of weeks away) I plan on blogging about it and I'll follow up here too.

Stewart Vernon
12-26-2015, 04:51 AM
Almost time... I couldn't afford to get any prints made for this show... so I'm doing what I can do draw up some things in advance of the show. I may be able to draw some at the show itself.

I've been doing art-cards... I can do those pretty well, and they are something I can have a lot of in a small space. Before I leave, I'm going to scan them all in in case I sell them... and I'll post them all in my art thread this weekend.

So... how do you guys decide what to price your stuff at? I know the big names can often name their price. There will be two other invited guests at the show but I'd like to have a mental picture before I go so I'm prepared with signs.

I've heard it can be poor etiquette to undercut other artists... so even if I was willing to accept less, I might need to price according to my fellow guests and offer deals for people who want to buy more things.

I won't have any prints... but IF I did... it looks like I can get 4-color prints of 8x10 or so for around $2-$2.50 in quantity or lower so depending on the content of the print I was thinking $10-$20 for those probably at the next show. Just thinking ahead.

For this show, what I will have... some original art I have done for my blog over this past year. Some stuff I've posted here in my art thread, basically stuff I've hand-drawn so I can sell it as original art. Again, degree of difficulty is a factor but any ideas on a typical 7x10 or so original sketch vs sketch/inked vs inked/color?

Last, and not least... I've been doing some 2.5x3.5 art cards. All of them are color. Some are more complicated than others. Mostly head or head/shoulders for characters, a couple of scenes (no characters), and a couple of BB-8 just because Star Wars! The art cards have been taking me close to 30 minutes to do each one, some a little less some a little more. When I post them in my art thread you'll get an idea of how complicated and varied they are.

I was thinking maybe $10 for the art cards... but I wasn't sure. I don't feel like that is asking too much because of the time I'm putting into them. I was also wondering if I should just price all the cards the same OR if it matters content.

Right now, without posting the images yet... I have 12 cards ready to go. The breakdown so far is:

(2) BB-8
Harley Quinn
Joker
Two-Face
Batman
Cityscape w/ Bat-signal
(2) Deadpool
Spider-signal on wall
Venom
Green Goblin

The Batman one is the simplest one. All the others have a lot of work in them.

Rob Norton
12-26-2015, 02:39 PM
I think I have mentioned this, but when I did my first CON a few months ago, original art was definitely a big hit, as long as (in my opinion) its of things that the general public will want. so I think you are on the right page there.

I basically was asking $30 for original art and people bought it.

as far as prints, I was selling full size 11x17 full color prints for $10, which was on the cheaper end, but at a cost of 2.50 per for me, it wasn't a bad profit made. I got mine done at Fed-ex on card stock paper. comes out pretty well. id suggest that if you can afford , at least a FEW prints, it might be worth it. 4 or 5 of your best ones.

my next con is in March and I cant wait.

Stewart Vernon
12-26-2015, 06:21 PM
I just posted most of the sketch cards I will be bringing tomorrow in my art thread (starting here (http://digitalwebbing.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1854562&postcount=107))... Go to my full art thread for all of them, the link there is just for the first of the sketch card posts.

I still have a few more things to prepare before trying to get some good sleep for the show tomorrow.

Stewart Vernon
12-28-2015, 01:14 AM
So... I did end up taking some prints after all. It was pretty active for a small show, but there didn't seem to be a lot of spending going on. I overheard more than one dealer asking others "how's it going" and seeing glum looks on their faces.

I had a decent amount of traffic at my table, and did have people looking through my prints and sketch cards. I was also talking to everyone that I could, passing out freebie character cards for my 'Sects comic strip and blog, and drawing a few more things at the table.

I was seated next to two other guests, and while I am certainly not privvy to their details, when I was paying attention it didn't seem like they were heavily trafficked with buying customers either. Perhaps I missed some, and I would certainly expect those other two guys to sell more than I would because they are better known than I am. So, no jealousy in play here... just observing that it looked like a general down convention for spending all around.

I literally sold one thing... a print, so that was good. In that sense it was a let-down, as I would have liked to make some money. But, I talked to more people and had more people talking to me and taking my freebies than last year... so I'm going to be watching to see if I get any traffic bumps at the blog or my Facebook page.

I drew a few more sketch cards and a 7x10 head/bust while I was there. I'll be posting those in my Art Dump thread shortly.

All-in-all, it was fun anyway... my hope is that being more visible over time will increase business as people come to expect to see me around and know some of what I have + I can add some new stuff each time hopefully.