PDA

View Full Version : Feedback wanted

RonB
06-11-2015, 05:11 PM
I'm looking for a couple of people to take a look at the book i'm currently working on and give me their impressions and any advice on how to improve.

It's a sci-fi story with some superhero and cyberpunk elements. Currently on issue #2, but I'm trying to make it make sense without reading issue #1.

If you're interested let me know and I'll PM you a link to a PDF download.

Thanks,
Ron

Alyssa
06-11-2015, 09:29 PM
Currently on issue #2, but I'm trying to make it make sense without reading issue #1.

I can't offer to read your script as I don't have the time right now, but I do have a question.

Why are you trying to make issue #2 "make sense" without reading issue #1?

> If it's because you want every issue to be its own little "jumping on" point (i.e. a new mini-adventure for each issue, with an overarching subplot spanning the series), then that's fine.

> If it's because the first issue isn't completely critical to understanding the rest of the story, then your first issue is a prologue. And prologues are very, very hard to pull off correctly, so are best avoided unless you're a known name in the industry.

RonB
06-11-2015, 09:46 PM
Why are you trying to make issue #2 "make sense" without reading issue #1?

> If it's because you want every issue to be its own little "jumping on" point (i.e. a new mini-adventure for each issue, with an overarching subplot spanning the series), then that's fine.

> If it's because the first issue isn't completely critical to understanding the rest of the story, then your first issue is a prologue. And prologues are very, very hard to pull off correctly, so are best avoided unless you're a known name in the industry.

I have to admit that it's a really terrible reason, but it's because I rushed to get the first issue completed and it turned out terribly. The writing stinks, the art is very inconsistent and I would really like to just redo all of it, but don't have the time. And it's already available on comixology which is where the second issue will also be hosted.

So, as awful as that sounds, I'm trying to get new readers to start with the second issue and I'll replace the first issue at some point in the future.

Alyssa
06-11-2015, 10:03 PM
I have to admit that it's a really terrible reason, but it's because I rushed to get the first issue completed and it turned out terribly. The writing stinks, the art is very inconsistent and I would really like to just redo all of it, but don't have the time. And it's already available on comixology which is where the second issue will also be hosted.

So, as awful as that sounds, I'm trying to get new readers to start with the second issue and I'll replace the first issue at some point in the future.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Lol! Don't tell me THAT. You're right, that is terrible. :p

The obvious entry for a series is issue #1, NOT issue #2. Do you really want the impression of that first issue to dictate the sales for the rest of the series?

Either cut your losses and write a new series, or go back and fix that first issue. If it's bad enough that you don't want readers to read it, then you need to get rid of it. You don't have time? Well, are you happy to waste time and money on future issues, only to have them not sell because of a crappy first impression?

RonB
06-11-2015, 10:57 PM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Lol! Don't tell me THAT. You're right, that is terrible. :p

The obvious entry for a series is issue #1, NOT issue #2. Do you really want the impression of that first issue to dictate the sales for the rest of the series?

Either cut your losses and write a new series, or go back and fix that first issue. If it's bad enough that you don't want readers to read it, then you need to get rid of it. You don't have time? Well, are you happy to waste time and money on future issues, only to have them not sell because of a crappy first impression?

OK. I agree with you and will now overcome my laziness and urge to get new issues out too quickly.

I'm going to re-work the first issue, merge it with the second and re-release it as a double-sized first issue.

Alyssa
06-12-2015, 04:02 AM
That sounds like a much better plan. Good luck with it, dude. :D