PDA

View Full Version : digital matte painting techniques.

Duane Korslund
06-11-2015, 01:28 PM
So...I've been very interested in learning some great painting techniques in photoshop in order to create some stunning realistic sci-fi matte style backgrounds.

The more Im researching, the more I'm finding that there's actually very little painting going on in these images.
Most of the tutorials teach using stock photos of landscapes or scenery and just cutting, pasting, masking, and blending, then add that one element that makes it unique..a gunship, a spacecraft, an alien, whatever.
I was hoping for some ideas on painting realistic textures, instead I find that they're actual textures from photos...
Is this really how its done?
Does anyone know of any tutorials where the final image was close to 100% from the mind and hand of the artist and not cut and pasted from stock photos.
I think back to old matte paintings of Star Wars, Flash Gordon, Star Trek and think "Surely this can be done digitally"
Just looking for some good painting techniques, not unimaginative cutting and pasting.

DaveyDouble
06-12-2015, 06:01 AM
You have to remember that Matte plates are a SFX trick used to either save on time or budget, in a similar vein to concept art. They're are fundamentally a shortcut, and as such anything that's going to make them quicker and more believable is going to become a go-to tool.

Their goal is not to create something from scratch but to create a scene, so compiling from multiple sources is going to be the stock in trade. But it's all just tools, and it takes just as much skill to put those tools to work and create something as it does to use the traditional route.

You need to be going after actual landscape artists for their tips and tricks if you want to be working from blank canvas.

Duane Korslund
06-12-2015, 09:39 AM
You have to remember that Matte plates are a SFX trick used to either save on time or budget, in a similar vein to concept art. They're are fundamentally a shortcut, and as such anything that's going to make them quicker and more believable is going to become a go-to tool.

Their goal is not to create something from scratch but to create a scene, so compiling from multiple sources is going to be the stock in trade. But it's all just tools, and it takes just as much skill to put those tools to work and create something as it does to use the traditional route.

You need to be going after actual landscape artists for their tips and tricks if you want to be working from blank canvas.

Yessir, that's what I need. I did some research after posting and figured out that matte painting artists arent where I was going with that.
lol.

Bishop
06-12-2015, 10:29 AM
Look up Feng Zhu on YouTube. He is pretty amazing.

ShanE
06-20-2015, 01:46 AM
also Google Craig Mullins, a premiere master for matte painting that works almost exclusively in photoshop WITH strokes. CG Talk also has good tuts