PDA

View Full Version : Printing press machines

DJ Keawekane
06-05-2015, 02:22 AM
Hey can somebody point me in the direction of what kinds of machines print comic books. Now I'm not talking a home model printer but the actual printing press machines.

I know that POD and offsets print from different types of machines. I would like to know more about those machines. What are they? How much do they cost?Probably leaning more towards the machines that do POD stuff?

Because of location I'm finding myself paying sometimes up to double the amount of my order just to get my stuff to my door. So shipping really kills it for me.

Stewart Vernon
06-05-2015, 04:48 AM
I couldn't tell you the exact costs... but keep in mind that the big companies like DC, Marvel, Image, Dark Horse don't own their own print-shops... they contract that work out... and they have a high-volume of printing to do every week.

Suffice to say, whatever the cost of a machine would be... it wouldn't likely make sense for you to own one.

DaveyDouble
06-05-2015, 06:29 AM
You have to remember though, that DC and Marvel don't own their own presses for some very complicated reasons, not just direct costs.

They have massive distribution hurdles that would be difficult to overcome with centralised printing, they have shareholders who want maximum return on stock holdings, fewer liability exposures, staffing costs, insurance and the like.

For many big companies, actual ownership if stuff is a hindrance rather than help.
They may not directly own and operate presses, but I'd be very, very surprised if parent companies didn't have some money in preferred operators across their markets.

A big printing press is not going to be feasible, but you could look into large scale digital printers.
Its all about economies of scale. If the desktop printers works out at 1p per page, but you have to trim 40% of the paper and lose it to waste to get the right size, it in your interest to find a printer that can do the same job at either lower price or print bigger, fitting more copies on each page, and trimming less to waste.

You've then got to industrialise your binding process as well.

Can you afford to do all that, either time or money wise?

The benefits of POD is that you don't have to ship it to you, you should be able to ship it where you need it to be and just pick it up or have it collected.

Shipping costs are the death of print as far as I'm concerned. Thats why I'll be sticking with PDF.

Scribbly
06-05-2015, 09:09 AM
If you still interested on buying a printer machine, or you can affort it, the companies working for big publishers are using Heidelberg printing machines.
Indie printers use the Canon imagepress printing machine.
Not counting the size/volume these machines may have you would need a big basement or store house for contain these machines.
Plus some gigantic containers for the paper roll that feed those machines.
Storage room for printed material, etc.

Steven Forbes
06-05-2015, 09:20 AM
I don't know about DC, but Marvel used to own their own presses back in the day.

Scribbly
06-05-2015, 09:36 AM
I don't know about DC, but Marvel used to own their own presses back in the day.

They use to have their own comics Distribution as well.
That may be before 1997 when Marvel comics went bankrupt.

http://www.eonline.com/news/33907/marvel-files-for-bankruptcy

B-McKinley
06-05-2015, 05:53 PM
It would cost you somewhere between a used car and a small house. Plus you would have to buy the supplies. You would have to learn how to use it and to maintain it. Those are full-time jobs and not the kind you learn over a weekend. And you still wouldn't have the machines needed for trimming, folding, binding. If your shipping is killing you buying the press is not your answer.

khperkins
06-05-2015, 08:54 PM
find a local printer, and get prices from them. They will probably be comparable to what you're paying whoever your paying now. You don't say where you've been getting them printed .

maverick
06-16-2015, 12:03 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offset_printing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_printing