PDA

View Full Version : Super Sentai/Power Rangers

fourth_world
06-03-2015, 11:21 PM
Anyone here watch Super Sentai or Power Rangers?

I loved Power Rangers as a kid up through my teens, but recently a friend suggested I watch some of the Japanese originals and I was completely blown away by the shows.

The current Power Rangers series "Dino Charge" is adapted from "Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger" which aired in 2013. This show was so much fun to watch. I could give different Sentai suggestions for days, but I wanted to see if there were any fellow Sentai fans!

Moonrider
06-07-2015, 11:00 AM
I do. Aaaaaand I'm pretty much it round here.

Earliest sentai show I ever watched was Goggle V. Kyoryuger is on the top of my favorite list. Other favorites include Kakuranger, Shinkenger, Megaranger, Turboranger, and of course Jetman.

I don't watch Power Rangers.

dannycruz
06-09-2015, 06:54 PM
i watch it for the villains...love those crazy weird character designs..

ponyrl
06-11-2015, 01:02 AM
Gokaiger, Shinkenger, Bokenger, were my favorites. Gekiranger was okay. I liked the villians more than the rangers. That Shark was on of the best things.

I'm more, or was, a Kamen Rider fan. Though after W, the show started to tank for me.

LOVE KM Black/Black RX! and the KM Ichigo.

I try to watch the earlier SS. NEVER would watch the US versions.

Yes, I am one of those. :)

Moonrider
06-11-2015, 06:00 AM
Hell yeah! There's three of us now!
:D

And I'm also more of a Kamen Rider fan. Kamen Rider Gaim was surprisingly very good for a series themed after fruits and street dancing. They even have a fruitcake as a Rider! :slap: (Okay not explicitly stated and the actor is married in real life and I probably shouldn't even use the word fruitcake ever). It started just as silly as you'd think at the beginning, but the stakes start rising at around the second arc and keep on rising until the climactic battle. The current Kamen Rider Drive have the same main writer as W but it's not nearly as exciting as Gaim.

ponyrl
06-13-2015, 04:56 AM
Felt like after W, it all went to heck. I started watching KM with Ryuki, which will always have a special place in my heart. :) gaim? Damn fruit motif killed it for me. Drive? Feels off somehow. Can't explain it. Ooo, he was better in the movies as a character than the series. We won't talk about the space school KM. couldn't watch three episodes.

Moonrider
06-13-2015, 01:09 PM
Oh I agree it kinda decline after W, though I think OOO was still decent enough.Wizard was where they hit rock bottom. I think they bounced back big time with Gaim. Seriously, just give it a chance. The first ten episodes of breakdancing silliness were a bit unbearable, but it's merely setup for the rest of the series. It's surprisingly gets pretty dark very fast. It was after all written by the guy behind Psycho-Pass, the so-called Gen 'Urobutcher' Urobutchi. I think it pretty much on par with Ryuki, with even the same Rider vs. Rider concept. The replacement show Kamen Rider Drive went back to the old lame formula, which wanes my interest.

ponyrl
06-13-2015, 01:48 PM
I forgot about Wizard, just because...Wizards?! :huh: yeah, moving on.

When I watched a few episodes of gaim, I found myself liking the human aspect, but then as soon as he henshin, BAM! Instantly lost interest.

I call it the Avenger first movie syndrome. I completely blank out on the movie, when iron man is not on screen. :D

Moonrider
06-14-2015, 10:37 PM
Haha yeah but as weird as it may sound, the fruit theme makes sense once the mystery started unraveling. And I actually like the Orange Arms. Avoid the movie specials though, those were not written by Urobutchi and it's basically standard Toei crossover movies (which means they're terrible).

ponyrl
06-26-2015, 01:40 AM
Hah!

The whole tree of life thing, meh. Kinda Norse mytho for a KR series.

Moonrider
06-26-2015, 03:41 AM
Well yeah, it's the kind of plot that is more prevalent in anime, which is not surprising given the portfolio of the lead writer, but I like it enough to accept its shortcomings considering how terrible Wizard and Fourze was.

I do think that the franchise is becoming less and less original with OOO having some Kuuga vibes, Wizard trying and failing at replicating the dark themes of Agito, and Gaim is essentially Ryuki with more dancing and less death. So every once in a while I switch to Super Sentai. They're repetitive, but they never really pretend to be something else other than a kids show/toy commercial and sometimes that's comfortable.

ponyrl
06-26-2015, 03:03 PM
What surprises me, not really, that there hasn't been a female KR as main character. Not just a secondarily.

I think it's time.

Moonrider
06-28-2015, 12:35 PM
Wishful thinking, but I don't see that changing anytime soon.

ponyrl
06-28-2015, 02:32 PM
I know. If they look at the profits they could reap, maybe they'd reconsider. Girls are heroic too and given the push for equality happening in Nippon, I'd say the timing is perfect.

Moonrider
06-29-2015, 01:01 AM
While I'm not saying that little girls won't buy Kamen Rider toys with a female main rider, I'm still not sure if little boys in Japan would buy them.

For now, we just have to console ourselves with how badass Kamen Rider Marika is and her long, beautiful ass kicking legs.

http://38.media.tumblr.com/d43facaeb41bd6fb8f015096582898b3/tumblr_n07bgiehWB1ql41ypo4_500.gif
http://33.media.tumblr.com/c78f0a8fb1609c2090199892a40b3a26/tumblr_n0t849FwGY1ql41ypo2_250.gifhttp://31.media.tumblr.com/4c6cd795ba06aa068258e371b0209163/tumblr_n0t849FwGY1ql41ypo3_250.gifhttp://24.media.tumblr.com/6a9bad6594be7f366171b8840d700eb9/tumblr_n0t849FwGY1ql41ypo6_250.gif

ponyrl
06-30-2015, 03:37 AM
Maybe they could do a modern day Stronger, but the female drives instead?

Moonrider
06-30-2015, 04:34 AM
If aimed at adult audiences as a midnight tokusatsu series like Garo, it might work. As a main series, doubtful.

ponyrl
06-30-2015, 11:45 PM
Gots to get progressive in the KM series.

I do miss some things from the showa era. It was more adult.

Moonrider
07-01-2015, 01:19 AM
It felt that way with the Showa series, right? Although I recently watched an old episode of Kamen Rider Black where Gorgom's main plan was simply to steal and hoard all of the tuna in Japan because it can be used to make an elixir that grants their monsters rapid healing and renewed vigor. Kind of silly and just seems likely to have been written to promote the fishing industry as well as encouraging kids to eat more fish. So... Not as adult as it may have seemed.

ponyrl
07-04-2015, 04:53 PM
True, but go further back to ichigo, other than the shonen rider club which still dealt with danger, the Showa was more by comparison. Black had episodes here and there, but was pretty mature. I mean, look how Black started. He lost everything, and how did it end, he's forced to leave to keep his remaining friends alive.

I know gaim dies, I think?

Moonrider
07-05-2015, 12:02 PM
Gaim have plenty of character deaths, not to mention a plot revelation that all the non-boss monsters he ever killed were mostly innocent people that got turned into monsters from eating the devil fruits. He unwittingly killed his best friend that way in episode 1, and only learned about it halfway through the series.

Showa Riders were straight up Shotaro Ishinomori creations, and his style was pretty close to Tezuka and Go Nagai, whom he shared a studio with. Which means that he juggled horror and adult/controversial themes with silly oddball humor to varying success. I mean, this is the same guy who made a sentai show about voice artists with masks, starring actual voice artists.

ponyrl
07-07-2015, 12:53 AM
Damn. Gaim sounds grim, too bad about that darn fruit theme!

Every time that orange came down on his head, eww. and the Norse theme, just killed it.
Though it may have been better than having Kamen Rider Coin-op! :D (OOO's) lol or space camp rider, GOOOO.

Though, OOO's as a character in the movies was MUCH better than the series, which is strange.

Funny thing about the SS. I never got into it until Gokaiger.

Moonrider
07-07-2015, 03:03 AM
Yeah as I said, the fruit theme grows on you. I even tolerated the DJ Gun (a tanegashima styled gun with a turntable on it! It's as weird and impractical and awesome as it sounds!), and Gaim have the fugliest Kamen Rider final form to date. Well, second. You can't really defend Fourze's aesthetic choices.

Growing up with Super Sentai helps, but to be honest I tend to skip a lot of series when the female rangers are not very cute. Hence, my most favorite sentai series are Kyoryugers and Shinkengers. :P

ponyrl
07-07-2015, 03:43 AM
Yellow and pink in gokaiger were very cute. :)

And my fav Sentai, Boukenger. I can watch that show and never get tired of it. Love shinkenger also. Like that twist going towards the end.

Moonrider
07-07-2015, 12:13 PM
I never could watch Boukenger, not sure why. Zyurangers is by far my most favorite, can't get enough of the dancing. Amy is daaaamn fine lookin'.

ponyrl
07-07-2015, 01:48 PM
Zyu is one of the dinosaur themed Sentai, right?

Always found getting into the Dino SS kinda difficult.

Funny, I've come across many who had issue with boukenger. Never could understand why.

Oh, and what was the deal with Gosei? The angel sentais?

Dekaranger was entertaining.

I may be the only one, but, I LOVED akibarangers.

Moonrider
07-07-2015, 08:17 PM
Zyu is one of the dinosaur themed Sentai, right?

Always found getting into the Dino SS kinda difficult.

Funny, I've come across many who had issue with boukenger. Never could understand why.

Oh, and what was the deal with Gosei? The angel sentais?

Dekaranger was entertaining.

I may be the only one, but, I LOVED akibarangers.

Ah dammit. I meant KYORYUGERS! Zyurangers are the original Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers. Kyoryugers is that rare sentai show that made me feel compelled to watch every episode. All of the cast are quirky, likable people, with stand out sentai members ranging from a geriatric scientist who sprained his back into retirement before his cute and brainy granddaughter replaces him, an awkward time displaced slightly ambiguously gay samurai (his monster induced 'romantic' dream was meeting his old handsome clan lord!), an overweight white barbarian and a Wong Fei Hung analogue who both happened to be kind of dead, a highschool student, and even a 30 year old blue collar guy with a sister and niece to take care of in between monster fights. Even the villains were fun to watch.

I think Boukengers having multiple evil organizations is what made me lose interest. It feels all over the place.

Goseigers, ugh. The red ranger kid looks like a 15 year old with a lipstick on. Dekarangers, the one thing I really like is their theme song. Also Jasmine is cute.

ToQgers was.. unique. But I think it had a disappointing final arc.

Akibarangers were hilarious.

AnthonyHarris
07-07-2015, 09:13 PM
I still wanna do a Tokusatsu book someday, but I would have to get popular enough to take, like, two or three years to do it justice. You can't realize that kinda world without it being longform.

Moonrider
07-07-2015, 10:44 PM
If I would be so lucky to be able to work for Marvel, I thought about making a Ghost Rider incarnation with a tokusatsu twist. Or maybe an original character altogether as a creator owned project. Never got around to it though, because I'm a lazy sumbitch.

ponyrl
07-08-2015, 04:48 AM
I know dark horse did ultra man tiga back when. Really good book.

Moonrider
07-22-2015, 01:26 PM
Kamen Rider Ghost.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-G1IhQCbn4o8/Vafaq_pU0mI/AAAAAAAANDU/zEJ4Jd88DQY/s1600/tumblr_nrl6goozeS1tcbg78o2_500.jpg

ponyrl
07-22-2015, 04:26 PM
That's different. :huh:

Moonrider
07-22-2015, 11:21 PM
Blurry pics.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-6oNqVCO6aXk/Va_JZNcebWI/AAAAAAAANKE/GpqUrn1afdc/s1600/11169404_887225914665369_40179026730736975_n.jpg

I can dig it. I love hooded jackets.

ponyrl
07-23-2015, 01:38 AM
I'd have to hear the premise.

Moonrider
07-24-2015, 05:29 PM
Think Yokai Watch, with insect themes.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7D9wFOxsEjw/VbHq0iarU7I/AAAAAAAANMU/Jwzax7tag0U/s1600/11707473_1638517476432427_6290334613745086074_n.jp g

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-NqB2r7uDDok/VbHwKpY852I/AAAAAAAANMo/Ce74rsmkjMM/s1600/11709754_10153128893968983_8551352298837587621_n.j pg

ponyrl
07-25-2015, 01:29 AM
Pleeeaaaazzzzzee no battle dancing in this one! :man: One episode is cool, but not a core premise.

Moonrider
07-26-2015, 08:34 PM
Sooo likely that he can summon 'souls' (tamashii) of famous dead people and gain specialty power ups. Reminds me a lot of Shaman King.

http://www.jefusion.com/2015/07/kamen-rider-ghost-ghost-forms-revealed.html

Overall this looks pretty fun!

ponyrl
07-27-2015, 12:03 AM
He looks kinda, cosplayer-ish?

And him summon does sound like SK.

Has there been a KR that has only 3 powers anymore? I think the last KR that had only one form was Black (not RX).

BUT, I'm more willing to give it a go more than a Super Sentai because the Sentai have kinda jumped the shark after Gokaiger, IMO.

Moonrider
07-27-2015, 02:37 AM
Kyoryugers is good. Go check that out. ToQger, not so much.

ponyrl
07-27-2015, 02:49 PM
I'll give it a go. The Train Sentai, couldn't take the idea any further than what Den-o did.

fourth_world
08-08-2015, 11:50 PM
For some reason, I never received email notifications for this thread. I'm so glad to meet two other comic book people who love these fantastic franchises.

I really didn't care for Gaim. I kept waiting for things to make sense and by the end I was so frustrated that I just continued watching it out of spite. That ending, though...

As for my favorites? I LOVE Gokaiger and Kyoryuger (and even ToQger was a favorite of mine). I really want to watch all of Carranger since I just want to see the magical girl with her cat car, but it's hard to track down.

I've recently started watching Goggle V which is fantastic because of the rhythmic gymnastic finishing moves. There's not really a Sentai series that I actively dislike (except maybe Ninninger).

Kamen Rider is a different kind of love for me. My favorite Rider is easily Kisaragi AKA Fourze. A guy who's goal is to be best friends with everyone? It makes me tear up just thinking about it. Plus, high school club spin fit the series perfectly.

I liked the idea of Decade, but aside from the epic and somewhat frustrating ending the series fell flat for me. I like Kamen Rider Black and Kuuga, but I haven't finished those series. I really want to watch all of Ichigo, but the place I watch the series doesn't have the first episode subbed. I really need to watch more Stronger. I kind of love the classic Rider and Sentai series just for how fun and goofy they are.

I haven't really watched many Kamen Rider series that keep me interested past the first two episodes. W quickly lost me and a friend advised me away from it. I'm trying to watch OOO, but the plot is throwing me off. Wizard I think I got distracted halfway through the first episode. I started Drive, but it doesn't seem too exciting. I've tried watching Den-O multiple times and it's just not appealing to me. I don't know. I find Heisei era Kamen Rider harder to watch for some reason.

I'm actually working on a tokusatsu/sentai-inspired comic. I'm really excited about it and I actually finished the first script (good reviews from friends), but I realized that I'm still new and doing an epic 20+ issue series is probably a little out of my league right now. Besides, I'm still researching and finding new directions/inspirations in all sorts of team books. Can't wait to share more on that front though! :)

Moonrider
08-09-2015, 02:30 AM
I'm actually working on a tokusatsu/sentai-inspired comic. I'm really excited about it and I actually finished the first script (good reviews from friends), but I realized that I'm still new and doing an epic 20+ issue series is probably a little out of my league right now. Besides, I'm still researching and finding new directions/inspirations in all sorts of team books. Can't wait to share more on that front though! :)

Can't wait to see what you can share! :happy:

I like Kisaragi more as a teacher in his movie than as a high school student in the series. I couldn't watch the series past the first ten episodes. W is pretty good IMHO. At least the villains were not all cookie cutter characters.

ponyrl
08-11-2015, 03:35 AM
Your friend...warned you away from one of the best riders, ever! W was great! :man:

What was their beef? :huh: though I may be biased toward W because of the jazz and Philip Marlowe influence. Come on, Philip is one of the main characters! Lol :D

I LOVE ICHIGO. So much so, I watched the entire series, no subs. :) I still need to watch all the rest of the Showa era. Watched some X for a bit.

Moonrider
08-11-2015, 03:43 AM
Kamen Rider X has the best theme song ever.

ponyrl
08-12-2015, 03:59 PM
I'm partial to Ichigo and Black's theme songs. :)

Moonrider
08-13-2015, 09:16 AM
Understandable, and I have never even seen any Kamen Rider X episodes. But the song stuck because I used to have this audio tape full of tokusatsu and anime soundtrack when I was a little kid and X is in one of the songs. And this is before we own a VCR so I didn't even know which song is a soundtrack to what show. My first exposure to tokusatsu and Kamen Rider was from rented VCR tapes, by the way.

ponyrl
08-14-2015, 05:07 AM
http://www.orendsrange.com/2015/08/a-better-look-on-kamen-rider-ghost-as.html

:huh: kinda nervous. Those blue balls on his hands... :huh:

Moonrider
08-14-2015, 09:17 AM
http://www.orendsrange.com/2015/08/a-better-look-on-kamen-rider-ghost-as.html

:huh: kinda nervous. Those blue balls on his hands... :huh:

That hooded jacket tho.
Also if you noticed on his mask it looks like a silhouette of an apple. Newton, get it?

ponyrl
08-14-2015, 02:35 PM
Jobs.
:D: lol

ponyrl
08-31-2015, 02:57 PM
https://youtu.be/AODXLkzWpbQ

:huh:

*sigh*

Moonrider
08-31-2015, 08:54 PM
Haha yeah I just watched that clip. Probably doesn't reflect the actual quality of the series, but aside from the weird floating jackets and that WTF scene with the spaceship(?), I kind of like the designs.

ponyrl
09-01-2015, 07:50 PM
That belt design, looks like ass!

Man, I truly think the seminal series was W. Because everything after always had something that felt off to me.

It's making me miss Hibiki, and that series...:(

Moonrider
09-01-2015, 10:38 PM
Hibiki was full of problems from beginning to end, with a lot of rewrites and editorial changes. It should have been its own thing instead of being part of the Kamen Rider franchise.

On Ghost, I'm not liking the protagonist and he looks utterly uncharismatic. I just hope the second Rider is more to my liking.

ponyrl
09-02-2015, 02:10 PM
When the main guy lacks, that's bad.