PDA

View Full Version : Comicpress

TheDeeMan
05-27-2015, 06:47 PM
After years of hosting our comics on sites like Drunk Duck, etc, my partner and I are finally looking to start our own site. Everyone seems to be using comicpress. How do you go about it? What are the costs?

Dee

Steven Forbes
05-27-2015, 07:56 PM
Comicpress is a Wordpress plugin. It's pretty simple to use.

Register & host your domain, install Wordpress, install comicpress, you're done. Just upload your comics.

I've done it, and I'm stupid, so anyone can do it.

Good luck.

Oh, costs. Free. Just gotta pay your registration & hosting fees. It doesn't become something you pay more for unless you want paid themes or more functionality out of Wordpress. Even then, you get someone who's good at coding/css, you're still good.

TheDeeMan
05-27-2015, 11:31 PM
Thanks.

Dee

B-McKinley
05-28-2015, 05:28 PM
The Webcomics Hanbook (http://www.amazon.com/Webcomics-Handbook-Brad-Guigar/dp/0981520960/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432844655&sr=8-1&keywords=webcomics+handbook) by Brad Guigar has a very thorough step-by-step for setting up a site with Comicpress. Installing WordPress and Comicpress takes about 6 minutes if you have a website. But the book is great to have handy for lots of reasons beyond just installing Comicpress.

L Jamal
05-28-2015, 05:50 PM
Check out Grawlix which guigar is using for one of his newer strips
http://www.getgrawlix.com/

It's specifically for comics without the bloat of non-necessary features of WordPress/ComicPress. It's also a bit less likely to be hacked as it is way less used that WordPress.

B-McKinley
05-29-2015, 09:05 AM
That's an interesting project. I'll probably keep an eye on it.

TimR
05-31-2015, 06:01 PM
I'm interested in this question too. Is that Grawlix thing something I could add to my Blogger blog, or would it need a separate domain?

khperkins
06-01-2015, 08:03 AM
I'm interested in this question too. Is that Grawlix thing something I could add to my Blogger blog, or would it need a separate domain?
You would definitely need a separate domain, and your own webspace.

TimR
06-01-2015, 02:36 PM
Thanks. I'm not sure Grawlix is what I need. I don't really know what the options are for webcomics. I need like a tree of questions that leads one to the proper choice. Or at least the considerations involved. Would be cool if I could still keep it in one place (Blogger) but have a more bite-sized viewing format (which I guess webcomic readers prefer? I don't read webcomics.)

khperkins
06-01-2015, 07:47 PM
Blogger kind of sucks for web comics, but you could do it I suppose, other artists have. If you don't read webcomics, why do you want to make one?

TimR
06-02-2015, 03:26 PM
Just seems easier to find an audience online, where people can sample small amounts of work for free. Then if that works for anyone, maybe eventually it makes sense to release print versions...

Also.. as long as I'm posting stuff online, why not put it in the most accessible format.

Do you know of any cartoonists who use Blogger to good effect? So I can rip off whatever they do?