PDA

View Full Version : Digital Publishing question

ShanE
05-27-2015, 03:39 AM
I know formats switch often for digital publications, does 11 x 17 translate well to tablets and phones?

thanks
Shane

Stewart Vernon
05-27-2015, 04:42 AM
It depends on what you do with the space. If you draw a lot of small detail, then that will be lost when it is reduced to a smartphone size screen.

Sometimes individual panels still do fairly well if your audience reads them that way. You just have to be careful, and realize everything will be a lot smaller than what you are creating.

On the plus side, you should be able to get a good idea by making a copy of your file, grabbing everything and reducing it to approximately smartphone size and see what you get.

engcheedraws
05-27-2015, 05:42 AM
From my personal experience with Comixology, I think 11 x 17 still works for smart phone and tablets. With print, there is no doubt that details will be lost with reduced size.

However, with digital, I found the reverse to be true. Comixology uses a technology referred to as "guided view". In guided view, the tablet or smartphone screen displays panel by panel as the reader scrolls through to read the comic. In certain panel ratios, a small panel can be enlarged and fill the entire screen, allowing for all details or lack of details, to be seen. The reader can of course, choose to view the page without guided view and have the entire page on the screen. In that scenario, details don't matter but most readers often 'zoom in' on pages to get a better look at the art and thus, are able to see details.

My experience is that you need to pay attention to the amount of details you put in each panel. In most cases, I find myself needing to be more detailed with the art especially in vertical panels where the panel will be enlarged to fit the screen, but that is mostly because of the art style I employ. If your comic is more minimalistic in nature, then you shouldn't have to worry too much about details. Just be aware that with digital, readers can always zoom in on the art.

DaveyDouble
05-27-2015, 08:21 AM
Something like a Nexus 7 is about 1/3 the size of a regular comic book page at print size.
A Surface 1 or 2 is about 90% the size of a printed comic page.

Both have the same resolution, meaning the Nexus 7 will appear to have a finer, more detailed screen.

Physical size, for digital work, is an unhelpful benchmark. Resolution is the measure you should be using. If you work at 11x17 on Bristol, but only scan it around 1920x1080, each scanned pixel will match one on either screen. Zooming in any further will look blocky.

I work at 11x17 on digital originals, 300dpi and translating both resized and original dimensions to tablets and phones isn't really a problem. They're smaller physically, but all the screens on my phone and my tablets are all the same resolution.

Exported pages cropped to print dimensions fit quite nicely all told, with unobtrusive black bars top and bottom.

ShanE
05-27-2015, 06:25 PM
thanks guys really appreciate it !

vartemis
05-29-2015, 05:25 PM
11x17 isn't a standard size for art. 10x15 is. 10x15 art is done on 11x17 boards. If you draw your art at a ratio of 11x17, it will not conform to standard comic sizes, regardless of whether it is print or digital.

j