PDA

View Full Version : advice for first time at artist alley at a big comic con

Rob Norton
05-11-2015, 05:09 PM
so I live here in Salt Lake city, and we have a new Comic Con that's been going for 2 yrs now and they have been pulling in HUGE numbers in attendance, rivaling the biggest cons in the country.

so this coming September, I have purchased a table in Artist Alley for the first time and will be giving it a try.

im looking for general and/or specific advice for a first timer.. do this..or don't do this.. expect this... etc.. anything you can think of that would be beneficial for me would be greatly appreciated.

what I am doing for sure is presenting myself as an artist. "art of Rob Norton".
I will be shouting out the fact that I am doing the covers on the new Highlander comic and plan to have some kind of backdrop with the image on it.
I will have prints of a few pieces of work to sell. Also offer commissions of varying levels of complexity(sketches done right there, to full black and white finished work to be delivered later)

...so...what should I expect?

rob

L Jamal
05-11-2015, 06:34 PM
to get no response...
Sometimes no matter how talented, it takes awhile for people to notice you.
Make sure you have business cards to give away.

Bishop
05-11-2015, 09:09 PM
What Jamal said. Also expect to get asked for free sketches.

eDuke
05-11-2015, 11:20 PM
What Jamal said. Also expect to get asked for free sketches.

And tell them the sketches are free for $25.

Nah, you should be fine with a cool display banner and lots of art on the table. People love looking through art.
Good luck!
/e

dmh_3000
05-12-2015, 06:11 AM
Have colourful, dynamic prints of established characters to draw people's attention to you.

Magnus
05-12-2015, 10:04 AM
Read everything Jim Zub has on the subject:
http://www.jimzub.com/conventioneering-part-one-getting-ready/
(He's got two "tutorials" for conventions.)

Also check out some ComixTribe articles on the subject.
http://www.comixtribe.com/category/comix-counsel/

:M:

johnjohn
05-12-2015, 04:32 PM
Engage people and draw while you're there.

It's a lot cooler when you walk up to a table and the artist says hello, and has a sketch pad out with something in the works, than someone is sitting back from their table talkin to the artists around them.

You're more likely to take time to check out their work rather than give it a quick scan and move on.

Rob Norton
05-13-2015, 12:58 PM
hey, thanks for all the tips guys.. I really appreciate it.

I obviously kinda figure since im a nobody that I wont draw much attention. that's why I want to do what I can to at least look presentable.

I have walked thru that convention before and saw other "nobodies" with nothing but their name scribbled in marker on a piece of paper hanging on the backdrop behind them, and nothing but a sketchpad at the desk.

so stupid I think... have prints, have something pretty with your name. cause ya know where IM gonna stop? not at YOUR desk. sheesh...

nervous and excited.

AND...my pal IZIK BELL from DW right here will be joining me.. table buddies. so YEAH, that will be awesome.

rob

Stewart Vernon
05-13-2015, 03:22 PM
To be honest... speaking as a fan... I usually went to a con with some specific creators in mind to see... but after that, I tended to look for the creators with the shortest lines or who were new to me. Why? Because I liked getting the one-on-one time and I could have longer conversations with them.

So... the no-sign no-print guy was actually more likely to catch my eye, strangely enough, so I could see what he was doing and I could wish him well if I liked his stuff.