PDA

View Full Version : Your Dealings With Arcana

Deadfan
05-11-2015, 12:52 PM
Hello, everyone..

I am not here to throw stones or be unprofessional. But I was specifically wondering what your experience was working with Arcana Studios. I have worked with them on a number of projects, and while nice people, actually being paid seem to be another story. What has everyone's experience been like ?

On a side note, not talking about anyone or any company specifically. If a company doesn't fulfill their end of an agreement, does the rights to a property automatically return to you ?

maverick
05-11-2015, 01:07 PM
What was the nature of your agreement(s)? Work for hire? Royalty/profits?

Steven Forbes
05-11-2015, 01:53 PM
It's all in the contract.

Most people don't read their contract fully or understand it they way they should.

Remember: unless you wrote it, the contract is not fair to you. The standard contract is also a starting point. You can make changes. You don't have to accept it the way it is.

You also have the ultimate power of walking away if the other side won't negotiate.

L Jamal
05-11-2015, 06:36 PM
Very rarely do rights revert at all in the case of non-payment.
Unless you negotiated that, you can bet that they do not.

Deadfan
05-11-2015, 08:25 PM
it was a couple of creator owned properties that I wrote and created. And Steven, I appreciate the advice but I did read the agreement and this is why i am asking. I have not received accounting statements etc.. It was specified that I would, just an example.. Plus, I was just asking for people's experiences. I been doing this for quite a long time.

Steven Forbes
05-12-2015, 02:16 AM
And Steven, I appreciate the advice but I did read the agreement and this is why i am asking... I been doing this for quite a long time.

Most people don't read their contract fully or understand it they way they should.

'Nuff said.

Scribbly
05-12-2015, 08:38 AM
it was a couple of creator owned properties that I wrote and created. And Steven, I appreciate the advice but I did read the agreement and this is why i am asking. I have no received accounting statements etc.. It was specificed that I would, just an example.. Plus, I was just asking for people's experiences. I been doing this for quite a long time.

Maybe not too many sales for your books already?
They should send you that accounting statement anyway. IMHO. Only to show you how sales are going for good or bad.

Deadfan
05-12-2015, 11:25 AM
There are many other creators, at least three or four i have talked with that supposedly had books that didn't sell.... i think that is a pattern personally and it seems to lend itself to some of the aggressive accounting practices that many other companies did ( Darren Davis etc) I was just curious, thanks guys.

Deadfan
05-12-2015, 11:34 AM
'Nuff said.

you are an idiot and nowhere near as smart as you think yourself to be...

Stewart Vernon
05-12-2015, 03:51 PM
To be fair... this stuff should be in the contract. If you read the contract and it isn't specified, then that's a problem... a problem that should have been addressed before the contract was signed. It will be much harder to define after the fact, which is where you are now, if it isn't specifically addressed in the contract.

You say you read the contract... so is it specified there? If it isn't, then that unfortunately is going to muddy the waters.

Morganza
05-12-2015, 04:01 PM
If the contract does not favor either side for copyrights then you can sue them or at the very least send a cease and desist letter. I'm assuming your work printed under Arcana shows you are the owner of the work.

Scribbly
05-12-2015, 04:28 PM
I saw several authors changing from Arcana to other online publishers as Comixology.
But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe is Arcana selling through these sites.

Steven Forbes
05-12-2015, 11:25 PM
you are an idiot and nowhere near as smart as you think yourself to be...

You have a contract that you supposedly read and understood, and you've been doing this for a while...but you're on here asking something about the contract that you supposedly read and understood...

And I'm the idiot. :rolleyes:

Okay. I can live with that. :laugh:

Magnus
05-13-2015, 03:35 AM
Arcana has the rights to the property haven't they?

I know that the contracts they operated with a while back were atrocious at best.

:M:

HouseStark
05-13-2015, 01:32 PM
it was a couple of creator owned properties that I wrote and created. And Steven, I appreciate the advice but I did read the agreement and this is why i am asking. I have not received accounting statements etc.. It was specified that I would, just an example.. Plus, I was just asking for people's experiences. I been doing this for quite a long time.

I haven't had any experience with them, but I heard a lot of horror stories. If you're talking about creator owned projects, then which rights are you specifically referring to? Print rights?

maverick
05-14-2015, 02:25 PM
I have not received accounting statements etc..

Out of curiosity, have you asked for any?