PDA

View Full Version : gofundme for a future paid project

Darth-Schwartz
05-10-2015, 12:03 PM
I haven't used this account in years, but I would like to get back into comics again. Better late than never. Any help is much appreciated.

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this.:slap:

Http://www.gofundme.com/u5d8c2j

hellospaceboy
05-16-2015, 10:51 PM
I'm not sure about this being the right thread to post in, either...

That said, I checked out your page, and I can really relate to the sentiment behind it, hitting your early/mid thirties and trying to get back into creating.

But I did find the page a little confusing. I wanted to see if you have the script already written. Is it going to be a graphic novel, an ongoing series or a one-off? If you told me that you have a 100 page long script edited and ready to go, AND you need the funds to get a decent artist at X page rate, I would have probably supported it, but this felt very vauge to me. I wasn't sure what you need the funds for. Just to write? If yes, than the good news is that writing is really cheap and you can kinda do it for free, most computers come with at least a basic text notepad program, so you don't need financial backers to write.

Maybe I missed an extra page somewhere and didn't read the whole proposal?!

EDIT: Sorry, also meant to mention this on a side note, but maybe you don't want to get back into writing with an epic sci-fi story stretching hundreds of years. Maybe try something smaller, get a few page long script and find an artist to do it for something you can afford and test yourself first. Just an idea.

EDIT: Also, check your gofundme page for typos and spelling errors, as a writer it is your calling card and you want to make a good impression.

Hope I wasn't too hard on you, keep up the work and I can't wait to see your project.

Michael Ford
05-17-2015, 12:07 AM
I hate to tell you this, but I don't see how this will hit anywhere near its goal.

The biggest problem is the sales pitch. It is only one sentence long.
"My comic is a science fiction space opera, begining on earth in the near future, and ending on a distance planet hundreds of years later."
Not only is it extremely vague, but there is a spelling mistake with the word 'beginning'.

My advice, shelve the project and work on something smaller.

Try short stories that are about five pages long. There are a lot of artists who would draw and ink for a hundred dollars or less for every page, which is a lot more manageable than hiring someone for a huge project like the one you are trying to start.

If you do that, your writing will improve and you'll have some work under your belt, which can go a long way if you use it right.