PDA

View Full Version : Splitting Con Tables

dursin
05-06-2015, 01:55 PM
Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone has ever split an artist alley table at a major con with another creator (like, a completely different creator, not involved with your property in any way.) Someone has offered to sponsor me for my half if I could find someone to split the table with for Boston Comic-Con in August. Is there etiquette involved here? Is it even workable? Do you end up just cutting your sales in half because most people won't buy from both creators?

(And, while I'm at it; anyone going to Boston and want to split a table with me?)

Rob Norton
05-06-2015, 02:30 PM
im going to be doing the same thing in September.. splitting a table.

the way I see it...he sells his shit..i sell my shit..and to each their own. but im in a lucky position where this guy is a pal, not a total stranger, AND I will have my brother and another best friend at the table right next to us, so this will be a fun group setting, and we can share the power that one of us will have to rent from the convention center.

this is my first time, kinda nervous and excited at the same time..

rob

Stewart Vernon
05-06-2015, 03:35 PM
All things being equal, I don't see why this should be a problem. You each have a chair to sit in, half the table for your stuffs, and some space behind the table to hand a sign or put up a display or whatever.

Two scenarios where I could see this being a problem, though:

1. You both do the same kind of thing, i.e. both are doing space Dracula books, so it's easy for the average fan to think you're both doing the same book and that talking to one of you = talking to both of you.

2. The other guy (or gal) has better name/face recognition than you... has been around the con circuit already, or has developed a reputation more known than yours. It makes it easier to ignore you if more people are talking to him and crowding the table.

So... I would say your best bet to split a table would be with someone of the same relative "fame" as yourself AND doing something enough different from you that it is more obvious you two are not representing each other.

dmh_3000
05-07-2015, 09:05 AM
I did it for my first Supanova with Daniel Picciotto. Basically I signed up and paid for the table, then he sent me half the money. On the day we eyeballed how much was half of the space and he took his side while I took mine.

It helped me because he had these great looking Flash and Thor prints that got people's attention and then I could offer them a look at my original work.