PDA

View Full Version : First Time Inker

CAStudioz
04-18-2015, 04:22 AM
Batman Arkham City Pencils By Wil Woods Inks By Me https://scontent-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/t31.0-8/11121480_627049234106404_8231031865206339101_o.jpg

CAStudioz
04-18-2015, 04:24 AM
https://scontent-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/t31.0-8/11121480_627049234106404_8231031865206339101_o.jpg

VANDAL
04-18-2015, 01:06 PM
I will be crucified for my comment but here goes. This is NOT the way to ink in any way shape or form. The lines are shaky, lack any kind of purpose and are very very flat. Your first problem is that you are using the wrong tools. It appears that you used a marker of some type on these. Markers have no line variation and are flat and boring. I am guessing that you are young so you have time to work on these issues. Before you even bother trying to ink again get the right tools. A #2 round sable and a Hunt 102 Crowquill. The number two sable is expensive but a Hunt quill pen is very affordable and many professionals use almost all quill. Once you have the right tools, look up the art of true professional inkers to see where their lines are different than what you have presented here. There are also videos on YouTube put out by these professionals so you can get an idea of their techniques. I am not trying to dissuade you from being an artist. I am just saying that you need to work on your craft. Being even a halfway decent inker takes a LOT of work.

CAStudioz
04-19-2015, 05:34 AM
No don't worry no crucifixion from me. I'm not a young person actually i'm 33 but this picture was the first time i really put major work into inking. I have been in and out of art most of my life and decided i wanted to do it more now. As far as what I'm using its digital Photoshop with a Huion H-610 tablet. i by no means thought I would do great my first time out but i posted to get the feed back to get better and to learn all that i can inking is fun and makes me feel better about my art. so thank you for your input and any more input will be taken in and used.

L Jamal
04-19-2015, 10:53 AM
The tablet has 2048 level of pressure sensitivity, so why aren't you using them?
In Photoshop are your brushes pressure sensitive?
Start with calibrating the brushes to respond to how you ink.

This was inked digitally and although less detailed than the piece above there's a variation in the lines. The background in k lines have less weight that the foreground. Very few of the lines are single weight and they are fluid.

http://digitalwebbing.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5493&stc=1&d=1429451450

VANDAL
04-19-2015, 01:09 PM
I didn't want to be overly harsh but I needed to get your attention. I don't ink digitally so I can't really help you in that regard except to say that my daughter uses Manga Studio and it does give her good line variation. It's also VERY reasonably priced for how powerful it is. As for learning HOW to ink i would recommend looking up Danny Miki, Inkist (Scott Williams) on Deviantart, and Jonathan Glapion has quite a few good videos on Youtube. Really you should just find as many black and white inked pieces you can that are in decent resolution so you can see not only the quality of line, but the thought process behind them. Inking is not just scribbling over some lines, it's an incredibly intense thought process. It has taken me YEARS to get where I am and I still do not consider myself to be that great at it.

CAStudioz
04-19-2015, 08:44 PM
The tablet has 2048 level of pressure sensitivity, so why aren't you using them?
In Photoshop are your brushes pressure sensitive?
Start with calibrating the brushes to respond to how you ink.

This was inked digitally and although less detailed than the piece above there's a variation in the lines. The background in k lines have less weight that the foreground. Very few of the lines are single weight and they are fluid.

As for this yes the brushes i have are pressure sensitive. But im learning to get myself from the heavy hand of painting. It will take me time to get used to being light handed. Picture above looks great by the way did you draw it?

I didn't want to be overly harsh but I needed to get your attention. I don't ink digitally so I can't really help you in that regard except to say that my daughter uses Manga Studio and it does give her good line variation. It's also VERY reasonably priced for how powerful it is. As for learning HOW to ink i would recommend looking up Danny Miki, Inkist (Scott Williams) on Deviantart, and Jonathan Glapion has quite a few good videos on Youtube. Really you should just find as many black and white inked pieces you can that are in decent resolution so you can see not only the quality of line, but the thought process behind them. Inking is not just scribbling over some lines, it's an incredibly intense thought process. It has taken me YEARS to get where I am and I still do not consider myself to be that great at it.

This is a new art style for me and its also something i do know i need alot of work to get used to. Like i was saying up above this is the very first comic inking i have done. With pass drawings and past art styles i didnt need line wieght doesnt look good in true painting form. And i really do need to learn more just to please myself. Anyone that gives me advice i notice because im really getting into comic books and im board of the work i used to do.

Thank you guys for taking your time to tell and show me things to help me in my process.