PDA

View Full Version : Comics not aimed at teens

LukePierce
04-15-2015, 12:20 PM
After a fresh stint of playing shooting Carribbean pirates in the face with the most ridiculously oversized gun we can find, I find myself at a little bit of a crossroads.

I've taken to keeping a pad on me, whenever I get ideas for stories I can jot them down and save them for a later date. Mostly when it doesn't involve saving the world or other such nonsense.

However, one idea I went back to (and was inspired in part from shenanigans on the high seas) actually got me wondering: There used to be quite a sizable market for illustrated erotica (I'm being polite) and now it seems to have shrunk quite substantially.
I think that is possibly indicating that this is demonstrating the state of the industry as a given whole, or whether this is restricted more to what we'd call adult comics. I'm leaning more towards the latter.

I'm curious to actually know some other thoughts on this.

Newt
04-15-2015, 01:41 PM
What do you mean by "market"? The direct market?

Flip through Bud Plant's or Fantagraphics' catalogs and you'll see plenty of "illustrated erotica". And of course, there's tons of the stuff right here on the internet. I'm not privy to sales figures, but I don't share your impression that XXX comics are fading away.

L Jamal
04-15-2015, 05:21 PM
Patreon has become quite the money earner for sexually explicit comics.
Check out InCase or SlimyThief.

DaveyDouble
04-16-2015, 03:16 AM
Yeah, its mainly because its pretty difficult to get your stuff printed. And then the major digital platforms flat out won't put it out there.

So if you want to do it, set up a Patreon, or simply put your own digital PDFs out there.