PDA

View Full Version : DO NOT SUPPORT "iZOMBIE"!!!

TheDeeMan
03-27-2015, 06:39 PM
Guys, listen. Please don't support the new CW show "iZombie". The creator who "adapted" it actually stole it. He acquired the comic series "iZombie", gutted it completely, kept the title, and then stole the premise from author Diana Rowland's "I was a white trash zombie" (girl gets job at morgue and joins forces with medical examiner and police detective to solve crimes while coming to terms with her new "life" as a living zombie. Sound familiar?) book series top to bottom without paying her a dime.

This guy is a dick and his show (which I liked until I found all this out about it) doesn't deserve our support.

Dee

Jason Powell
03-28-2015, 12:13 AM
I do not know.

You may be right but the plot is not that different than the comic.

-------------------------------------

iZOMBIE (published in 2010) plot:

Gwen can pass for a regular girl, but she needs to eat a brain once a month to keep from losing her memories and intelligence. As a gravedigger she has plenty of access to recently deceased people; when she consumes their brains she "inherits" part of the deceased's thoughts.

I WAS A WHITE TRASH ZOMBIE (published in 2011) plot:

Angel Crawford is a loser

Living with her alcoholic deadbeat dad in the swamps of southern Louisiana, she's a high school dropout with a pill habit and a criminal record who's been fired from more crap jobs than she can count. Now on probation for a felony, it seems that Angel will never pull herself out of the downward spiral her life has taken.

That is, until the day she wakes up in the ER after overdosing on painkillers. Angel remembers being in an horrible car crash, but she doesn't have a mark on her. To add to the weirdness, she receives an anonymous letter telling her there's a job waiting for her at the parish morgue--and that it's an offer she doesn't dare refuse.

Before she knows it she's dealing with a huge crush on a certain hunky deputy and a brand new addiction: an overpowering craving for brains. Plus, her morgue is filling up with the victims of a serial killer who decapitates his prey--just when she's hungriest!

Angel's going to have to grow up fast if she wants to keep this job and stay in one piece. Because if she doesn't, she's dead meat.

Literally.

iZOMBIE TV SHOW plot:

While the series retains the lead character's ability to absorb memories and abilities through eating brains, her backstory is substantially changed. Liv (changed from Gwen) is an intern physician who is turned into a zombie after being scratched by one. The series picks up five months after the incident, with Liv now working as a morgue assistant, which provides her with a steady supply of brains that she must eat in order to retain her intelligence, with the side effect of her receiving flashes of memories from the dead (and absorbing their habits and abilities) which she uses to assist in solving crimes.

I mean I see what your saying but it may just be coincidence or Diana Rowland my have been inspired by iZOMBIE.

I do not know but both stories have similarities and differences to the TV show, so....

-Jason

TheDeeMan
03-28-2015, 12:28 PM
Coincidence? Dude, this guy ripped off "white trash zombie". Nothing about "iZombie" the comic is like the tv show and everything about the "white trash zombie" books is. The zombie chick wasn't working in a morgue and helping police solve crimes in the comic that's from the book. Fans of the "iZombie' comic must be disappointed because the comic they know is not this tv show.

Watch it if you want. I saw the first two episodes before I found out about all this other shit and it's a pretty good show. Better than Gotham. But if you do watch you'll be supporting a show that's ripping off a fellow artist. Today it's Diana Rowland, tomorrow it could be you.

My 2 cents and all it's worth.

Dee

Jason Powell
03-28-2015, 04:11 PM
I have seen the show and the only difference is her name and the fact she works at a morge instead of being a gravedigger. Those are not huge difference s. And since iZombie was published before I was a white Trash Zombie, it actually sounds more like the opposite is true. But since zombies are so popular you have to consider coincidence as a possibility.

-Jason

TheDeeMan
03-28-2015, 06:24 PM
I have seen the show and the only difference is her name and the fact she works at a morge instead of being a gravedigger. Those are not huge difference s. And since iZombie was published before I was a white Trash Zombie, it actually sounds more like the opposite is true. But since zombies are so popular you have to consider coincidence as a possibility.

-Jason

"iZombie" the tv series has NOTHING TO DO with the comic it's based on:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IZOMBIE

And everything to do with the book "I was a white trash zombie". "iZombie" the comic series IS NOT ABOUT solving crimes or anything. The ONLY THING the tv show has in common with the comic is that the zombie chick gets memories from the brains she eats. This is not coincidence it's a rip off plain and simple. Watch this review of "white trash zombie" with sideby-side comparison of "iZombie":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdiVzqfQxlg

Dee

Jason Powell
03-28-2015, 07:04 PM
"iZombie" the tv series has NOTHING TO DO with the comic it's based on:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IZOMBIE

And everything to do with the book "I was a white trash zombie". "iZombie" the comic series IS NOT ABOUT solving crimes or anything. The ONLY THING the tv show has in common with the comic is that the zombie chick gets memories from the brains she eats. This is not coincidence it's a rip off plain and simple. Watch this review of "white trash zombie" with sideby-side comparison of "iZombie":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdiVzqfQxlg

Dee

Okay, we are going in circles, I do not agree but everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, so truce.

-Jason

TheDeeMan
03-29-2015, 12:26 AM
Okay, we are going in circles, I do not agree but everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, so truce.

-Jason

No problem. I just read online that "White trash Zombie" writer Diana Rowland is going to sue them. So it'll be settled in court.

Dee

Moonrider
03-29-2015, 11:38 AM
Does downloading the tv series illegally count as not supporting?

Because... I mean, just asking.
Well okay then.

sevans
03-29-2015, 11:46 PM
I'll watch whatever I feel like.
I read a few issues of iZombie, and she was solving crime by using their memories.
too similar. Courts job. Will be tough since iZombie was published first.

TheDeeMan
03-30-2015, 11:38 PM
I'll watch whatever I feel like.
I read a few issues of iZombie, and she was solving crime by using their memories.
too similar. Courts job. Will be tough since iZombie was published first.

When did I TELL YOU not to watch iZombie? I asked folks not to support the show for said reasons and out of support for a fellow creator who may or may not be getting screwed over. You want to watch the show? Go right ahead.

Dee

sevans
03-30-2015, 11:42 PM
If I watch a show... I am supporting it.
That is the point of TV programs.

If I don't watch, I'm not supporting it.
If it is shit..... I won't be supporting it.

Steven Forbes
03-31-2015, 12:05 AM
Please don't make me close the thread over this. I'd hate to do it.

Thanks.

crognus
04-06-2015, 07:33 PM
But, Steven, random heated flame wars on forums are fun to read. I first started reading digital webbing due to some heated threads that were shut down in the past. Haha.

omega sentry
05-17-2015, 08:45 PM
When it comes to stories to be honest everything is inspired by similar inspirations that spin off close to similar stories, and characters.

Some times there is a friendly type of creation rip off going on as well....to which then names become TM but not similarities. You can't copy right an idea after all.

Example: the atom/ant-man or thanos/darkside, Armageddon, and deep impact.

Let the creators decide what action they should make. If indeed it is how you say, There will be a legal action at some point.

sevans
05-18-2015, 03:56 AM
Yeah, small changes can make huge differences in how things come across.

LastActionHero
05-29-2015, 10:57 AM
Let's see when the series is released.
If this is true, then I will not be supporting it.

LastActionHero
05-29-2015, 10:58 AM
If I watch a show... I am supporting it.
That is the point of TV programs.

If I don't watch, I'm not supporting it.
If it is shit..... I won't be supporting it.

True that.

sevans
05-29-2015, 06:05 PM
It was apparently on tv over here (new zealand).... and I didn't even see it once.
Not sure if it lasted more than a few episodes.

Jason Powell
05-30-2015, 12:48 AM
It was apparently on tv over here (new zealand).... and I didn't even see it once.
Not sure if it lasted more than a few episodes.

It is still going strong.

While I do not know, and I am not claiming to... I am sure Diana Rowland's lawyers told her she didn't have a shot in Hell with a lawsuit since they both are similar in vague ways and very different in others.

And once again iZOMBIE was published first so it is more likely Diana Rowland was inspired by it rather than vice versa.

I think some people want there to be more to it because people love controversy (evident since the thread is still going), but facts are there is no reason to not support the show if you like it.

Dian Rowland's creation is great and so is Chris Roberson and Michael Allred's creation.

I think this is all silly really.

-Jason Powell

sevans
05-30-2015, 11:43 PM
Yeah, having the other work published first part would definitely weaken her case.