PDA

View Full Version : I've been pirated...

Screwtape Jenkins
03-06-2015, 01:20 PM
So, Theodicy showed up on comixology (https://www.comixology.com/Theodicy-1/digital-comic/193542?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGl zdC9pdGVtU2xpZGVy) this past Wednesday. Hours later, it hit the torrents.

Now it's on dozens of the bigger comic viewing/downloading sites. (I didn't know there were so many until I googled "Theodicy comic free download." Please don't google that.)

Not really sure how I feel about the whole thing. On the one hand, it's free exposure. I'm giving away the book on my website anyway, so it's not really costing me any money.

On the other hand, the second issue will be available on comixology in a few weeks. If... who am I kidding... when it gets pirated, that will make it nearly impossible for me to make any money via direct sales.

On the other other hand, getting the book into as many hands as possible could only help with any future kickstarters or patreons. If piracy accomplishes that, is it such a bad thing?

I don't know how to feel about this. Tell me how to feel about this.

Duane Korslund
03-06-2015, 01:28 PM
feel proud...being pirated and having a wikipedia are the benchmarks of success nowadays! :)

Screwtape Jenkins
03-06-2015, 01:44 PM
I guess that's one way to look at it.

It is fascinating to see how fast this stuff spreads, though. I just found the book on a Russian comics-only torrent site.

Robert_S
03-06-2015, 02:12 PM
I think your best bet would be to hold off on a digital medium for about a year after release of the print copy.

Your name in out there now. You're gaining an audience. That should help to push print sales.

Morganza
03-06-2015, 02:14 PM
You should make a torrent version of your comic yourself and direct people to buy your comic if they liked it, that's going to be my plan, it will also reach millions of people for a long time across the world.

Robert_S
03-06-2015, 02:17 PM
You should make a torrent version of your comic yourself and direct people to buy your comic if they liked it, that's going to be my plan, it will also reach millions of people for a long time across the world.

What's a torrent version? Is it a 1/2 copy?

Morganza
03-06-2015, 02:25 PM
What's a torrent version? Is it a 1/2 copy?

Low res 72dpi - maybe black and white - and enough of the story to get someones interest. Instead of selling it on comixology you could ask for donations to keep making your comic.

I plan on making my whole comic available in full color on torrent and in different languages if I can manage it, then link them to my page to buy a hard copy or donate to help fund more comics.

Screwtape Jenkins
03-06-2015, 03:00 PM
I think your best bet would be to hold off on a digital medium for about a year after release of the print copy.

Not really feasible, given print costs. Comixology can get digital copies of my book all over the world at no cost to me. I can barely afford to supply my local comic book shops with print copies of the book.

Besides, it's just as easy to pirate a print copy.

Screwtape Jenkins
03-06-2015, 03:05 PM
I think it's too late to do a low res torrent, given the hi res torrent has already hit the streets. And I'm not pulling the book from comixology after all the work I had to put into getting them to publish it.

This just reinforces for me that the only way to make money on independent comics is via kickstarter.

Not that I was going to make much on comixology anyway. I'd have to outsell Batman just to break even with the amount I'm paid per comic at the price point I set.

Schuyler
03-06-2015, 03:14 PM
I thought about this one a lot.

I am a musician. Back when I used to try and write songs and make albums, piracy was a huge concern.

Except, you can get famous because people are getting your stuff for free.

If you make it so no one can ever get your stuff for free, then none of those pirates will ever see your work. It's sad, but that's how I see it.

I think comixology is a good thing. I only use it to preview stuff, so for me personally you are more likely to make a hard book sale, if I can read a preview for free, on the digital side.

I am sorry this is happening to you, but it is a compliment. It means that people want your stuff. The pirates don't like to pay for things, but they will give it away to all their friends, if they like it. Some of those friends might have a different moral code, and feel like they owe you a purchase. Now they have two of your books, and they're hooked. They got to buy the third.

How did it happen? It was just people using Comixology to pirate the digital images?

Screwtape Jenkins
03-06-2015, 03:53 PM
I'm assuming it was from comixology. I've seen all the other comixology submit books released Wednesday on all the same sites. I guess somebody buys all of them every week and uploads them.

The book's been free on my site for nearly a year and it didn't hit the torrents until Wednesday.

I'm not a saint when it comes to piracy, so I don't really have a right to judge people about it. And again, the first book is officially free, so anybody reading the first book isn't really taking anything from me. It's just the second book I'm worried about.

Also, even though I'm not making any money even through legit digital sales, it's still a way to count how many people are reading the book. The people who take the book for free never leave comments, they never like the book on facebook. I have no way of knowing they exist, no way of connecting with them. I have seen an influx in traffic to the website, but people just go to the front page, look around, and disappear.

Schuyler
03-06-2015, 03:58 PM
Also, even though I'm not making any money even through legit digital sales, it's still a way to count how many people are reading the book. The people who take the book for free never leave comments, they never like the book on facebook. I have no way of knowing they exist, no way of connecting with them. I have seen an influx in traffic to the website, but people just go to the front page, look around, and disappear.

You make a good point.

I went to your website and read the preview of issue one. I will buy a hard copy of issue one. It looks like a good book. So, I am one of the people that has caused the influx. Haha!

Screwtape Jenkins
03-06-2015, 04:04 PM
You make a good point.

I went to your website and read the preview of issue one. I will buy a hard copy of issue one. It looks like a good book. So, I am one of the people that has caused the influx. Haha!

Thanks, Schuyler! Hope you like it!

Stewart Vernon
03-06-2015, 05:16 PM
When things show up on a pirate site so quickly after (or sometimes even before) release... it usually points to a leak.

There are some pirates who buy just to pirate so they can say "this comes from me, thank me for giving you this" but there is also a history of leaks at manufacturing and distribution hubs where someone gets the "proof" or "golden master" and it shows up before it hits the shelves.

I've seen this in a lot of industries where pirating is a problem.

If it was just coming from people who buy and share, it wouldn't spread as fast... but when someone has an inside source there's not a whole lot you can do to stop it.

If you're giving it away on your Web site anyway, then to some extent you can embrace it and believe that your comic is getting out there... and maybe some of those will become fans and purchase it proper from you later.

I'm not at that stage with anything. I'm giving everything away right now on my blog... but I have thoughts of one day producing something as a collection and selling that perhaps through Comixology. I would hope it sells if/when I do that... but I also recognize that if people like it, it might get pirated as well.

Schuyler
03-06-2015, 05:22 PM
Thanks, Schuyler! Hope you like it!

I ordered issue one and two! I love me some physical comic books!

Screwtape Jenkins
03-06-2015, 05:57 PM
You've bought more of my books than my parents have.

Really appreciate it, Schuyler. And appreciate the facebook like.

Schuyler
03-06-2015, 06:29 PM
I will take my copies to the local comic book shop for them to read as well. If you don't mind, that is.

Screwtape Jenkins
03-06-2015, 07:14 PM
Don't mind one bit! Please do!

russbrett
03-06-2015, 09:38 PM
I can't speak for all piracy, but it's been my experience that most people pirate what they weren't going to spend money on anyway.

So, if anything, it gets your book in front of people who weren't willing to pay for it initially, but perhaps will be willing to plunk down some bucks if they find it worthy.

Just my thoughts.