PDA

View Full Version : Questions for folks with books on comixology

Screwtape Jenkins
03-06-2015, 01:25 AM
Is there a way to check the sales for your book on the site?

Also, can you rate a book on the site without buying it?

B-McKinley
03-06-2015, 10:39 AM
On the site it looks like the only time the "Your Rating" feature shows up is if you are logged in and own the book in question.

Screwtape Jenkins
03-06-2015, 01:23 PM
Looks that way to me as well. So, there's no way for me to get my friends to spam the rating without first convincing those cheap bastards to buy the book.

Curses.

Still can't figure out a way to see if the book is selling. IndyPlanet sends you an email after each sale. These comixology folks, not so much.

B-McKinley
03-06-2015, 03:30 PM
That reminds me. I still haven't filled out my W-9 for IndyPlanet. I guess I'm just not in that big of a hurry to collect less than $3 in profits.

dmh_3000
03-06-2015, 08:11 PM
That reminds me. I still haven't filled out my W-9 for IndyPlanet. I guess I'm just not in that big of a hurry to collect less than $3 in profits.

I know how you feel, most of the time they're only holding onto ten bucks for me, which goes when I print off some copies to sell at cons.

Another questions for comixology people: How long does it normally take? I submitted the first issues of each of my comics back in December but have yet to hear anything from them. On the progress page it's been saying 'In review' for a while now.

Screwtape Jenkins
03-06-2015, 08:58 PM
It took a few months for them to reply to my first submission (it was rejected). But when I resubmitted with the suggested changes (new lettering) it was accepted within a few hours.

My second issue only took about a week to be approved. I think once you're in the system, things go faster.

Stewart Vernon
03-07-2015, 12:04 AM
I have read some horror stories online about a long delay in getting submissions approved.

I don't have anything ready for them... I'm developing some stuff and also want to get myself "out there" a bit so that I have people looking for me when I do submit something.

That said... I have read some concerns where the big publishers get their books in there on release day, but the "Submit" line sometimes takes a while to get in there. My concern would be once you get your first issue up, could you depend on being able to get subsequent issues up on a monthly basis or would your fans be frustrated with delays between issues?

The plan for me would be to have several issues completed in advance anyway... but beyond that, if it took me a month to prepare a book that it then takes them 2 months to approve... I could end up being way ahead of them and my readers would be wondering why I can't do a monthly book on time.

James Taylor
03-07-2015, 01:49 PM
No they don't seem to have a way to check sales through the Submit area. They send out a spreadsheet quarterly on sales.

Takes 3-4 months for ComiXology submit. A few months to approve and then another month or two until it goes live. Their time is spent on the money making larger publishers.

Don't forget to put your books up on Amazon for Kindle too, that only takes a couple days if I remember right.

mlpeters
04-08-2015, 11:58 PM
I have my graphic novel, Crescent City Magick on ComiXology, but have no clue how it's doing there... I few people on facebook have told me they bought it there, but... Does anyone know how long before the first payment? It's quarterly, isn't it?

Stewart Vernon
04-09-2015, 12:50 AM
You have to meet a payment threshold too... before they pay. I assume eventually they pay even a small amount, but if you aren't reaching their threshold in sales you probably have to wait a long time before seeing anything.

superggraphics
04-09-2015, 03:28 PM
The biggest problem you'll face in waiting for a response to your submission is the quality of your PDF... If they have to run down the entire checklist of potential problems your wait will be that much longer... I build PDF'S for comixology submissions and the biggest problems I usually face is that the art files are not in the proper format and resolution and the same with lettering (and those are just the biggest ones)... If it doesn't look good at 300 magnification in Acrobat Reader it won't make the cut... As far as waiting time comixology gets hit with thousands of submissions on a daily basis so you need to be patient... Having a properly built PDF along with following all of their submission guidelines to the T will help speed along the process...

G

Ace Corona
04-09-2015, 04:05 PM
Where is the best place to sell a self made comic, ComiXology of IndyPlanet?