PDA

View Full Version : social media groups devoted solely to comics self-promotion?

Ria13
03-03-2015, 08:40 PM
I have seen groups like this for self-publishers on Facebook but can anyone tell me about any equivalent groups for comics? and I do not mean only Facebook, of course, but places like Reddit. (I looked on Reddit and found nothing.)

Alyssa
03-04-2015, 06:54 AM
Those groups are a waste of time, in my opinion. The only audience for those groups is other creators. And they're too busy self-promoting their own stuff to notice your stuff. These groups quickly degenerate into a spam-fest.

You're much better off being a regular face in various forums and relevant blogs (interacting with others, not spamming). The more people you interact with, the more opportunities magically appear. ;)

My (half asleep) 2 cents. Night!

Ria13
03-04-2015, 09:18 PM
I see your point. since you brought it up, I unsubscribed from a comics group on FB for that very reason. ("look at my '90's-looking self-published comic which would have looked dated even in the '90's!") still, you never know what good stuff can turn up. I had actually thought of what sort of rules to put in place, like don't promote yourself excessively, let others have their turn, that sort of thing.

posting on forums, etc., would make sense but I think that tracking them down might turn into a time-intensive chore. could you suggest any? Comic Book Resources I know about and I stopped by there last night, though I only lurked.

edited to add
I mean here:
http://community.comicbookresources.com/forumdisplay.php?23-Artist-amp-Writer-Showcase

Michael Ford
03-04-2015, 11:02 PM
In the short-term, I agree that self-publishing groups aren't that helpful.

But in the long-term, they could really lead to a lot of cool things. Just because everyone else is too busy to truly notice other people's works doesn't mean you can't appreciate it. You could find someone you think you would like to work with, you might find something cool that you would want to incorporate or try out in the future, or you might just find a comic you really enjoy. Plus, those places are good for connections.

But enough about that, you wanted to know which forums would be best to show yourself in. I could give you a list, but I think it would be more helpful if I just say 'Use the ones you already like'.

Chances are that your interests match those of the people from the same forums you already check out. They are probably going to be more responsive to your works. Responsiveness for your self-promotion is the most important thing, because it doesn't work over night or in just one week or even in a month. It takes a while. Keep working on your project while doing selective self-promotion. You'll get more results over time.

Ria13
03-05-2015, 02:08 PM
But enough about that, you wanted to know which forums would be best to show yourself in. I could give you a list, but I think it would be more helpful if I just say 'Use the ones you already like'.
ah, but you see, I don't frequent such forums, as a rule. so you might as well give me the list.

Ria13
03-05-2015, 02:11 PM
In the short-term, I agree that self-publishing groups aren't that helpful.
to clarify: I did not say self-publishing groups, specifically.

Alyssa
03-05-2015, 07:06 PM
posting on forums, etc., would make sense but I think that tracking them down might turn into a time-intensive chore. could you suggest any?

ah, but you see, I don't frequent such forums, as a rule. so you might as well give me the list.

I'm getting the sense that you might have the wrong attitude about things. If you see tracking down relevant forums as a "time-intensive chore", then you're definitely not going to have the patience to interact in a meaningful way with communities.

You've got two forums in your "list" already. Here, and the CBR forums. That's a great start! And if you actually spend time interacting with others (not just telling them about your own work), then two forums is probably all you can reasonably manage.

Ria13
03-06-2015, 02:14 PM
I'm getting the sense that you might have the wrong attitude about things. If you see tracking down relevant forums as a "time-intensive chore", then you're definitely not going to have the patience to interact in a meaningful way with communities.
well, I won't lie... I generally do not have a lot to say on these sort of forums.

Michael Ford
03-07-2015, 09:33 PM
You might just be finding the wrong kinds of forums. There are so many forums out there that it is mind boggling. Just go to google and type in something that you are interested in and put 'forum' right after it. Like if you picked 'comic book', just do 'comic book forum'. Then you can browse the results and see which ones seem interesting to you.

If you find the right places, it should feel natural and easy for you to add to the community discussions. Then any self-promotion will look much better on you.

mlpeters
04-09-2015, 12:05 AM
Those groups are a waste of time, in my opinion. The only audience for those groups is other creators. And they're too busy self-promoting their own stuff to notice your stuff. These groups quickly degenerate into a spam-fest.

You're much better off being a regular face in various forums and relevant blogs (interacting with others, not spamming). The more people you interact with, the more opportunities magically appear. ;)

My (half asleep) 2 cents. Night!

I think you have to do it all - - promote in social media groups... have a web presence and forum presence and actively try to get reviews. I don't know what works, but trying everything is more apt to work than "If you build it they will come" - - no they won't, if they barely know about it.

I don't know any relevant blogs, unless the review sites count.

You'd be surprised -- months of regularly plugging my book on facebook and every now and then someone who I'd think would have seen it ages ago, acts like they're just learning of my graphic novel - that's why it's good to try posting at different times of day - - catch different people.

mlpeters
04-09-2015, 12:07 AM
The biggest problem is promoting a comic or graphic novel is time consuming... when the goal is of course to have enough success to spend all your time writing and/or drawing the next one. There are only so many hours in the day.

Stewart Vernon
04-09-2015, 12:49 AM
I could certainly be doing more to promote my blog... but I don't want to be annoying about it. I try not to spam the forums I regularly frequent or bug the hell out of people... but sometimes I wonder if every once in a while I should bug the hell out of a few people :)

But, yeah... I get people who will regularly visit but not tell me anything. I figure they must like what I'm doing because they keep coming back, right? If they hated it, they'd stop visiting I assume.

It can be hard finding new audiences, though. I have not mastered that at all.