PDA

View Full Version : Chappie

Schuyler
02-22-2015, 12:50 PM
I saw this preview and I am kind of excited, actually. It is like Short Circuit with British gangsters and some ninja stars.

pG8mCC1ZQ1g

Bishop
02-22-2015, 03:33 PM
Yeah, I've been following this one since the first trailer hit. I like most of what Blomkamp does and am looking forward to this one as well. Should be interesting to see his take on the Alien franchise if that actually comes to pass.

Morganza
02-22-2015, 05:13 PM
I'm looking forward to this one too, I think this takes place in South Africa, not %100.

sevans
02-23-2015, 06:28 AM
Die Antwood are South African.

Schuyler
02-23-2015, 09:57 AM
Die Antwood are South African.

My apologies.

His name is Antwoord, not Antwood.

sevans
02-24-2015, 07:35 AM
No my Apologies.

I'm not a fan of his, but have seen a few clips etc.
Please excuse my spelling good sir.

Moonrider
03-01-2015, 09:21 PM
I just watched his original short film Tetra Vaal, which was the basis for this movie. Not as impressive as his later shorts and the CGI compositing was pretty rough, but the tone is pretty much the same.

http://youtu.be/VTnxP7e7-YA

Moonrider
03-07-2015, 10:42 AM
Can't seem to edit the original post.

I just watched his original short film Tetra Vaal, which was the basis for this movie. Not as impressive as his later shorts and the CGI compositing was pretty rough, but the tone is pretty much the same.

VTnxP7e7-YA

sevans
03-07-2015, 04:52 PM
They are playing a new trailer for this on TV in New Zealand, and the tone looks completely different. More action based.
Wonder which is more true to the actual tone.

Newt
03-16-2015, 08:05 PM
Saw it. Liked it. There are some definite similarities to other films - Short Circuit, Robocop, E.T. - but it has a flavor all its own. Ninja and Yolandi of Die Antwoord had much larger roles than I expected and acquitted themselves well (though they were pretty much playing their own "gangsta" personas, with the same names and everything).

Chappie himself is the best developed character in the film, with Ninja and Yolandi close behind; all the others are pretty flat. I'm not quite sure how I feel about that. I think many filmmakers (*cough*peterjackson*cough*) are overly-obsessed with giving every character an arc of self-discovery, a "journey", that often interferes with the actual story being told. On the other hand, flat characters are flat. I suppose it's a difficult balance to find.

A lot of the plot is preposterous. The characters' actions don't make sense except as setups for important plot points. But...it doesn't matter. At least to me. It still all works, on the strength of the tone and the acting. Also, the movie looks great. It hits the sweet spot of slick vs. rough.

Moonrider
03-29-2015, 11:43 AM
It was either this movie or Cinderella. And my wife hates violent movies.

sevans
03-29-2015, 11:43 PM
hahahaha CINDERELLA.
Good Choice!

Angel
04-22-2015, 05:23 AM
Die Antwoord really made this movie by contributing their fresh zef style.

LastActionHero
06-03-2015, 08:40 AM
I haven't seen this movie.
How is it? Looks good to me from the trailer.