PDA

View Full Version : Rob Liefeld Draws Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool

ponyrl
02-20-2015, 05:57 PM
http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2015/02/rob-liefeld-draws-deadpool-star-ryan-reynolds/

Just leaving that here.

You decide.

NatMatt
02-20-2015, 06:14 PM
Yeah, this outta ruin the whole thing: http://i.giphy.com/3rKFa372hw8V2v5gZO.gif

Morganza
02-20-2015, 06:17 PM
Holy shit, that looks great. Did he really draw it though? He is notorious for using other artists and putting his mark on their work. If this is all him then I am impressed, he's finally growing as an artist.

Morganza
02-20-2015, 06:19 PM
I wish he would trace more often.

Rob Norton
02-20-2015, 07:30 PM
I was all ready to give him props, until i saw that link. Now its nothing that any half way competent artist could do.

ferah11
02-20-2015, 07:38 PM
Looks pretty good, not a great likeness but is a decent work (this time).

Edit: oh I saw the gif...

http://i.giphy.com/3rKFa372hw8V2v5gZO.gif

Max Romaine
02-20-2015, 08:19 PM
I'm not impressed. It's kind of strange that he obviously used a photo reference and even traced the outline of the features, yet somehow it doesn't look like Reynolds much. I wouldn't have known who it was had the title not told me. As a sketch it's okay I suppose, but I expected better from an artist as well known as Liefeld.

DaveyDouble
02-21-2015, 05:17 AM
Ok guys, everybody pack up. We're done.

I don't want to be party to anything involving Rob Liefeld tracing a photo, and putting on his Facebook page like its an achievement.

Congrats Rob, you have officially the same artistic skill and nuance as a free iOS photo filter.

Ray Dillon
02-21-2015, 06:35 AM
Lots of artists trace. Drew Struzan, Tim Bradstreet, and many, many more. I'm not a fan of tracing, but Rob Liefeld shouldn't get crap for something Drew Struzan gets praised for. He gets too much crap in general.

I do, however, like his rendering style on this.

NatMatt
02-21-2015, 12:30 PM
Lots of artists trace. Drew Struzan, Tim Bradstreet, and many, many more. I'm not a fan of tracing, but Rob Liefeld shouldn't get crap for something Drew Struzan gets praised for. He gets too much crap in general.

I do, however, like his rendering style on this.

True, but to be fair, and correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Drew Struzan trace from photos he took? Cause if he did, that's much more acceptable than tracing from a photo you ripped off the internet (and didn't acknowledge that you did).

Ray Dillon
02-21-2015, 01:58 PM
Doesn't make much difference to me, especially when I grewup thinking those types of artists were amazing at drawing people, when really they're tracing a photo and good at rendering that tracing. And most people don't realize that either. Taking their own photo is only slightly better because it doesn't infringe on a photographers copyright, but it still isn't drawing.

Scribbly
02-21-2015, 02:19 PM
No bad for a traced photo. The pencil's rendering is very good.
I'm just missing some big boobs in this picture. :(

Morganza
02-21-2015, 04:04 PM
Taking their own photo is only slightly better because it doesn't infringe on a photographers copyright, but it still isn't drawing.

Sure it is, the Liefeld pic is a perfect example of that, it may be traced to a degree but it's undeniably Liefeld. It's artistic interpretation, and that takes skill and imagination. This is where someones "Style" shines.

HouseStark
02-21-2015, 04:18 PM
No feet! But on a serious note, To Ray's point, there's a few famous artists who do this and are employed by the big boys. I think it really really easy to tell. Their work looks way too photorealistic.

I personally love Tim Bradstreet's work. I don't care if he traces. Do the guys who draw freehand have more talent? I think so. But at the end of the day, as far as comics are concerned, I just want to look at something cool and well rendered.

Having said that, infringing on one's copyright is not cool for a professional artist and creates legal exposure for them and their employer. Bad all around and stupid.

Ray Dillon
02-21-2015, 04:19 PM
Sure it is, the Liefeld pic is a perfect example of that, it may be traced to a degree but it's undeniably Liefeld. It's artistic interpretation, and that takes skill and imagination. This is where someones "Style" shines.

It's like a coloring book / comic book coloring. Give me a coloring book and I'll make it look great with coloring and rendering.

I didn't say it isn't art, I said it isn't drawing.

Ray Dillon
02-21-2015, 04:24 PM
No feet! But on a serious note, To Ray's point, there's a few famous artists who do this and are employed by the big boys. I think it really really easy to tell. Their work looks way too photorealistic.

I personally love Tim Bradstreet's work. I don't care if he traces. Do the guys who draw freehand have more talent? I think so. But at the end of the day, as far as comics are concerned, I just want to look at something cool and well rendered.

Having said that, infringing on one's copyright is not cool for a professional artist and creates legal exposure for them and their employer. Bad all around and stupid.

Struzan's posters and Bradstreet's Vampire the Masquerade pieces were some of my biggest inspirations as a kid. Still look great. Great compositions, great concepts, great mood, great rendering and style. NOT drawing. I was pretty sad to learn that, felt a bit lied to, but that doesn't change the influence and inspiration their images added to my development as an artist.

Justice41
02-21-2015, 05:24 PM
Struzan used provided pics for his drawings. Just watch that documentary they did of him a while back. He's drawing something and he has all the photos tacked up right on the canvas in a few scenes. The creativity comes in composition and use of medium. If it's realistic it's copied or traced. Period.

Justice41
02-21-2015, 05:26 PM
Don't justify your lack of artistic skills or upward mobility in the artistic market by bashing others. Just petty shit and doesn't help you garner any more skill or talent.

Scribbly
02-21-2015, 06:44 PM
Struzan's posters and Bradstreet's Vampire the Masquerade pieces were some of my biggest inspirations as a kid. Still look great. Great compositions, great concepts, great mood, great rendering and style. NOT drawing. I was pretty sad to learn that, felt a bit lied to, but that doesn't change the influence and inspiration their images added to my development as an artist.
Just give these same photos Struzan ever used to anyone else, included yourself, and you'll see the results are completely different.
Same thing with Rockwell or any other great illustrator working for advertisement.
You can not compare because the parameters are totally different of what is requested for comics or any other graphic media.
In his own media , movie posters, Struzan is a genie.

Stewart Vernon
02-21-2015, 07:56 PM
To be fair... some have called inkers "tracers" too... I don't do that, but some have... and it has created more than one stir when brought up!

Meanwhile... If you have permission or the photo is in the public domain, it doesn't bother me in terms of "art" as long as I know you actually traced it vs using one of the computer photo-to-art filters they have these days. Some of those filters are so good that they will take you well past 75% of the work done for you!

BUT... I think it's fair for someone to ask why it isn't disclosed. It still takes some skill to trace from a photo and make it look right. It's still art.

As long as I know what it is, I'm fine with it. Where I am bothered is when someone traces stuff and tries to pretend like they did it all freehand.

dmh_3000
02-21-2015, 08:32 PM
He should probably start using the Tony Harris method of taking photos of people he knows and then tracing/referencing those.

The Liefeld kids could star as the new cast of Youngblood.

Ray Dillon
02-21-2015, 08:48 PM
DREW STRUZAN ON TRACING:

0fEMJp70tGU

Again, I'm not saying he isn't a master at composition and rendering from a tracing of a photo, he totally is. I said that up there, too. And his images are iconic. He puts a ton of work into the rendering and has his own unique style.

It is still art and looks great.

It's not drawing, though. He's tracing. That's just an accurate description of his process.

And unfortunately I think a lot of people, like I did, think he's drawing that way from scratch.

Rob Liefeld also did a great rendering his traced photo. The curving of his hatching to match the form is excellent.

Ray Dillon
02-21-2015, 08:48 PM
Don't justify your lack of artistic skills or upward mobility in the artistic market by bashing others. Just petty shit and doesn't help you garner any more skill or talent.

Who is this directed at?

NatMatt
02-21-2015, 09:20 PM
DREW STRUZAN ON TRACING:

0fEMJp70tGU

Again, I'm not saying he isn't a master at composition and rendering from a tracing of a photo, he totally is. I said that up there, too. And his images are iconic. He puts a ton of work into the rendering and has his own unique style.

It is still art and looks great.

It's not drawing, though. He's tracing. That's just an accurate description of his process.

And unfortunately I think a lot of people, like I did, think he's drawing that way from scratch.

Rob Liefeld also did a great rendering his traced photo. The curving of his hatching to match the form is excellent.

When Drew traced in that video, he said it was a "speed" thing and not because he was being lazy. Plus, he's only tracing an outline of the figures ands adding in the rendering afterwards.

Rob Norton
02-21-2015, 09:24 PM
obviously tracing is a touchy subject with people.

I think drew struzans work is amazing art through and through...

but I personally don't care for Bradstreets work at all. the main reason is that the final colored product just EXACTLY like a photo. like if I were to take any comic cover he has done recently, and hold it back and show it to my wife, all she would see is a photo. its so exact and too perfectly rendered..i cant help but wonder if he just traces a basic line art from the photo and they just layers it back on top of the original photo itself. not saying he does..no disrespect meant.
but damn..i mean..really..most times I cant tell a difference. with struzans I can.

this liefeld one, I am was disappointed to find out he traced it. its still better than anything I have ever seen him do in forever. but its BECAUSE he traced it.

personally, as far as professional work goes, if they took their own photos or have approved ones, if an artist traces, I don't care. I PREFER guys that don't. but that's their prerogative and im not one to judge.

and now I am going to go and trace my own version of this ryan Reynolds/liefeld drawing. because why not... we all should.. just to see the different version that come up.

rob

NatMatt
02-21-2015, 09:38 PM
and now I am going to go and trace my own version of this ryan Reynolds/liefeld drawing. because why not... we all should.. just to see the different version that come up.

That sounds like a great idea. I think I'll do that too.

Ray Dillon
02-21-2015, 09:40 PM
When Drew traced in that video, he said it was a "speed" thing and not because he was being lazy. Plus, he's only tracing an outline of the figures ands adding in the rendering afterwards.

I don't think anyone said lazy.

Speed is his reason and also his clients want his likenesses to be perfectly accurate. So that makes sense. having done similar projects I understand that.

Personally, however, I'd rather see charicatures than tracings. That's more interesting to me.

HouseStark
02-21-2015, 10:14 PM
Greg Land is another obvious one that comes to mind.

ferah11
02-22-2015, 12:10 AM
I thought you knew Struzan personally or something Ray, since you were saying the same thing over and over but I guess you were just talking about that documentary, well both his documentaries are pretty good, hopefully people are looking to see the whole thing and not just the "tracing clip".

In this forums the cycle of topics seems to go around really fast, here we are again talking about Liefeld and tracing or using references. Didn't we talk about it like 2 or 3 months ago? And the same arguments over and over, ugh.

I recommend for people to see Tim's Vermeer, is also pretty great, kinda controversial with some academics tho.

CS_HUWs9c8c

Justice41
02-22-2015, 12:18 AM
Who is this directed at?

anyone who responds to it. lol

Justice41
02-22-2015, 12:26 AM
After all these years people are still looking for stuff to shit on Liefeld about. Look to your own craft people. knocking Liefeld a peg down won't raise you up an iota. It's just keeps you where you're at. I laugh because after 1over 10 years on this site some who have bashed Liefeld haven't even gotten any better themselves. That splinter folks, tend to it.

Ray Dillon
02-22-2015, 12:30 AM
I thought you knew Struzan personally or something Ray, since you were saying the same thing over and over but I guess you were just talking about that documentary, well both his documentaries are pretty good, hopefully people are looking to see the whole thing and not just the "tracing clip".

In this forums the cycle of topics seems to go around really fast, here we are again talking about Liefeld and tracing or using references. Didn't we talk about it like 2 or 3 months ago? And the same arguments over and over, ugh.

I recommend for people to see Tim's Vermeer, is also pretty great, kinda controversial with some academics tho.

CS_HUWs9c8c

Depends on what you mean by "know." I met him a couple of times, talked art, worked on the same project, but not at th e same time. Not BFFs though. Really nice guy!!

I'll definitely watch that Doc you posted.

Ray Dillon
02-22-2015, 12:32 AM
After all these years people are still looking for stuff to shit on Liefeld about. Look to your own craft people. knocking Liefeld a peg down won't raise you up an iota. It's just keeps you where you're at. I laugh because after 1over 10 years on this site some who have bashed Liefeld haven't even gotten any better themselves. That splinter folks, tend to it.

Good. I was hoping you were talking about Liefeld bashing. Rob is a really nice guy and an accomplished influential artist. Hate to think he sees himself bashed all the time. His kids will see it to. Just not cool.

sevans
02-22-2015, 12:45 AM
I personally don't care how any artwork is created, just the quality.

Not a Liefeld fan, but if I don't like his artwork I don't attack him online.... I just don't buy his product.

ALOT of people must like him. He makes a living from it, and I just read comics.

jarrodulsh
02-22-2015, 02:54 AM
No one brought up wally wood

Scribbly
02-22-2015, 03:25 AM
No one brought up wally wood

Because we are mortals and don't suppose to be talking about Gods in here.

But we can buy books about his bio and artwork produced by IDW or Fantagraphics.

Again, to trace photos for people working in advertisement or illustration is OK as long you don't trace another's artist artwork
and you are using your own photos and models. Or assigned photo reference. As Struzan does.
In that media what count is the final result and effect of realism of the illustration.

For comics is different. In comics the thing is to hand draw by memory. Own style, narrative, etc.
The pioneer's in comics did use photo reference and own models to bring realism.
But for money reasons the standard is to draw from memory using photo only as reference.
WE may have exceptions as Alex Ross, but again, he is an illustrator rather than regular comics artist.

Back to this particular Liefeld's piece, it is OK. This tracing is OK, as long he has permission to do it.
As long he's not tracing other artist's artwork and swiping it as his own it is all OK.

About that Tim's Vermeer video. It only proves that Vermeer was a truly genius.
Creating in the 1600's (400 years ago, before the inception of photography) a system for reproduce the reality in a canvas
with incredible precision.
Using his own composition and models.
Using his own created tools and own created brushes and colors. Genius! What controversy could be about?

DaveyDouble
02-22-2015, 05:21 AM
Ray- His rendering is no different than the usual strokes he's using. If you get close enough to that image, you'll see all his familiar stroke patterns. The only thing that been altered is the tonal complexity of the underlying image he's copied.

Now, don't get me wrong, I trace. I take a jpeg, add a layer in Sketchbook, drop opacity and use it to rough out poses and anatomy. Ive done it in sequentials as well and it looked awful and jarring against the heavier toon stuff.
I still use it for pinups, and I change almost everything other than the actual composition. But that doesn't make me better than Liefeld.

Having the ability to draw something which resembles a human without using tracing is what makes me a more technically accomplished artist than Liefeld. Or, in short hand, better.

Steven Forbes
02-22-2015, 11:18 AM
Okay, folks.

Liefeld is a sore subjct amongst many. As long as we stay civil, I'm going to allow this to stay open. As soon as I even begin to suspect it's getting close to ugly, I'm going to shut it down.

Thanks for understanding.

Rob Norton
02-22-2015, 06:59 PM
well hell...heres my trace of the same image. scans always seem to lose some of the details...so I have also included a camera phone shot.. cause..why not...

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2015/053/a/c/tracing_like_liefeld_by_robnor-d8j4mk6.jpg

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2015/053/9/6/camera_shot____by_robnor-d8j4na7.jpg

Bishop
02-22-2015, 07:08 PM
I may take a crack at this later as well

Morganza
02-22-2015, 08:56 PM
I took the photo and turned into blue line and inked over it, I got lazy after I finished the face, still does not look like him.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-cWhfLfKFpnI/VOp57wXzI3I/AAAAAAAAHp8/wCoxpBJUmiY/s1600/ryaninks.jpg

Justice41
02-22-2015, 09:12 PM
one thing to keep in mind when printing out a photo, your monitor may show as accurate but your printer will usually squish the pic vertically so you'll get a pic that looks right but when traced will look elongated like the pics above. Liefelds trace is much closer. Best way to know if you are getting squished images is to add a circle to the pic before printing it then compare it after printing.

Stewart Vernon
02-23-2015, 12:07 AM
I felt inspired... so here's my take on this. I loaded the photograph and locked it to the canvas in Adobe Illustrator, then traced it by digital hand. I could have hooked up my tablet, but I didn't... this was all done with the mouse. Some of the lines (like for the sword-sheaths on his back) would be straighter if I meant for this to be a real/final drawing. I would normally clean that up when I was trying to more-properly shade and color.

I started coloring it a little because it looked better that way. I didn't work on the beard stubble at all. The color is mostly flat as well since I was just starting.

You should also know that while I have an excellent eye for what looks right and what does not... I'm generally crap at drawing people by reference. That's partly why I'm doing a comic strip that features insects and not people! :)

https://iesjv.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/ryan-reynolds-as-deadpool-wip.png

FYI, I also made a post on my blog about this very discussion this morning. I referred to the discussion here, but not the specifics of the Rob Liefeld part because I was more interested in the general topic of tracing beyond this particular instance. Here's a link to my blog post (https://iesjv.wordpress.com/2015/02/23/trace-the-final-frontier/) in case anyone is interested in seeing what I wrote there expanding upon what I've posted already in this thread...

Justice41
02-24-2015, 12:36 AM
Not easy to trace is it. lol. I have my own technique for copying pics that involves no tracing or even grids. But if followed always results in spot on likenesses.

NatMatt
02-24-2015, 01:22 AM

I'd hate to say it but what you said couldn't possibly be more relevant.

epul saepuloh
02-24-2015, 02:36 AM
is that really handmaker!?

well,i can do same exactly!but maybe not so good as it:har:

ferah11
02-24-2015, 02:39 AM
Wow, now I have a more relative respect for Liefelds work.

Stewart Vernon
02-24-2015, 02:41 AM
Not easy to trace is it. lol. I have my own technique for copying pics that involves no tracing or even grids. But if followed always results in spot on likenesses.

I wasn't really trying to make mine look completely realistic, since my style is closer to cartooning and I already fessed up to being bad at drawing people...

That said, as I was doing mine and then looking at the others... and thinking how could I make mine more realistic and accurate... I realize that it wasn't so much the line work that was the issue... it was more about the coloring and shading. I stopped before I got to coloring flesh, but I think some of the other/better drawings would look more accurate when properly colored and shaded than they do as black & white sketches/drawings.

You can do good/accurate renderings with just pencil or in shades of grey... but you really have to get in there with the shading to capture all the nuances, especially in faces. I think people often take for granted just how much shadow makes you look like you in real life.

Justice41
02-24-2015, 05:38 PM
Wasn't directly commenting on your attempt just an overall observation. People always think things are easy until they attempt it themselves.
I did these on sketch cards. anyone not familiar with em they are business card sized cards at 2.5"x3.5". My technique is to copy them as closely as possible and finish in color as you can see from the Rich face I had to freehand the entire thing on the fly.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/11016729_1024040864275995_639816264591681545_n.jpg ?oh=684d627e8fb0df75421bffbfc1516fdc&oe=55824D14&__gda__=1435105437_4980990a1f5e6d0549c2e103b26751f 7
https://scontent-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10488339_1024040894275992_3698640576764494760_n.jp g?oh=b8c41ad3a737aaa163b2c1f9b66ecea8&oe=55922178

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10383570_1017310691615679_178248749631241239_n.jpg ?oh=9eb4641e943f17b094fc9933b27a0d4b&oe=558CBC1B&__gda__=1435683185_d32384b0bf6f975c18749747ed46800 3https://scontent-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10505348_1017310641615684_4337076568414701227_n.jp g?oh=5d4a6d4b12a190b36c72622a0971a56f&oe=557E1C24

Stewart Vernon
02-24-2015, 06:01 PM
Michonne and Kennedy are pretty eerily accurate there!

I knew you weren't picking on me :) I had just forgotten to add my thoughts on color/shading and how that would improve things on a lot of the drawings.

Saul Haber
03-03-2015, 10:22 PM
So what's your technique, Justice? You mentioned it, but didn't share...

Justice41
03-04-2015, 12:40 PM
It's similar to using a grid except no grid. I use the face to create the face etc. Ok in the picture the ear will be here, if I draw a straight line across the face it will cross the nose, the distance between the ear and nose is my measuring tool for everything else. This technique will work only up to a manageable scale. The ref i use will have actual measurements but the drawing will have my scaled measurement. say from the beginning of the ear to the edge of the eye is 1 inch on the ref I can now use that to scale my drawing. so now my drawing the distance is 2 inches. Once established I use the ref measurements to dictate where everything is in measurement to each other and I mean everything. the nose length is 2" on the ref it's 4" on my drawing and how to find the distance of the angle is another measurement. It sounds complicated but it's all done very quickly.I just use right angles and straight lines from element to element with my scaled measurement to figure out where things are in distance from each other. I did an artcast demonstrating this but I just looked for a vid file and can't find it and it;s been deleted from the Ustream or Livestream page. I should do another one.

UniverseX259
03-04-2015, 01:37 PM
It's similar to using a grid except no grid. I use the face to create the face etc. Ok in the picture the ear will be here, if I draw a straight line across the face it will cross the nose, the distance between the ear and nose is my measuring tool for everything else. This technique will work only up to a manageable scale. The ref i use will have actual measurements but the drawing will have my scaled measurement. say from the beginning of the ear to the edge of the eye is 1 inch on the ref I can now use that to scale my drawing. so now my drawing the distance is 2 inches. Once established I use the ref measurements to dictate where everything is in measurement to each other and I mean everything. the nose length is 2" on the ref it's 4" on my drawing and how to find the distance of the angle is another measurement. It sounds complicated but it's all done very quickly.I just use right angles and straight lines from element to element with my scaled measurement to figure out where things are in distance from each other. I did an artcast demonstrating this but I just looked for a vid file and can't find it and it;s been deleted from the Ustream or Livestream page. I should do another one.

That sounds similar to techniques taught in figure drawing classes, both with live models and photographs. If it works for you then that's great, it's more work than tracing but has the potential to be more satisfying in the end.

I've personally had to trace a bunch of times in the past few months. I began getting commissioned to do album covers featuring likenesses of the artists. I initially started out trying to draw from a reference photo, but sure enough the likeness was always the most accurate when it was traced. The record label and the artists had no problem with this, they just wanted the work done and didn't care how it was completed. However, I still wanted my own personal style attached to the drawing, so I'd trace basic shapes and outlines of their heads and faces and then do the bulk of the drawing from reference, much like Drew Struzan did in that video. The end result doesn't look photorealistic, but it's close enough that you can tell it's the guy.

Justice41
03-04-2015, 04:16 PM
Nothing wrong with tracing real people if that's what is needed. don't know why people get defensive about it.
When I do my copying I start with a basic shape and placement of the face features then just adjust them as I go. It's like you always see people using their thumb in drawings to get proportions right. Biggest problem with tracing is what I mentioned above about the printer squishing the picture a bit so when you do trace and finish the drawing will look off because the eyes will be too close together and the head too narrow and lips too thin and all that. I'll have to sit down and do an artcast and record it while i use the technique. Too many deadlines right now to do it but next month or so.

ponyrl
03-05-2015, 01:47 AM
Sight-size technique taught by Charles Bargue teaches a version of what Just Ice does. I learned it while working from his drawing course.

http://www.amazon.com/Charles-Bargue-Jean-L%C3%A9on-G%C3%A9r%C3%B4me-Ackerman/dp/2867702038

Deals with contour and line placement to acurately place lines.

I stopped after awhile because I could "feel" myself becoming more a photocopy machine. I did learned to "see" with this book though.

:)

Bishop
03-10-2015, 11:15 PM
I know the conversation has moved on from this, but I finally had time to do my trace tonight. Wanted to share, as I thought it turned out pretty okay. Done in Manga Studio...

http://orig06.deviantart.net/08ed/f/2015/069/f/3/ryan_reynolds_trace_by_saul102-d8l8j0i.jpg

Rob Norton
03-11-2015, 12:50 AM
I wish more people joined in. Looks awesome to me sir

Bishop
03-11-2015, 08:24 AM
I wish more people joined in. Looks awesome to me sir

Thanks! I really enjoyed it. I needed something mindless to work on....

Justice41
03-11-2015, 03:07 PM
everyone including Liefeld screwed up the eyes. Just sitting and seeing if anyone noticed they drew different sized circles for the pupils which always makes a portrait type piece not look like the subject. Check those eyes. When I start a portrait I always draw the eye's first and if I screw those up time to erase and start again.

Bishop
03-11-2015, 03:43 PM
Yep, you're right. I didn't see it until you mentioned it. If I get a chance I may revisit it to correct that.

Stewart Vernon
03-11-2015, 04:33 PM
I actually noticed the eyes when I was drawing... but I forgot to fix it before I posted. I then noted that some of the others did the same thing so I stopped worrying about it.

IF I was going to work on the drawing further, I would definitely fix that.

It's one of those things I've mentioned before in other posts... about following a photograph too exactly results in a drawing that looks off.

Justice41
03-11-2015, 06:54 PM
If You've ever seen a professional photographer take pics on set they stand way way back. Actually to get a flattish nicely framed pic the photog has to be way back and have the right kind of zoom lens to get those perfect photo's you see in magazines. But sometimes what tends to happen is the spot they really focus on is not the most forward part of the person, thing. So you'll see this weird thing where the part of the thing face or body seems to be closer than what should be. Really hard to notice until you do a trace like this. Notice the focal point of Reynolds face is right dead center of his face. The nose and hair and lips and forehead is all crisp and sharp and the right and left sides start to blur a bit. by having the focus there it skewed his right eye just that much to make the pupil slightly larger than the left. when ya trace ya gotta look for all that stuff or the drawing will look off
http://superheronews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/deadpool.jpeg

Justice41
03-11-2015, 06:55 PM
Also the screen of the monitor on the computer may stretch or squish the pic. on my monitor the left pupil is not round and if I printed this out my printer would squish it even more and really screw up the works.

Stewart Vernon
03-12-2015, 05:23 AM
The one thing I did notice, that it seems like no one else did... Most people didn't trace both straps for his swords. They criss-cross on his chest, otherwise one of them would have to be held on his back by magic!

But the angle of the photograph almost makes that one strap disappear... and going back to the trace that started this post, I didn't see anyone else put that other cross-strap in their picture.

That actually bugged me more than the size of the eyes, though I meant to do a better job on that.