PDA

View Full Version : my inks over FINCH and MaskedRamen

Rob Norton
02-09-2015, 08:24 PM
practicing inking...

first up, over David Finch. im no pro inker, I have no illusions. but I am always trying to get better. gave this a real shot. mostly happy with it but I still obviously have to work on my line control. also its crazy how when I look at the actual art, I looks okay, but when I see the posted scan here, all I can see is all these errors just jumping out at me. so weird.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2015/040/3/1/inks_over_finch_by_robnor-d8hdpvt.jpg

and then, here are partial inks over fellow DW artist MaskedRamen, from his Xmen pages we all did as a group project. never got to finish these, but they were super fun.

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2015/040/a/d/inks_over_another_artist____by_robnor-d8hdqc6.jpg

VANDAL
02-10-2015, 01:37 PM
There are lots of haphazard lines here. I will say this though, you get the faces right and when you are inking faces roughly the size of a dime that is a good skill to have right. My suggestion to you is this, if you spend as much time on the rest of everything as you did on the face of the girl in that Finch piece, you will start to see some dramatic improvement in your work. Yes, they are very different types of lines but the hardest thing about being an inker is to show the same devotion to EVERYTHING, even the boring stuff. You can mask inking mistakes by spending more time on the important elements but the very few working inkers these days spend the same time and devotion to the ENTIRE page.

reyesart
02-10-2015, 04:21 PM
Inking needs to add weight, depth, textures and clarity. Keep in mind the light sources where light is less your lines should be thicker and thinner or even broken where the light hits. Inking is also finishing (rough drawing). Keep inking the more you do the better you'll get and keep having fun doing it.

Rob Norton
02-13-2015, 04:13 PM
There are lots of haphazard lines here. I will say this though, you get the faces right and when you are inking faces roughly the size of a dime that is a good skill to have right. My suggestion to you is this, if you spend as much time on the rest of everything as you did on the face of the girl in that Finch piece, you will start to see some dramatic improvement in your work. Yes, they are very different types of lines but the hardest thing about being an inker is to show the same devotion to EVERYTHING, even the boring stuff. You can mask inking mistakes by spending more time on the important elements but the very few working inkers these days spend the same time and devotion to the ENTIRE page.

its funny you mention the face. I did the body first, starting at the shoulder/bewbs and worked down, completing the whole body. then stepped away and did the face and hair at a different time. I really didn't think I did the face particularly well...so its interesting that you see it as looking good.

its weird that when I was doing this and looking at it after, all seemed "okay". but after I scan it, post it and look, ALL these little errors just come a jumpin out at me. things I tell people to pay attention to. like the little tic lines(or whatever) on her left arm bicep, they are SO haphazard and not straight and consistent and look just horrible. I cant believe I couldn't see it before. I guess its one of those things where you have to really train your eye to see the SMALLEST things. its so easy to get lost in the "whole" of it and let these small things get past you. ah well...I tried. I will try harder next time.

thanks sir

rob

VANDAL
02-14-2015, 02:47 AM
Rob, I go through the same thing with my work. The funny thing is that on the paper my inks always look a LOT better than they do when scanned. I don't quite get why but it's probably because I scan so large that every tiny imperfection is magnified to a degree. It is also VERY difficult to find the right scanner settings I think I finally got it right on my Boba Fett one. It seems at times that my scanner makes my lines too thin, and when I try to fix it in Photoshop it makes them bleed too much. Almost none of my scans look as good as the original pieces though.

Scribbly
02-15-2015, 03:24 AM
its funny you mention the face. I did the body first, starting at the shoulder/bewbs and worked down, completing the whole body. then stepped away and did the face and hair at a different time. I really didn't think I did the face particularly well...so its interesting that you see it as looking good.

its weird that when I was doing this and looking at it after, all seemed "okay". but after I scan it, post it and look, ALL these little errors just come a jumpin out at me. things I tell people to pay attention to. like the little tic lines(or whatever) on her left arm bicep, they are SO haphazard and not straight and consistent and look just horrible. I cant believe I couldn't see it before. I guess its one of those things where you have to really train your eye to see the SMALLEST things. its so easy to get lost in the "whole" of it and let these small things get past you. ah well...I tried. I will try harder next time.
thanks sir rob

That is the right attitude.
Yet, you do have your sharp eye already well trained to see deep in the job of others and making your clever criticism over them pieces of artwork.
Thing is, you must take time and distance after making your own artwork and see it later with cold eyes. There is when self criticism works. The next thing to do is to take notes of what you find is wrong or wonky in your artwork and make an conscious improvement over these same points in your next piece.
Do it, rinse and repeat it for the rest of your life.