PDA

View Full Version : The end of the new 52

Bishop
02-06-2015, 11:20 AM
So, it's stupidity like this that made me quit caring about mainstream comics years ago...

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/02/06/dc-comics-is-ending-the-new-52

Buckyrig
02-06-2015, 12:03 PM
Continuity fetishism is killing superhero comics.

Seriously, the characters just need to be re-imagined each generation, jettisoning old continuity altogether . . . and letting the old timeline play itself out too.

But they keep trying to split the difference and end up clogging the history.

Duane Korslund
02-06-2015, 12:05 PM
well, we all saw this coming when they launched it...it actually lasted slightly longer than we thought...but...yeah...this is why I gave up trying to keep track of all this continuity crap.

What's really funny is that the powers that be at DC are spouting the same Bullshit Rhetoric that they did when they launched the New 52...its been what? 2 years? 3? Not like the landscape of comics and storytelling has radically changed since the initial launch of the New 52. Just more money grabbing marketing. #1's just arent that special anymore guys.

Bishop
02-06-2015, 12:23 PM
Continuity fetishism is killing superhero comics.

Seriously, the characters just need to be re-imagined each generation, jettisoning old continuity altogether . . . and letting the old timeline play itself out too.

But they keep trying to split the difference and end up clogging the history.

Exactly

scrappy
02-06-2015, 10:47 PM
i dont see what's the big deal? they had to stop calling it the new 52 eventually and figured why not do a little promotion by starting new titles when they do. i see nothing wrong with this. nothing changes continuity wise.

Bishop
02-07-2015, 12:23 AM
It says they will be keeping the old continuity and merging them all together. I just hate the whole multiverse, multiple reality, alternate timeline stuff. I want one solid continuous batman title, etc.

Buckyrig
02-07-2015, 12:11 PM
I'm fine with there being several timelines, as long as the creators show restraint and keep them from co-mingling too much. I always liked the Silver Age idea - if not necessarily the execution - that Earth-1 Batman was in his prime, fighting crime while Earth-2 Batman eventually settled down, got married, had a daughter. And I liked Infinity, Inc

The problem is they don't plan this shit. They just watch until everything is clogged beyond comprehension and then they just fix everything with a sledgehammer.

One of my problems with the idea of these characters permanently being in their primes is that all these characters are permanently stuck in Act 2 as a result. There's never going to be resolution to their stories. (The old Earth-2 and MC2 partly addressed this, but one's gone and the other's going.)

Morganza
02-07-2015, 12:53 PM
Yay, new costumes!

Steven Forbes
02-07-2015, 01:07 PM
well, we all saw this coming when they launched it...it actually lasted slightly longer than we thought....

This.
The problem is they don't plan this shit. They just watch until everything is clogged beyond comprehension and then they just fix everything with a sledgehammer.

This.

i dont see what's the big deal? they had to stop calling it the new 52 eventually and figured why not do a little promotion by starting new titles when they do. i see nothing wrong with this. nothing changes continuity wise.

And This.

LastActionHero
06-12-2015, 01:00 PM
As a new comic book reader, I liked New 52, as it had much better graphics and pictures than the old comics.
But this pissed off old comic books readers. I can understand.
The possible solution might be releasing new comics with exact same story, with better pictures. Like a remastered version...