PDA

View Full Version : Size of digitaly drawn pages?

lucardo
01-29-2015, 04:52 PM
Hello! I need your help. I want to draw my comic pages in the computer. I know that the DPI of the page needs to be 300 or more, for it to be printable, but what the size of the page should be? I got a marvel template to draw on, and the size is 3289 x 5083 pixels. Thats extremely big. i need to zoom out at 33% to be able to draw on that.

So my question is, would it be bad if the size in pixels was reduced, yet the DPI was the same?

Also, im ignorant on this, so educate me if possible. I drew one page on this template, witch was at 300 DPI, but then re-scaled it to 72 DPI on photoshop, and the size in pixels also went down, like, it shrinked the page.

DaveyDouble
01-29-2015, 06:28 PM
Pixels/Dots per Inch should be 300 for the final print size of the comic. So if your print is going to be sent as Full Bleed (this is the page where all the art extends PAST the Trim lines, so you'll lose stuff past there) 7x10.5 inches, the print file will have a resolution of 2100x3150 because there are 300 pixels per inch.

If you draw on an 11x17 template it'll be 3300x5100.

When you see it on your screen, which might have a resolution of 1920x1080, you will have to zoom out really far to see the whole image. But the benefit is that you can zoom in and work on small details with ease, instead of leaning in closer to the board than is comfortable.

If you reduced the resolution of the image by reducing the number of total pixels, but kept the DPI the same, you would have a physically smaller image.

This is what I do when I post images online. I keep the DPI at 300, and simply drop the resolution to 660x1020.

That way, when viewed onscreen, it'll still be pretty big, but if you print it out, it'll come out at about 2x3, and you can't blow it up without it looking like shit.

lucardo
01-29-2015, 07:19 PM
Thankyou. Your post was very usefull. Now i understand how it works.