PDA

View Full Version : First attempt at brush inking

Redking84
01-25-2015, 12:13 AM
I've tried the crow quill and microns but when I see great inkwork, the brush is never far. I bought a brush pen and gave it a shot. I await some crits and pointers.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/shockwave_9002/002-2.jpg

VANDAL
01-25-2015, 12:38 PM
First, what you really need to do is get some professional pencils to work with. Amateur pencils will almost always result in amateur inks. Get onto Deviantart and find some pencils by a professional.
Second, I don't see any line variation here even though you are using a brush pen. The whole objective of having a brush or brush pen is to get varying lines. Different inkers will get that effect different ways. I tend to pull my lines,,meaning that I start with the brush barely touching the paper and then pull it down to achieve a nice thin to thick effect. Some inkers throw their lines which means they start heavy and "throw" the line out so it gets thinner. Both methods require a lot of practice and confidence but they are essential to becoming a good inker. You should look up Jonathan Glapion on youtube, he has posted some of the best inking videos out there. Good luck and keep working at it!

Allen (vandal) Chickering

Redking84
01-25-2015, 06:42 PM
Thanks Vandal I'm watching the tutorials and practicing with the brush. I'll post again when I get bet acclimated with brush inking.