PDA

View Full Version : I need a sound effect

Jamesvomit
12-16-2014, 02:18 PM
What is a good sound effect for a Tank driving down a street? I was going with Rumble,Rumble,Rumble. Any other ideas?

Duane Korslund
12-16-2014, 02:21 PM
Hrmmmbbbrrrrr, Hrrrrrrmmmmmbrrrrrrr, hrrrrmmmmbrrrr.......

johnjohn
12-16-2014, 03:35 PM
You could go with two: a deep truck engine for the diesel engine, and the sound of a bulldozer for the tread.

Robert_S
12-17-2014, 01:03 AM
Having heard multiple M1's driving single file on their way to the range, I'll see if I can't express something:

There is a chinking like sound as they tread past, it's like a chain being swung at the pavement repeatedly with no intervals, but it's over shadowed by the engine, which makes a combined rumble and high pitched whine. This whine is not like a diesel truck that haul 18 wheels though. It's very high pitched, almost musical.

Jamesvomit
12-17-2014, 01:07 AM
There is a chinking like sound as they tread past, it's like a chain being swung at the pavement repeatedly with no intervals, but it's over shadowed by the engine, which makes a combined rumble and high pitched whine. This whine is not like a diesel truck that haul 18 wheels though. It's very high pitched, almost musical.

Can you express this with an Onomatopoeia?

Scribbly
12-17-2014, 02:20 AM
Kle-kle-kle-kle-kle-kle-kle-

RRRMMM-RRRMMM!

DaveyDouble
12-17-2014, 02:57 AM
That's pretty close. It never ends though. As long as its in motion. You could span that noise across each frame maybe? Make it look like it extends beyond the panel borders?

The engine reminds me of a Articulated Truck in low gear, high revs.

Robert_S
12-17-2014, 03:32 AM
Can you express this with an Onomatopoeia?

Heh, you would not believe the amount of trouble I have trying to come up with onomatopoeia.

It's made more difficult when the sound is continuous. I have a scene where a US space craft crashes into another ship. Inside, you hear the sounds of...?

It's so difficult to express the sounds of our world in one word.

I think the two suggestions are approaching appropriateness.

DaveyDouble
12-17-2014, 05:34 AM
Also, remember it's not just the letters you use for the sound effect. Depending on whether you hand-draw (I personally prefer this, more flexibility/creativity, but less consistency) or use a font (more consistent, vector based, need the right software).

The engine will benefit from a thick font, to give the SFX weight, while the tracks need a sharper shape to indicate something metallic and quick sounding.