PDA

View Full Version : I don't know where to turn with this question.

Robert_S
12-15-2014, 03:05 PM
It regards copyrights. I asked on quora, but they said to ask a lawyer with the publisher, which I don't have at this time. The script is in chapter 2 and stalled at this point.

In it, the main character plays a game with a non-native speaker by trying to stump her with English words.

He uses Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious from Mary Poppins, the movie. She references this to say she's seen the movie.

Would something like this put a bug up Disney's ass? There is nothing derogatory about the scene. She's teaching him her native language and he tries to stump her with his.

JennaP
12-15-2014, 03:22 PM
In general, simply mentioning a movie isn't going to get you in trouble. (If we couldn't use *any* pop culture references...)

Robert_S
12-15-2014, 05:02 PM
That assuages my fears a bit. I didn't want to eliminate it as it's corny endearing humor that is a characteristic of my main character.

johnjohn
12-15-2014, 05:34 PM
You can check with Disney's legal dept, providing they actually have any specific legal claims to that exact word, but that may net you a bunch of forms and a requested royalty at worst.

Usually well known organizatons will accept, and turn their back on, most passing references (providing they aren't damaging) as they view it as free promotion.

It's usually when their property is earning you a lot of cash that they want their cut.

But if you're still not 100% satisfied with that, then just change the word as there all sorts of long and odd words in the english language that no one has a claim to.

khperkins
12-15-2014, 08:28 PM
I think you'll be fine.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious