PDA

View Full Version : Scripting an IM exchange.

Robert_S
12-11-2014, 03:28 AM
I originally thought I would have the panels go back and forth between the main character typing and shots of the IM window showing the text.

Now I'm thinking that perhaps it might be better to make the texting captions, but that would mean two captions, probably an upper and lower caption or different colored captions.

Should I indicate that in a parenthetical after the caption element? Something like:

CAPTION (BLACK ON BLUE)
Dante Ericsson: Do I know you?

CAPTION (BLACK ON GREEN)
BES: I saw you at the Roxx.

SFX
Clack, clack, clack, clack, clack...bleep.

Is there any formats you think work best?

DaveyDouble
12-11-2014, 03:58 AM
You could have the IM panels sit on their own in between illustrated panels. Something like a message exchange its going to be pretty slow going in terms of beats so the artist could have a lot of fun with the layout.

Artist to writer, my best advice would be; if you don't have a very specific layout in mind, leave it to the artist to decide. They can always mock up various layouts at draft stage. That's their job. If you over describe the page, you're taking away half the fun of being a sequential artist.

Don't worry about the layout or the formatting of the script, just write the scene in prose if you have to. The artist WILL be able to translate it to sequential. If they can't, you've got the wrong artist.

DaveyDouble
12-11-2014, 04:02 AM
Also, you can describe in the scene setup;

- Conversation on smart phones (iPhone style)

A canny art team would be able to digitally paste some screenshots into the line art.