PDA

View Full Version : Question on specs for lettering

DJ Keawekane
12-09-2014, 04:56 AM
My letterer is asking me what is the final size for the comic pages we are going to use and whether to go RGB or CMYK.

I have no idea what they are. I'm an artist by trade that is throwing his hat into the writers chair and now I'm coming up on questions we just never come across.

My plan is to have the issue submitted to Image and if they reject us keep moving on down the chain.

I've checked Images submission guidelines, they have nothing of that sort. But I know a lot of people who lurk here have done work for them.

Could you help me out with this? Preferably without making me feel like an ass thank you very much.

DaveyDouble
12-09-2014, 05:18 AM
RGB is Red/Green/Blue. It's the colour profile for video (anything using a screen or light).
CMYK is Cyan/Magenta/Yellow/Key (Black) and is the colour profile used for printing (anything using ink or pigment).

This is a whole big nasty can of worms mate. You'll create the artwork using digital means, and these will only really, truly, actually work in RGB, but if you're going to print it, it needs to be converted to CMYK.

Don't ask me how it's done professionally. I hate physical media.

Printers like Ka-Blam request RGB files, whereas LithoNinja says CMY is preferred.
Fuck paper, man. Go all digital, all the time.

Scribbly
12-09-2014, 07:42 AM
My letterer is asking me what is the final size for the comic pages we are going to use and whether to go RGB or CMYK.

I have no idea what they are. I'm an artist by trade that is throwing his hat into the writers chair and now I'm coming up on questions we just never come across.

My plan is to have the issue submitted to Image and if they reject us keep moving on down the chain.

I've checked Images submission guidelines, they have nothing of that sort. But I know a lot of people who lurk here have done work for them.

Could you help me out with this? Preferably without making me feel like an ass thank you very much.

Talking about Kablam printing, you can go to their page and see what their printing specs are. You can also print a few book with them and send it to Image comics and other publishers as submission sampler. IMHO.

khperkins
12-09-2014, 09:05 AM
Actually, as an artist should should have come across this question before. If you're going print, the final file needs to be in CMYK (unless like Kablam! they specify RGB), digital just go RGB. If it's just B&W RGB should be just fine. Most colorists working in Photoshop color in RGB, because some effects don't work in CMYK, and then convert to CMYK when finished. It does change the look somewhat, but not much you can do about that. Letterers end up being the last in the chain, and usually have to size the pages for the specs that are needed (because many artists seem to have problems with this, trust me), and also saving the file in the color space needed. POD printers usually have their specs listed on their sites. If you're going to publishers the final files that go to printers would need to be CMYK, but you can send RGB jpegs or tiffs (or a pdf) when submitting.

Steven Forbes
12-09-2014, 11:44 AM
I moved this to the appropriate forum for you.

Todd Klein
12-13-2014, 11:17 AM
Standard sizes for American comics books, including those printed by Image are:

Trim size (actual size of printed book): 6.625 by 10.1875 inches or 6 & 5/8 by 10 and 3/16.

For bleed art, add .125 inches (1/8 inch) on all sides. Bleed art size is
6.875 by 10.4375 inches or 6 & 7/8 by 10 & 7/16.

For the lettering safe area pull in .25 (1/4) inches all around. Safe area is
6.125 by 9.6875 inches or 6 & 1/8 by 9 & 11/16.

If you are drawing digitally, use these dimensions and create final RGB (online) or CMYK (for print) files that are at least 400dpi, 600dpi is best.

If you are drawing on paper, you want to work larger. Most artists use preprinted paper that is the same or very close to these dimensions. If you want to measure yourself, 150% of the bleed size would be 10.3125 by 15.65625 inches, or 10 & 5/16 by 15 & 21/32. Trim would be 3/16 in from that, safe area would be 9/16 in from the bleed. You should scan this art at approximately 66.6% to achieve files that will fit into the correct printed size template.

Working at the correct proportions will save everyone lots of headaches. The most common complaint I hear from letterers is having to work with art that is drawn the wrong proportions.

Comics Commando
12-19-2014, 04:05 PM
Todd pretty much covered it. Your letterer is asking for the print size [or bleed size] and the color mode...so he can set up his lettering files properly.

Use RGB for digital-web only comics. If you plan to print--thru Image as you mentioned, then use CMYK. Be sure the colorist knows the color mode, too--so he uses the correct mode when coloring.

I have a bleed guide that may shed some light on this matter on my website freebies page. Check it out here:
http://www.cartoon-balloons.com/downloads.html

Kurt Hathaway
---------------------------------
Cartoon Balloons Studio
---------------------------------
Lettering • Logos • Pre-Press • Graphic Design • Video
for Print or Web • Entertainment, Advertising or Education!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETGevjPkZso

http://www.cartoon-balloons.com