PDA

View Full Version : Shon's Inking, Crits always welcome

Shon
11-06-2014, 12:10 PM
Hello everyone, I'm working on my inking portfolio for my 2015 con tour in hopes to get noticed by some editors.

Here's a sample of my work and would love some feedback. My background is in Fine Arts so don't worry about my hurting my feeling's. I got bones made out of adamantium.

Here's a link to the pencils as the penciler doesn't want his work reposted.
http://paulosiqueira.deviantart.com/art/Secret-origins-02-Starfire-page-06-479115011

Pencils: Paulo Siqueira
Detailed list of tools used for inking listed by Panel.
Tools: Hunt 102, Raphael 8394 #2
Panel 1: Brush was used for all characters, Side Tables and Chairs. Quill was used for background.
Panel 2: 100% Brush
Panel 3: Brush was used for all characters and the actual beams. Quill for speed lines.
Panel 4: 100% Brush

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2014/303/6/6/secretoriginsstarfirepage6inks_by_barquiel-d84p43i.jpg

Thanks for taking a look at the inks. Hope you dig the work.

Rob Norton
11-06-2014, 12:58 PM
I like it. good pencils to choose from.

that first panel feels a bit light and the girl seems a bit washed out in a way.. I don't know. just doesn't feel like she stands out right.

I want to see more from you sir.

rob

Shon
11-06-2014, 04:43 PM
Thanks Rob glad you like the page. If you want to see some of my older works you can check out my DA page.

http://barquiel.deviantart.com/

I'll of course be posting more art in this thread as well ^ ^

Shon
11-19-2014, 06:58 PM
New Inks over Stephen Jorge Segovia
Superior Carnage Issue 4 Page 4
Link to Original Pencils: http://sjsegovia.deviantart.com/art/Superior-Carnage-page-4-issue-4-450171875

Sadly My brush gave out on me when I was spotting the blacks so this page was done via quill. Took me 6 hours.

BTW I HATE the QUILL :whistlin:
Let me know what you guys think :thumbs:

http://th09.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2014/323/3/9/superior_carnage_issue_4_page_4_by_barquiel-d86z7pq.jpg

Rob Norton
11-19-2014, 07:26 PM
that new page looks amazing to me. very cool

rob

Shon
11-19-2014, 08:13 PM
Thanks Rob, tho I'm only around 30% happy with the results.

Ghost
11-20-2014, 02:19 PM
I really dig your style Shon. Thanks for sharing.

Shon
11-20-2014, 07:26 PM
Thanks Ghost glad you dig the inks.

VANDAL
11-22-2014, 02:36 PM
Your shading needs serious work. Your confidence of line needs work as well. These pages don't look terrible or anything but they lack professionalism. I see an awful lot of shaky lines and your shading doesn't look grey as it should. At first glance I thought the spiderman page was digitally inked but with the wrong type brushes. It may be the way you are scanning your pages as well because the greys are really not flowing into the blacks like they should. You definitely have potential. I am not sure how closely you are tracing the pencillers here but your black areas are correct. You know your light sources and that is the best way to start. Work on your feathering greys. I was where you are once, and this is what I can tell you. Fill in your heavy blacks first, then work on your greys. It's not the most fun way to ink but once you get the confidence in your lines you will be able to sometimes start with the feathering instead of the solids. Keep at it!

Shon
11-22-2014, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the crit Vandal. I don't trace or work digitally. Most of the shake is the Tiff to Jpeg conversion and shrinking the img to fit the website.

VANDAL
11-23-2014, 12:13 PM
I'm not sure what picture editor you are using but in Photoshop I always save my work as JPG. As for the image size you should get a Deviantart account and upload there. Once you have a DA account I will show you how to link your images here, it's confusing at first but really not that hard to do. I have never liked Photobucket or the like because of those file size restrictions.

Shon
11-23-2014, 05:56 PM
I have a DA account and use Photoshop. I scan my work as a Tiff file because thats what I submit my employers. The problem with that is Tiff files have no compression where as a JPG will compress.

For the Carnage Page as I've said before not my best work. Had to ink using a dead brush and having to pull out a quill. I'm almost exclusively a brush inker but needed the quill practice. For the size of the page I took the link from my DA page while forgetting to increase the size.

Currently working on more pages so I most likely wont have time to increase the size of the art. So i'll just re-post the link to my DA page.

http://barquiel.deviantart.com/

mdmodeler
11-23-2014, 11:22 PM
Shon - TIFF files do compress. You can choose the type of compression that is used easily in Photoshop. And the great things about TIFF files is they compress with no loss of detail (lossless compression). JPEG files also compress but at the cost of some of the detail of the original image (this is called lossy compression). I'm not arguing for one format over the other, just correcting the misconception on TIFF files. JPEG is easier to use when displaying image through the browser.

Shon
11-24-2014, 12:52 PM
Ah true I forgot that Tiff's do compress but its the zero loss of detail. Man it's been a long time since my days in college commercial design classes lol. All those tests about file types just bleed away after awhile lol.

Currently working on a page I'll see what I can do via scan settings and such.

Flex
11-24-2014, 03:27 PM
It would be a lot easier to give you some feedback if you had the pencils on display. Without the pencils it's hard to say if your inks are bad or if the artwork that you were inking was bad. Just by looking at what you do have I can see that you need to break your planes up better. You somewhat accomplished this on Pg 1 panel 2. Even though the line weights are thick and thin in some spots, overall the image still has the same line weights.

Practice your cross hatching. The gradual gradation from dark to light is not coming off in the artwork. It looks more like lines intersecting lines that have no form.

Captainwhizz
11-24-2014, 04:45 PM
It would be a lot easier to give you some feedback if you had the pencils on display. Without the pencils it's hard to say if your inks are bad or if the artwork that you were inking was bad. Just by looking at what you do have I can see that you need to break your planes up better. You somewhat accomplished this on Pg 1 panel 2. Even though the line weights are thick and thin in some spots, overall the image still has the same line weights.

Practice your cross hatching. The gradual gradation from dark to light is not coming off in the artwork. It looks more like lines intersecting lines that have no form.

The pencils that he gives links to, you mean?

Shon
11-25-2014, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the crit's. I don't post side by side comparisons because a lot of artists ask inkers and colorists not to do so. As an artist I completely understand why they don't want their art re-posted. So I always give links to the pencils and a general break down of how I inked the page and the tools used.

That's why I ask people not to just look at the inks but the description as well. So people will know it's not digital and can of course give a fair crit. Tho I find not many people doing the crit's are reading or looking at the pencils.

VANDAL
11-25-2014, 12:35 PM
I agree with Shon here. I only post my inks, the pencils are a past life and don't matter once the blacks are down. Asking an inker to include the pencils is pretty much like asking him how well he traces. A true inker is not a tracer, we add our own elements to the art. Yes, I have been fired for not following every little line the penciller put down many many times. No, I am not going to let that stop me from doing things my way. Comics are collaborative. The successful inkers in this industry ENHANCE the pencils while still keeping the spirit of what the penciller intended. I was a "tracer" at first because it made finding work easier. The problem was that I didn't feel like I was enhancing anything or creating anything new. Creating nothing new is now worthless to me. I will only accept jobs from those who understand that I am here to make their work truly shine.

Rob Norton
11-25-2014, 10:41 PM
I agree with Shon here. I only post my inks, the pencils are a past life and don't matter once the blacks are down. Asking an inker to include the pencils is pretty much like asking him how well he traces. A true inker is not a tracer, we add our own elements to the art. Yes, I have been fired for not following every little line the penciller put down many many times. No, I am not going to let that stop me from doing things my way. Comics are collaborative. The successful inkers in this industry ENHANCE the pencils while still keeping the spirit of what the penciller intended. I was a "tracer" at first because it made finding work easier. The problem was that I didn't feel like I was enhancing anything or creating anything new. Creating nothing new is now worthless to me. I will only accept jobs from those who understand that I am here to make their work truly shine.

jeezus Christ. theres nothing wrong with someone wanting to just see what the work looked like before you added to it.

"past life, doesn't matter"...

maybe people just want to exactly HOW you alter something. saying that people are just accusing you of tracing when they want to SEE the pencils you worked on is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. I would want to see exactly what you do and how you work before I hand off something I worked my ass off on, just to have you change it any ol damn way you feel. and if I cant see some befores and afters, and you wouldn't be willing to be "collaborative", then, I don't see the point.

rob

VANDAL
11-26-2014, 11:53 AM
Perhaps it is my fault for being a bit unclear about this Rob. What I mean is this. When Joe Weems inks your work, you know how he inks and what it will "feel" like. Same goes for Scott Williams, Terry Austin, etc. The big name inkers in this business are totally artists in their own right. The penciller knows what he is getting from each inker's individual style without having to see original pencils of some other artist that the inker has worked with.

Rob Norton
11-26-2014, 09:48 PM
Perhaps it is my fault for being a bit unclear about this Rob. What I mean is this. When Joe Weems inks your work, you know how he inks and what it will "feel" like. Same goes for Scott Williams, Terry Austin, etc. The big name inkers in this business are totally artists in their own right. The penciller knows what he is getting from each inker's individual style without having to see original pencils of some other artist that the inker has worked with.

ah.. I see. that makes more sense. with an established inker, yes, I understand what you are getting at.

rob

Shon
11-30-2014, 12:46 PM
I know I haven't posted some new pages but with the whole Thanksgiving thing and commission work I got a bit to busy.

So I figure hey how about some older work I did. This is a published piece when I did a short run on a Web Comic called Wayfarers Moon.

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/208/1/0/way_farers_moon_157_by_Barquiel.jpg

Sadly I have no pencil links or even the old pencil scan. What I can tell you about this page is a good example of why Inker's are not tracers.

The page had only boxes and basic shapes for the background. I was told to add all the textures, line weight, and to make a very specific stone for the roads and walls. I also remember the artist asking for a very wavy line weight.

Anyway I hope you dig :D

xicx
12-01-2014, 09:13 PM
i reall like how clear you have your inking, i can see everything , i'm not an inker but this looks real cool, not too much black or white just nicely balanced

Shon
12-01-2014, 11:39 PM
i reall like how clear you have your inking, i can see everything , i'm not an inker but this looks real cool, not too much black or white just nicely balanced

Thanks glad you dig the inks.

Shon
12-10-2014, 08:13 PM
Just finished this up after finishing commissions.
Tools: Quill for Line work, Brush for spot blacks.
Pencils: Humberto Ramos
Inks: Me

LINKS TO THE PENCILED PAGE
http://elramos.deviantart.com/art/New-Xmen-45-pg2-179808286

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2014/344/5/e/new_xmen_by_barquiel-d89e51y.jpg

Orlan29
12-12-2014, 04:34 AM
Shon:

Again:thumbs: inks! can't say anymore you need more Humberto ramos pages
like testing your inks on his Spectacular Spiderman series with Venom.

Orlando

Shon
12-12-2014, 12:33 PM
Shon:

Again:thumbs: inks! can't say anymore you need more Humberto ramos pages
like testing your inks on his Spectacular Spiderman series with Venom.

Orlando

Thanks man. Yea Ramos doesn't post a lot of his pencils but I dig his style.

Comics Commando
12-21-2014, 12:59 PM
Not bad overall. I didn't read all the comments, so this may already be covered: you need to vary the line weights more....especially with foreground shapes....thicker lines in front--thinner lines for background shapes.

Kurt Hathaway
---------------------------------
Cartoon Balloons Studio
---------------------------------
Lettering • Logos • Pre-Press • Graphic Design • Video
for Print or Web • Entertainment, Advertising or Education!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETGevjPkZso

http://www.cartoon-balloons.com

Shon
12-21-2014, 03:06 PM
thanks for the crit comics commando :D