PDA

View Full Version : Sidekicks - Cameo Appearances for Issues #2-4

russbrett
11-02-2014, 05:32 PM
Want to Appear in an issue of Sidekicks?

Now's your chance!

We are running a very limited Kickstarter Campaign for Cameo Appearances ONLY.

Because of our deal with the Publisher, work on Sidekicks - Issue #2 needs to start soon. We know how much people like the Cameo Appearance Rewards and we wanted to make sure we provided an opportunity for people to get their likeness in the comic.

There are only two Reward Tiers:

1) Cameo Appearance: Your likeness will appear in the book. You might even have some dialogue.

2) Original Art & Cameo Appearance: Not only will your likeness appear in the book, but you will also receive the original page of penciled art that features your appearance.

ALL Backers of this Kickstarter will ALSO receive:

Physical copies of Issues #2-4 signed by Writer/Co-Creator Russell Brettholtz
Two 11x17 Posters
Advanced View PDFs (see the pages as they are completed)
The Behind the Scenes PDF (including character concept art, all all artwork from layouts to letters)
Your name included in the "Thank You" section of the comic book
A PDF copy of all four issues of the comics.

If you or someone you know wants to appear in Sidekicks, now's the time to act.

Many of these Cameo Appearances will NOT be available in the future.

Thank you.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1507558932/sidekicks-cameo-appearances-for-issues-2-4

eDuke
11-03-2014, 12:15 AM
I'm confused, aren't cameo appearances in Kickstarted comics there to help fund the book itself? I thought you got a publisher deal for your book already, so what's the money for?

Steven Forbes
11-03-2014, 01:58 AM
Actually, looking at the new campaign, I'm pretty flabbergasted.

What is the publisher doing for you if you're responsible for everything?

Hell, even ComixTribe doesn't make the creators of the books we publish responsible for printing.

Doesn't sound like a publisher I'd want for myself, but eh, what do I know?

Good luck with this campaign.

russbrett
11-03-2014, 06:56 PM
Even though I have signed a deal with a publisher, I am still responsible for 100% of the art costs (it's still a creator-owned book).

I am also responsible for all costs associated with the Kickstarter (which includes the rewards).

Once the book is made, the publisher will handle all marketing, advertising, printing and distribution costs (not to mention access to their editorial staff).

In short, the Kickstarter exclusive rewards still need to be paid by me. The comics that will appear on store shelves will be paid by them.

So I still need the assistance of a Kickstarter to help raise money for the artwork (and since production on the next issue is underway, I needed to offer the Cameo Appearances as quickly as possible).

Steven Forbes
11-03-2014, 07:09 PM
That's not what the KS says.

It also says you're only looking for $150. (Or, that's what it said when I looked at it last.)

I'm not trying to bust your balls. I'm just trying to understand.

russbrett
11-03-2014, 07:44 PM
That's not what the KS says.

It also says you're only looking for $150. (Or, that's what it said when I looked at it last.)

I'm not trying to bust your balls. I'm just trying to understand.

WHAT IS THE MONEY FOR?

Comic books are expensive to make. I have spent the last several years selling my personal comic book collection to fund this project and to keep costs for Backers as low as possible.

Last year, I brought Sidekicks - Issue #1 to Kickstarter and raised enough money to pay an art team to finish that book (and have a little left over to put towards Issue #2).

The original plan was to do a separate Kickstarter campaign for each of the four issues of Sidekicks, rolling all extra money into the following issue.

But, as mentioned above, since we got picked up by a Publisher we had to move up our timetable.

I, as the creator, am still 100% responsible for the costs of production (paying the art team, printing costs for the physical copies of the comics for Kickstarter Backers, posters, and shipping costs). That means I still need YOUR help to bring these books to completion.

There will be a Kickstarter Campaign in the near future for Issues #2-4, but there will be far fewer opportunities for Cameo Appearances (since Issue #2 and maybe even #3 will be already drawn, and MOST of the Cameos appear in Issue #2).

If you want to appear in a comic book (a comic book that will appear on store shelves, no less), this is your best opportunity to do so. Please don't wait.

As for the $150 Goal, this KS is for the Cameos Only (not to fund the entire series). I wanted to make sure that anyone who pledged would be able to get into the book.

I'm using Kickstarter more as a sales venue than a crowdfunding venue.

Here's the crux: In order to meet my scheduling deadline, I needed to start production on issue #2 by the beginning of November. I didn't want to run a KS for issues #2-4 before issue #1 was complete and in the hands of Backers (the digital copy, at the very least).

BUT, I didn't want to miss out on the potential revenue generated from selling Cameo Appearances (which accounted for 28% of the total money raised in the first KS).

Hence, this (very limited) campaign.

L Jamal
11-04-2014, 09:17 AM
So you're already 4-5 months behind on delivering your first KS and you need more money and you don't see why there is a concern?

russbrett
11-04-2014, 06:25 PM
So you're already 4-5 months behind on delivering your first KS and you need more money and you don't see why there is a concern?

That's not the issue, at all.

I'm offering the opportunity to appear in issues #2-4 of Sidekicks. There is a small window for people to claim a spot because our new artist is starting issue #2 this week.

I have two weeks before the layouts are finished and he starts the fine pencil work.

And I specifically didn't want to launch another KS until issue #1 was delivered.

Hence the very limited KS for only Cameo Appearances.

This has nothing to do with me "need[ing] more money."

L Jamal
11-04-2014, 11:11 PM
This has nothing to do with me "need[ing] more money."

Except that's what you said...
So I still need the assistance of a Kickstarter to help raise money for the artwork

I'm just baffled why you would be late delivering on one Kickstarter and not factor that that into your decision to start a second one.

russbrett
11-05-2014, 12:05 AM
Except that's what you said...

I'm just baffled why you would be late delivering on one Kickstarter and not factor that that into your decision to start a second one.

Your posts seem to imply that I'm running the current Kickstarter to help fund the Rewards for the previous Kickstarter. As if money is the reason for the delay.

That is simply not the case. I have updated my Backers (as well as the followers of the Sidekicks thread on this site and others) on a regular basis as to the production of the first issue, and the reasons for the delay.

And I absolutely DID factor the lateness of the first issue into my decision to start a second. That's why the current Kickstarter is ONLY for those people interested in Cameo Apeparances. By the time the first issue is complete and delivered to Backers, production on issue #2 will be well underway, and the opportunity to include Cameo Appearances will have passed.

L Jamal
11-05-2014, 08:32 AM
Not at all, as I said I was curious why you'd start a Kickstarter for #2 when the one for #1 had not been fulfilled. Now that I've looked at it closer, where is the art from the new artist?

russbrett
11-05-2014, 07:40 PM
Not at all, as I said I was curious why you'd start a Kickstarter for #2 when the one for #1 had not been fulfilled. Now that I've looked at it closer, where is the art from the new artist?

There is no artwork from the new artist yet. He is currently working on the layouts and will start the fine pencil work in 2 weeks.

That's why I'm doing the Kickstarter for the Cameo Appearances now. So that Bong can have the Cameos when he starts penciling.

Bong has quite a bit of professional work under his belt, but I'm hesitant to post published work from other companies on my KS page.

Though, upon review, I see that I didn't include a link to his portfolio page. Thought I did. Need to update that.

Thanks for putting that on my radar.

russbrett
11-06-2014, 09:09 PM
There are only 10 days left! Don't miss your chance to be in Sidekicks!

Pencil work on Issue #2 has already begun. This opportunity won't last long!

Check out these Cameo Pages from Issue #1

http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/o660/SidekicksComics/KSExample_zpsb7f2c65f.jpg (http://s1336.photobucket.com/user/SidekicksComics/media/KSExample_zpsb7f2c65f.jpg.html)
Cameo Appearance Examples from Issue #1 - Pencils by Miguel Mendonca

You can reserve your spot in Sidekicks at the following Kickstarter link:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1507558932/sidekicks-cameo-appearances-for-issues-2-4

russbrett
11-15-2014, 03:56 PM
Less than 2 days left to secure your Cameo Appearance in a future issue of Sidekicks.

Don't miss out on this opportunity to have your likeness drawn into a comic book by the incredible artist, Bong Dazo (Marvel's Deadpool: Merc With a Mouth; Avengers: The Initiative).

Pledge the Kickstarter for this very limited opportunity: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1507558932/sidekicks-cameo-appearances-for-issues-2-4