PDA

View Full Version : Gotham

cheeseisgood1918
10-09-2014, 11:04 AM
Anybody watch this? I watched the first 3 episodes, and so far, I'm not that impressed. I loathed the first episode. The next couple were better, but not great. I thought the writing in episode 1 was pretty atrocious. The production values and direction are pretty good. The acting is decent, though I find Cobblepot's character a little annoying, and he seems to be a focus on the show.

Jim Gordon is so 2 dimensional, it just bothers me. He's like Superman without the powers. Maybe they're doing this intentionally to develop him as a character, but it's just boring right now.

I'm trying to get into it, and I figure I'll give it awhile to find it's legs, but so far it's not an encouraging start.

Duane Korslund
10-09-2014, 11:21 AM
I dunno...I find it mildly entertaining. Its like...filler material. There's nothing else to watch so it at least holds my attention. Is it on par with Breaking Bad? Dexter? Sons of Anarchy? Heavens no...I probably wouldnt add it to my collection of shows I watch a 2nd or 3rd time through...but I'll watch it the first time through, so long as nothing better comes on Monday nights.
Same with The Flash...but I think that was slightly less watchable. Not sure if that show is going to make it all the way though, or drop out after a few seasons. Don't see much long time viability in that show.

TheDeeMan
10-09-2014, 08:13 PM
Without the actual Batman, Catwoman, Penguin, Riddler, etc, in it it's just another cop so of which there are many and better.

And, oh my god, The Balloon Man? Really? Is that the best you can do for a vigilante?

Dee

cheeseisgood1918
10-10-2014, 10:34 AM
Same with The Flash...but I think that was slightly less watchable. Not sure if that show is going to make it all the way though, or drop out after a few seasons. Don't see much long time viability in that show.

Really? I thought the Flash was far superior. Not perfect, by any means, but but much more entertaining. Besides, it was a pilot, so I have to judge it on a slightly different scale. It will take at least a few episodes to get it to where it will start getting good. This is why I'm still giving Gotham a chance as well. But for a pilot, I thought Flash did a decent job.

cheeseisgood1918
10-10-2014, 10:39 AM
Without the actual Batman, Catwoman, Penguin, Riddler, etc, in it it's just another cop so of which there are many and better.

And, oh my god, The Balloon Man? Really? Is that the best you can do for a vigilante?

Dee

Yeah, I was bored to tears with the Ballon Man thing. I wouldn't even mind the cop show aspect so much, if it were done better. As it is, it just doesn't feel like it's done well.

And the parts with Bruce just feel tacked on. Like the writers know they just need to cram a scene with him in there because he'll become Batman, and they think that's what the audience will want to see. They don't seem to serve much of a purpose. Also, Alfred seems to be really underutilized.

Like I said, any of this could change. Hopefully it does.

Duane Korslund
10-10-2014, 10:53 AM
I dunno..I'm looking at Gotham as just a cop show instead of hoping to get that comic book feel...which it certainly doesn't have at this point.
The Flash...I'm really hoping it does well...the pilot had potential...I'm just reserving absolute judgment till I see a little more...but I do have my doubts so far...

Duane Korslund
10-10-2014, 10:57 AM
Also, Alfred seems to be really

I like how Alfred is kind of a dick to Bruce though...definitely a funny twist on how they normally portray Alfred on TV/film. Even Michael Caine towed the line a little too much.

Moonrider
10-10-2014, 01:20 PM
I haven't watched the series yet, but I'm hoping that The Reaper would show up later as a recurring character. He's definitely a better character than 'Baloon Man', and should be able to add the series some much needed plot. We could have Gordon spend a full season trying to capture the elusive vigilante without even the audience know who is under the mask until the finale. I'd watch that.

cheeseisgood1918
10-10-2014, 10:37 PM
I like how Alfred is kind of a dick to Bruce though...definitely a funny twist on how they normally portray Alfred on TV/film. Even Michael Caine towed the line a little too much.
I agree, I like this version of Alfred, that's why I think he doesn't get enough screen time. And don't get me wrong, I'm not looking at it like a Batman show either. But I guess I would rather it not be a cop show either. Why couldn't they make make it a little more like The Wire? As it is, it's basically just showing the good guys and the bad guys, but it's all pretty cut and dry. With the exception of maybe Bullock, everyone is either irredeamably evil, or a boy scout. I think they're missing an opportunity to develope characters in a realistic way that makes you care about them.
I haven't watched the series yet, but I'm hoping that The Reaper would show up later as a recurring character. He's definitely a better character than 'Baloon Man', and should be able to add the series some much needed plot. We could have Gordon spend a full season trying to capture the elusive vigilante without even the audience know who is under the mask until the finale. I'd watch that.

I would watch that as well. That actually sounds like a great idea.

TheDeeMan
10-14-2014, 12:32 AM
This show seems to be coasting on style points over substance and winking at the comicbook peeps with nods to the comic villains and bat boy to try and keep them engaged. And even though it got picked up for a full season today it loses a million viewers with every passing episode. That is it loses a million on-the-day viewers while keeping a constant dvr viewership. But that's a recipe for disaster because eventually there won't be anyone watching this show other then on dvr.

Dee

Rob Norton
10-14-2014, 04:16 PM
i don't really have any interest in watching a show that's based in the Batman world with NO batman. all the supporting characters are good in their own ways, but an entire show about them? with no batman?

just feels like Smallville all over again... which had its good moments... but man ...you just wanted that asshole to put on the damn suit and go BE SUPERMAN.

I don't see "gotham" lasting at all. not to say It wont. or cant. I jus tthink to succeed, it needs to take some serious chances and do something different and unexpected, and have the quality of writing that makes current successful shows so worthwhile.

everything everyone says about this is just that's its "okay" at best...so I don't see myself giving to much of a shit.

im not a DC guy really either, so that's not helping, I admit. but gotham, and flash, and Arrow adding a million characters every week... ugh...

and I still haven't caught Agents of Shield, but still..the best anyone ever say about it is that "its okay.." so I don't feel like im missing anything.

im REALLY hoping Daredevil is good. that one I want to be amazing. I guess we will see.

rob

Duane Korslund
10-14-2014, 04:34 PM
i don't really have any interest in watching a show that's based in the Batman world with NO batman. all the supporting characters are good in their own ways, but an entire show about them? with no batman?

just feels like Smallville all over again... which had its good moments... but man ...you just wanted that asshole to put on the damn suit and go BE SUPERMAN.

I don't see "gotham" lasting at all. not to say It wont. or cant. I jus tthink to succeed, it needs to take some serious chances and do something different and unexpected, and have the quality of writing that makes current successful shows so worthwhile.

everything everyone says about this is just that's its "okay" at best...so I don't see myself giving to much of a shit.

im not a DC guy really either, so that's not helping, I admit. but gotham, and flash, and Arrow adding a million characters every week... ugh...

and I still haven't caught Agents of Shield, but still..the best anyone ever say about it is that "its okay.." so I don't feel like im missing anything.

im REALLY hoping Daredevil is good. that one I want to be amazing. I guess we will see.

rob

Gotham definitely has a Smallville quality to it...you kind of accept that going in. As a matter of fact, the whole premise of the show is constructed around the idea that you're going to have to accept that this will not be a Batman centered Gotham...or even a Gotham heavily steeped in batman mythos, psychology, or hell...even his exciting rogues gallery richly developed. What's that leave? Not much..a crime drama with some comic book type elements. I think its decent enough to watch, barring anything else in its time slot becoming more interesting (which for me there isn't).
It feels like all of the CW/DCverse has the same feel to it. They basically say: "you're not going to get as much out of it as you would get from a comic book, or a movie; so, don't expect it."
Smallville, Gotham, Arrow, even The Flash (I suspect) will be watered down, late teen/early 20's driven demographics with less action and character development and more market driven TV.
Which is why us older people gotta keep comic books alive, and pray that the movies continue to trend in the way they have been. More true to the core of what we loved about comic books in the first place (more or less).

Moonrider
10-14-2014, 09:39 PM
The main premise of the show seems to be that no matter how good Gordon was, he ain't doin' a pretty good job because he failed to stop a tormented kid into becoming a masked vigilante.

Morganza
10-14-2014, 09:55 PM
Another thing is, we all know how these villains end up in the future, there's nothing they can do in this show can top what they do in Batman's time.

I gave this show 4 episodes to win me over, nope. In fact it played out worse than I imagined. At least have some Golden Age DC heroes in the mix.

At least when Batman started out, he fought gangsters and thugs, but we have the Batman doing it! Not cops and detectives.

It's a cop show, and not a good one.

Duane Korslund
10-15-2014, 09:39 AM
Yeah, Monday's episode was pretty bland to be sure.

Luke Noonan
10-16-2014, 09:37 AM
Why they couldn't just make a bloody Batman/Batfamily/Catwoman show I don't understand.

Rob Norton
10-16-2014, 01:18 PM
Why they couldn't just make a bloody Batman/Batfamily/Catwoman show I don't understand.

because=movies

Lovecraft13
10-16-2014, 04:25 PM
I think this show is pure camp under several layers of paint. Gotham certainly needs better writers, and it needs to decide what it wants to be.

TheDeeMan
10-16-2014, 08:36 PM
The main premise of the show seems to be that no matter how good Gordon was, he ain't doin' a pretty good job because he failed to stop a tormented kid into becoming a masked vigilante.

Therein lies the truth of it. And why this show will fail.

Even more to the point it's already settled on the "bad guy of the week" premise. The comic characters are a waste. Penguin and Fish Mooney (God, that name) are the real stars of the show. Riddler pops in to grin and act weird to try and hint at things shimmering below the surface, Catgirl is around to keep the Wayne's murder thing in motion, and Bruce Wayne seems to only be there for the Batman sake of it all. And poor Poison Ivy. I guess she was just worth mentioning for promotional effect because she hasn't been seen since the first show.

But Poison Ivy is the point of it all. The comic characters are just incidental to the show.

Dee

Moonrider
10-16-2014, 09:08 PM
because Birds of Prey

Fixed. :p

Justice41
10-16-2014, 11:05 PM
Only made it 10 mins into the first ep before I started nodding off. Anytime I see characters do poses in shows like this I just know it's gonna be shit. The kittenwoman doing the cat poses was the shit. Couldn't watch anymore of it after that.

cheeseisgood1918
10-16-2014, 11:06 PM
Another thing is, we all know how these villains end up in the future, there's nothing they can do in this show can top what they do in Batman's time.

I gave this show 4 episodes to win me over, nope. In fact it played out worse than I imagined. At least have some Golden Age DC heroes in the mix.

At least when Batman started out, he fought gangsters and thugs, but we have the Batman doing it! Not cops and detectives.

It's a cop show, and not a good one.

This is basically how I feel about the show. Although, I also feel like it could have had potential with the right writers in place.

Could you imagine if the show had been done similar to The Wire? Maybe not season by season, but making it more like a series of vignettes that cover interesting things within the city. The criminals vying for power. Bullock struggling to pick a side. Gordon fighting both criminals and a dirty department. A mayor trying to keep the city from crumbling by doing bad things for good reasons. Alfred trying to impart wisdom on a young Bruce teetering on the edge of becoming as bad as the people he would one day be fighting.

I think it could have gone reasonably darker, and with the right writers, could have been really interesting.

Instead we get wooden performances (the guy that plays Gordon is terrible), and characters written in two dimensions. All of these characters immediately live into the roles they become in the books, with no kind of development.