PDA

View Full Version : Nano 2014

AthenaRose
10-08-2014, 04:43 AM
Who's in? I'm going for a Victorian gothic theme, this year and I have three feisty young ladies awaiting the trials that are in store for them - when I've decided what they are. You can look me up under 'Rosa Heartlily'.

For those who haven't a clue what I'm talking about, visit nanowrimo.org/ (http://nanowrimo.org/). The challenge is to write 50,000 words in 30 days during November. It's a real rollercoaster of a month but very satisfying.

Newt
10-08-2014, 10:24 AM
Well, I've totally failed at NanoWriMo for...I've lost track. Several years, anyhow. Why break the streak? :whistlin:

AthenaRose
10-09-2014, 03:48 AM
Go for it! This might be the year you complete :w00t:

paul brian deberry
10-09-2014, 07:46 PM
Well, I've totally failed at NanoWriMo for...I've lost track. Several years, anyhow. Why break the streak? :whistlin:

i'm with Newt!... no sense in giving up.

Steven Forbes
10-09-2014, 11:06 PM
I haven't even tried. Got too much stuff going on.

Eventually, though. I have ideas. Just no time to implement them.

AthenaRose
10-14-2014, 04:07 AM
I'm using the Nanowrimo Character Sheet (http://blog.nanowrimo.org/post/61118193819/nano-prep-the-official-nanowrimo-character) to build my characters this year. Hopefully it will lead to fewer surprises...

Austin
10-15-2014, 02:31 PM
I tried to do it last year. Wrote one chapter. It coincides with term paper crunch time so my "novel" just sits there unwritten making me feel guilty for a whole month. So, if I'm feeling masochistic, then yeah, totally doing it again.

Duane Korslund
10-15-2014, 02:52 PM
My typical Nano attempt goes:

First week of November: Gung Ho! 10,000 words of brilliance...

Third week of November: Crap, I've only written 10,000 words...1,000 more words done....

Fourth week of November: Well...I made it to 11,000 words....maybe next year...*yawn*

AthenaRose
10-16-2014, 04:38 AM
Don't stop trying! Those novels are sitting inside you, waiting for you to birth them. No birth is painless, after all.

The first Nano is the hardest because you've never done this crazy write-like-a-maniac thing before, but it's also the most rewarding - for the same reason. I've written some great stuff and I've written some truly awful stuff in the past how-ever-many Novembers. I've surprised myself (on both counts!) and hopefully my readers, too. Yes, I have a loyal group of beta readers who agree to have my nano inflicted upon them every year - they are one of the things that keeps me going.

The biggest barrier for me was to silence my inner editor, which I've still not quite managed - but I bribe her with 'we'll spend December editing, I promise'. Of course, I have a number of manuscripts gathering virtual dust...

Every year I tell myself this is the nano that will become a 'real' novel. This year, I might be right. But even if I'm not, November is the time of year when I write like a maniac for thirty days in the hopes that there will be a gem amongst the slurry.

My tips?
a - have a reader or two, people who like you and will encourage you to keep going
b - just write, even when the words aren't flowing
c - set a daily target of 2k words (the minimum is 1667) - or more if you can manage it - because there will always be days when you just can't write

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
10-16-2014, 09:29 AM
I hope to participate but not sure. Editing a book of shorts as it is (with fantabulously excellent help from someone who really knows their things!) that I hoped to put out in December...

But go Rose, Duane, Austin, Steven, and Paul! :banana::banana: If I do join y'alls, I'm good ol jedipencil over there.

AthenaRose
10-18-2014, 03:47 AM
OK, for those who aren't able to commit to 50k words, perhaps you can commit to a few hundred? Every week there's a flash tale prompt over at Black Ship Books (http://www.blackshipbooks.com/flash-tales-week-six-twist-beginning/) - I've picked them all up so far but next week's will be my last until December.

So, how about filling in for me? :slap:

Evan Henry
10-18-2014, 02:17 PM
I wish I had the time for Nano! I've never properly done it before. I started it once (2011, I want to say), but wimped out before breaking 10,000 words... real life, and junk.

It's funny, though, because the following summer I went on a writing binge that did ultimately produce a terrible novel (Rose knows the one I mean), and, while I didn't keep track, I'm pretty sure I wrote at least 40,000 words of it in May 2012, so I am capable--it's just a matter of motivation and free time.

There are a few books I want to write, though--a demonic murder mystery, one about a rock star who faked his death, an alternate history epic. We'll see, but I doubt it...

paul brian deberry
10-20-2014, 08:41 PM
I love the month leading up to NANOWRI and the first week. Then I hate it!!

This year has been extremely shitty and I find myself motivated even more to turn my "hobby" into a real job.

I have a couple ideas... either a lounge lizard that entertains the worst of the worst in Purgatory called NO BUDDY or a pulpy tale called JAGUAR: MAN FROM PARADOX.

I'm gonna take advantage Patreon.com/bigpants. Use the site to help me keep motivated and maybe make a few bucks.

I already have one DW member pledging to see me write.

AthenaRose
10-21-2014, 04:07 AM
Paul - I wish you the best of luck! Here's hoping Nano '14 is the start of something much, much bigger.

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
10-21-2014, 10:00 AM
Good for you Paul! :bounce:

I almost certainly won't do NaNo, if I have to choose between putting time on that or putting time into finishing the editing on my current book, I'll do the latter. It must get out now so the next one can get going.

paul brian deberry
10-22-2014, 12:31 AM
thank you kindly

AthenaRose
11-02-2014, 03:49 AM
Managed 5k yesterday, smashing my target of 2k! No way I can keep that up but a strong start. Anyone who would like to read the result can find it here! (http://the-curse-of-mannerley-manor.webnode.com/chapters/thursday-16th-december-1852/)

paul brian deberry
11-02-2014, 02:05 PM
I beginning to think that perhaps this might be why I will never complete a NANOWRI story!

I radically change EVERYTHING! *sigh*

AthenaRose
11-05-2014, 04:49 AM
Nano is about quantity over quality - you really do just need to write, write, write and worry about editing later.

AthenaRose
11-10-2014, 03:09 AM
Speaking of writing, I passed 20k last night - one day ahead of my own schedule and three days ahead of the Nanowrimo schedule. :bounce:

You can read all 20,007 words here! (http://the-curse-of-mannerley-manor.webnode.com/chapters/) :rolleyes:

Newt
11-10-2014, 11:21 AM
Way to go Rose!

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
11-11-2014, 09:06 AM
woohoo! :thumbs:

AthenaRose
11-13-2014, 03:21 AM
We're currently at 25k. So far, I've only missed one day completely and on most days I've written more than my target of 2k. Still not quite sure how I'm managing it but very pleased that I am!