PDA

View Full Version : Week 193: What Can Apple Teach Us?

Steven Forbes
09-02-2014, 02:50 PM
http://i2.wp.com/www.comixtribe.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/BoltsNutsFeatured-apple.jpg?resize=640%2C290

What? Tuesday already? Time flies when youíre having fun, right?

This weekís question: what can Apple teach us?

I have an iPhone. Before I had my iPhone, I had a Blackberry knockoff, a Blackjack, by Samsung. When the iPhone first came out, I dismissed it as an iPod Touch [which I didnít own]. Then it hit, and was monster, and I wanted one. And when I got it, it was a 3GS. I loved it. Iím not rich, so I didnít get the 4 and the 4S. I went straight for the 5, which is what I have now. I love my phone.

Why? Why do I love my phone? And what does it have to do with comics?

Apple is known for a few things, arenít they? The uncompromising quality of their products, their singular focus on user experience, and, of course, the price.

Apple isnít interested in the low end of the spectrum with their products. Their focus is solely on the high end. This means they donít have a lot of market share due to the cost of their products, but they do have a lot of mind share. You canít go anywhere without someone talking about an iPhone, iPad, MacBook, and others. Yes, people cling to their Windowís based PCís, but they often talk about the Blue Screen of Death, having to update drivers, malware, and the like. For Android phones, thereís talk about malware, phones not working properly after a limited amount of time, and phones not holding their value. Not like an Apple product does.

Click here to read more. (http://www.comixtribe.com/2014/09/02/bn-week-193-what-can-apple-teach-us/)

Morganza
09-02-2014, 03:07 PM
Ah, this hits home for me.

Steven Forbes
09-02-2014, 03:25 PM
How so?

Morganza
09-02-2014, 04:10 PM
The part about creating a comic for myself, but still wanting a level of quality to be associated with it. It's my ugly baby!

LukePierce
09-03-2014, 10:30 AM
Just don't mention the iCloud ;)

But yes, as creators, we need to stand back and interrogate our stories a lot more just to ensure the quality is there. TPG is very much a step in the right direction in exerting some quality control (and it is), but as creators doing this for love, is there more that we can do?

crognus
09-03-2014, 05:11 PM
I wrote a story about a guy who becomes the Supreme Being. Three issues. It’s intensely interesting to me, but it’s very cerebral. Being so cerebral, it’s crap, because it won’t sell. However, I’m still pursuing the story, because I’ve found a way to make it less cerebral, still keep the interest, and still keep the elements that will make a reader think.

This part makes a lot of sense to me. We want to believe our ideas are interesting because we, ourselves, find them interesting, but we also need to be accessible. You could write the most profound, Earth-shattering piece, but if no one likes or understands it, it's crap. On the flip side, we have to make sure we don't lose our voice or sacrifice artistic integrity. I don't want to make Michael Bay-ish stories just because they are accessible. To be a good writer you have to find balance.

Art is a form of communication. We create art to try and convey our ideas, or a part of ourselves, to the reader/viewer/listener/etc. And Communication is most succesful when it presents interesting, relevant information that can also be understood.