PDA

View Full Version : Super: Issue Two Kickstarter

crognus
08-24-2014, 08:26 PM
The Kickstarter for Super: Issue Two (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/753985167/super-issue-2) has launched!

Morganza
08-24-2014, 08:47 PM
I shared your link on FB, good luck!

crognus
08-24-2014, 08:48 PM
Thanks!

ponyrl
08-24-2014, 08:49 PM
Backed! Good luck!

crognus
08-24-2014, 09:10 PM
Thanks, guys! I appreciate it!

crognus
08-24-2014, 09:11 PM
The link to the PDF is working for you guys right?

crognus
08-25-2014, 01:11 PM
I just got Staff Pick for the Kickstarter! Wahoo!

Schuyler
08-25-2014, 06:39 PM
Backed. Good Luck!

crognus
08-25-2014, 06:57 PM
Thanks!

RskimB
08-26-2014, 02:15 AM
i will be backing. best of luck!

crognus
08-26-2014, 03:31 AM
i will be backing. best of luck!

Thanks! I really appreciate it!

Charles
08-26-2014, 12:34 PM
I backed it (at the $1 level). The DRM-free quip and pledge-level combo persuaded me.

I also downloaded and read Issue # 1.

crognus
08-26-2014, 12:56 PM
I backed it (at the $1 level). The DRM-free quip and pledge-level combo persuaded me.

I also downloaded and read Issue # 1.

I saw! Thanks, Charles. I hope you enjoyed the first issue.

safiashaik
08-28-2014, 04:20 PM
I'll be sharing your link on FB, and Twitter!

Please check out my post about a supernatural kick starter :)

Thanks!

crognus
09-07-2014, 01:29 AM
Hey, guys, just wanted to give you an update on Comicon and Super. I sold nearly 600 copies of the first issue! It was crazy, I could not seem to get a breather at all...My friend handed me a Monster to help me to get through the day, and it took me nearly two hours to finish the thing because people were walking by and asking questions non-stop!

Anyway, once I put the funds from Comicon into the actual KS we will be about 40% of the way to our goal!

Steven Forbes
09-07-2014, 01:47 AM
WOW!

600 copies is HUGE! Very nicely done, Josh!

crognus
09-07-2014, 10:37 AM
Thanks!:D

I only sold 100 on the first day. I'm not sure if it was that I didn't quite have the pitch down yet or that on the first day people just like to browse, but Friday and Saturday were a blast.

The whole "pay what you want" model worked better than I hoped. Very few people paid less than cover price, and the amount of people that tossed a $5 or $10 more than made up for it. The best part was, everyone who walked away felt like they got a deal (even if they paid MORE than the cover price.) It seemed like everyone was happy and excited to read it.

crognus
09-07-2014, 02:11 PM
I DID notice a lot of other no-name indie comic creators at Comicon were not as succesful. So if anyone out there interested in how we worked the pitch, this is what we did:

(Keep in mind this is a pitch geared for readers, not vendors or press. I have not really gotten good at that yet...)

We found a multi-person pitch worked best. I had one friend stand out in front and open with the question, "How's it going? Do you like comics?" At Comicon this will get a large number of people to say "Yes" and walk over to your booth. My friend would then say something along the lines of, "Oh cool, why don't you check this out it's pay what you want? It's called Super. Feel free to take a look (hand them sample copy). The writer over there, Josh, is a local indie writer. If you want to hear more about the story, he'd be happy to talk to you about it."

Once they were transfered to me, if they were wearing a costume, I would always compliment the costume first. Knowing your Dr. Whos, anime/video game characters, and being a geek and helps a lot. I would then do a 5-10 second pitch on the premise, something like "So this is a new series I'm working on, it's basically a story about a teenager with super powers in the real world. There's absolutely no super villains and it's a bit more topical, hard-hitting, and goes into some more real world issues." I didn't really say too much more, and let them just look through the book. Simple is best.

After they had a few seconds to look, or ask questions I would say, "It really is pay whatever you want, set your own price. We are just trying to get the word out about the Kickstarter we are running. There's a link on the back where you can get some cool rewards like original art, sketches, etc. You can even get yourself drawn in to the next issue!" As for the closing line, what we found worked best was, "Would you like me to sign a copy for you?" It was far more effective than lines like, "Would you like to buy a copy?" or "Are you interested in picking up a copy?"

When utilizing the pay what you want model, if someone hands you more than the cover price, instead of asking "How much would you like to pay?" using lines like, "How much change would you like?" worked amazingly. Also it was better to have a third friend handle the register so I could continue with some small talk or answer more questions.

Some other basics I found were: Always stay enthusiatic, positive, confident, but not pushy. Posture makes a huge difference, don't slouch and play with your phone, and try to be funny and likeable.

Anyway, hope this is actually helpful to some other small guys like me out there.

crognus
09-08-2014, 08:13 PM
Alright, guys! We have 15 days left on our Kickstarter and we are 41% of the way to our goal. Please keep spreading the word, and the word is Super.

:bounce:

Charles
09-17-2014, 10:38 PM
73 Backers
$5,137 pledged of $6,800 goal
5 days to go

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/753985167/super-issue-2/exp-trend.png

This one got a big boost, today.

Schuyler
09-23-2014, 08:58 PM
Congrats Crognus!

I cannot believe you have to dress up like a superhero. Can't wait for the videos!

crognus
09-24-2014, 07:43 PM
Yes, it did! That was a crazy final day. Haha. Thanks everyone. :har:

crognus
09-24-2014, 07:48 PM
I cannot believe you have to dress up like a superhero. Can't wait for the videos!

Me neither. I didn't think it was going to happen, but a man is slave to his words. :laugh:

The video is likely to come out after the actual comic though. I think my focus should go there first. Plus...it will give me some time to lose some weight I've put on over the last few months.

I've been spending way too long in front of the computer lately, and I don't want to run around in spandex with a gut. Haha.

Alyssa
09-24-2014, 09:19 PM
I've been spending way too long in front of the computer lately, and I don't want to run around in spandex with a gut. Haha.

Hey, you never gave full details on the outfit. Rock a corset! Suck you in like a sausage. :har::har::har:

Grats dude! :banana:

Kevinlearn
09-25-2014, 10:35 AM
Nice! Awesome to hear!