PDA

View Full Version : [Discussion] Resources for Writing Historical Fiction

GuavaLava
08-18-2014, 02:41 PM
I was wondering if any of you guys had any resources/articles about writing historical fiction. I've found some articles on writing prose but nothing for comics. Maybe we can use this post a resource to compile the best articles.

Also, I am interested writing historical fiction within the context of a genre (think Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter). Any tips or articles on that would help as well.

Thanks.

Austin
08-18-2014, 08:24 PM
This is probably going to sound terribly unhelpful, but the best advice I've come across-- which also happens to be the advice that I've come across the most-- is to read as many damn non-fiction history books as you can get your hands on.

B-McKinley
08-18-2014, 09:19 PM
I'd use books on writing historical fiction in general. All of the information for writing prose will be equally applicable to comics. If you want to combine that with a genre - read up on that genre.

Scribbly
08-19-2014, 05:46 AM
As reader of historical fiction, I have one request: Do your research over the time period you want write.
Then fly free over with your fiction characters.
It could be that the people who like read historical fiction may also know about the historical period very well.

For tips online,
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=writing+historical+fiction+novel